Aden after we left - Ships Nostalgia
07:10

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Aden after we left

User Tag List

Old 19th September 2010, 20:21

Aden after we left

Can anyone remember the name of the wheeler dealer in Aden who sold electrical gear ? We called there on the Mahout well after the Brits had gone ( 1970 ish)and ended up in some guys establishment where we bought fancy Akai tape recorders ( state of the art at the time) and multi band short wave radios . While he "aquired " the gear we had a meal in his place then went back with the loot. I remember this as I recently found a reciept from HM customs at Heathrow for 10 ...duty payable. the tape recorder ...valves....deadweight......museum piece now ...FM ...digital unheard of.
Old 19th September 2010, 21:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by john g View Post
Can anyone remember the name of the wheeler dealer in Aden who sold electrical gear ? We called there on the Mahout well after the Brits had gone ( 1970 ish)and ended up in some guys establishment where we bought fancy Akai tape recorders ( state of the art at the time) and multi band short wave radios . While he "aquired " the gear we had a meal in his place then went back with the loot. I remember this as I recently found a reciept from HM customs at Heathrow for 10 ...duty payable. the tape recorder ...valves....deadweight......museum piece now ...FM ...digital unheard of.
cant remember his name .But remember it well the first thing i baught was a tranny radio national(before they became national panasomic red and white havnt times mioved oni had a few thing from him over the years .I had my tranny for years it must have done some miles .I always took it watch on deck with me .I still had it when radio luxebourg stopped broadcasting to the uk then left it at mams when i got married .But do know it was working well into the eightyies earley nineties .Dont make stuff like that anymore