bp s own fault ? - Ships Nostalgia
23:21

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

bp s own fault ?

User Tag List

Old 19th June 2010, 04:28

My location
bp s own fault ?

was with bp tankers 71 -77 and stayed in contact with old shipmates and they said that around 84 bp could not get rid of certified british crews quick enough and replace them with whatever was cheaper,so was this attitude of management allowed to permeate all levels of the company until we arrive at the gulf oil spill ?.
Old 19th June 2010, 06:05
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1968 - Present

My location
I very much doubt it. What everyone seems to forget is that the oil rig in question was actually owned and operated by Transocean, an American company, on behalf of BP. It was on charter to BP, but the crew were all Transocean employees.
Old 19th June 2010, 08:07
Active: 1972 - 1982

A fact that has been conveniently forgotten by the American President and the American media. Torrey Canyon, Exxon Valdez, Piper Alpha all USA accidents carefully forgotten by the USA. BP have their faults, but this was not one of them
Old 19th June 2010, 10:14
Active: 1969 - 1973

Unfortunately, regardless of fault, it was (is) BP's project and their media management of the incident has not been good. In these circumstance one has to eat copious amounts of humble pie. The CEO is paid $6m a year to handle these things and at the moment he is doing about as well as the England football manager!
Old 19th June 2010, 11:28

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishandel View Post
A fact that has been conveniently forgotten by the American President and the American media. Torrey Canyon, Exxon Valdez, Piper Alpha all USA accidents carefully forgotten by the USA. BP have their faults, but this was not one of them

Including Union Carbide's, Bhopal catastrophe!
Old 20th June 2010, 08:14
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ferguson View Post
Including Union Carbide's, Bhopal catastrophe!
Here we go again. Anyone remember D-Day?
Old 20th June 2010, 09:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltic Star View Post
Here we go again. Anyone remember D-Day?
Yes, I do, along with the Marshall Plan, and the two year delay into the Second World War for reasons which were understandable to most Americans at the time, and I also remember many other totally irrelevant historical issues.
But what has that got to do with this?

Hypocrisy is hypocrisy, and Bhopal is, and was, a total disgrace. It is not anti-American to point out such comparisons.

Just as constant pollution in the Niger area whilst Western nations (including America) happily take the oil and the proceeds reflects the convenient disconnection with the effects on others whilst getting understandably very worked up when it happens on our own doorstep.
Old 20th June 2010, 11:00

My location
Quote:- "convenient disconnection"
I wish I'd thought of that, a perfect phrase to describe the mind-set.
Old 20th June 2010, 18:16
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1986

While appreciating it was probably poor PR for Hayward to go sailing yesterday, perhaps the talking heads of the Obama regime who have been in the media slagging him off for it, may like to tell us how much time Obama has spent on the golf course, while his troops have been in the killing fields of Iraq and afghanistan.
Old 20th June 2010, 22:06

Hey dont worry fellas, BP got the leak fixed, they put a wedding band around the pipe and it stopped putting out