Pamir - Page 5 - Ships Nostalgia
21:35

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Pamir

User Tag List

Old 18th November 2019, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Youde View Post

From all accounts the pub was the Fox & Hounds at Barnston.
My father used to drink in the F&H every week with his pals. The banter was out of this world....
Old 18th November 2019, 15:38

The F&H is a very different place today from the way it was in Pepper's day, fifty-odd years ago.Today it is a gastro-pub with a large car-park.

Previously it had no car-park. It was (and remains) on the south side of Barnston Dip, where the narrow road still needs to be negotiated with great care. Until the car-park was developed (twenty years ago?), access was virtually limited to pedestrians only. In consequence its business was limited and it was often said of the F&H (and certainly in Pepper's day) that one had to be a member to drink there. In consequence my own few visits were only very rare and I never did meet Pepper.

Your father must have been one of the privileged few! The late (and much missed) Pilot Tony Schofield, who lived but a few hundred yards from the F&H, was another .
Old 18th November 2019, 17:36
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1960

Not about the Pamir as such, but in response to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
....In an article written in 1950 about Harry's experiences on that voyage, he mentions that they signed off articles in Penarth, so I assume that in those days Penarth must have been the designated address for both Barry docks and Penarth.
I personally have signed on and off in Barry in the 60's and Barry was stamped in my Discharge book.
JET

My discharge book was issued from the Barry office in 1955, and I signed off my last voyage in Barry in 1960.
Given how busy Barry Docks were long before the 50s, I'd be very surprised if it didn't have its own MM Office long before then.
Penarth did have its own Mercantile Marine Offices, but I don't know when it ceased operating. See screenshot...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot at 2019-11-18 16-31-37.jpg (24.4 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by norm.h; 18th November 2019 at 17:41..
Old 19th November 2019, 10:41
Active: 1955 - 1960

I thought I had a vague recollection of seeing the Pamir and the Passat in Barry No 2 dock.

"They could not unload at Penarth, so spent some time there while the owner considered other arrangements.

They were eventually taken to the Ranks Mill at Barry Docks because they had better unloading equipment. When they opened the hatches, the holds were full of rats. These had infested the ship during its long wait because the grain was a food source for the local rat population.
"

Source: https://www.penarthtimes.co.uk/news/...-65-years-ago/

Screenshot of Barry Mercantile Marine Office
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot at 2019-11-19 09-38-31.jpg (20.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 20th November 2019, 00:47
Active: 1955 - 1971

Hi Norm,

Thanks for resolving my question about signing off at Penarth.

Regards, John