The Reunion - DECISION TIME! - Ships Nostalgia
06:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

The Reunion - DECISION TIME!

User Tag List

Old 21st August 2010, 19:06
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1975

My location
The Reunion - DECISION TIME!

Gentlemen. We are now some 2 months away from the reunion and I need to start firming up numbers with the hotel. The process of organising this is not helped by the fact that I am in latter stages of selling my house ( my own fault due to poor planning I realise!) and in the lead up to the reunion I will be in temporary accommodation but the marvels of the internet will allow me to log in from various points of the country.

I am leaving for a one week holiday on Sunday 22nd August and in that time I would be grateful if all attendees can confirm to me either on this thread, or by Private Message if you prefer, that they still intend being there for the big event. This is particularly important for people who have advised that they hope to attend because as it stands I have included them as 'positives' in my head count. I do not at this stage have to confirm final numbers to the hotel but will need to do so one month before the event. Please check the attendees list below to see that your accommodation requests are correct.

If I do not know your 'real' name as opposed to your log in name can you please let me know and if the list does not include the first name of your Mem also please let me know.

I have had a problem with my originally chosen coach company as they let me down but have now found another one albeit that we now have a 49 seater coach for marginally more money but it will not affect the costings too much. Unless you let me know otherwise I am assuming that if you, and your partner, are attending the event you WILL take the coach - I realise some local attendees may not take this option but I have to start somewhere. It is worth repeating that the route is:- depart hotel 13.30 and travel via Bidston Dock through the Birkenhead dock system, through the Birkenhead Tunnel, down the Dock Road in Liverpool to Seaforth Container Terminal, back the same way for a second look, circumnavigate the 3 Graces at the Pier Head for a look at Head Office - presuming traffic regulations allow - arrive at The Maritime Museum at Albert Dock about 14.30. Those with alternative plans can depart at this time. Depart Museum at 17.00 for return to the hotel.

Dinner will be at 19.30 at the hotel and the following is an extract from the event contract and I hope the menu meets with everyone's approval:-

DINNER : Number of attendees – to be confirmed

To be served at 7.30pm in the Portcullis Restaurant which will be privatised

Chef’s Chicken Liver & Cognac Parfait
Served on a Crisp Salad with a Toasted Brioche, Apple & Cider Chutney
Slow Roasted Loin of Pork
Topped with Baked Apples, Dressed with Calvados Sauce
Crème Brulee
Crystallised Sugar Topping & Topped with Strawberries
Coffee & Mints

VEGETARIAN OPTION : Menu to be confirmed

I am in contact with several people and hope the numbers will increase in the not too distant future but as it stands the attendees as of 21st August are:-

Sam and Diana Baxter (no accom.)
Erin and Mary Jackson (no accom.
Tony and Judy Sprigings (Sat night only)
Dave and Julie Woolfenden (no accom.)
Mr and Mrs Tony Crompton
Stuart and Phyl Smith
Ian and Debbie Roberts
Paul Georgeson and ??
Max and Carol Benson (no accom.)
Harry and Beryl Nicholson
Stan and Gillian Fraser
Donald and Margaret Macleod
Roger and Marian Bentley
Hugh and Avril Donaldson
Mr and Mrs P Swift (Sat night only)
Richard and Lynda Ellerington
Mr and Mrs D Byrne
John G (no accom.)
Masirah
Hugh and Ann Shuttleworth
Tony and Rosemary Selman.
Noel and Betty Grayson
Charlie Drought ( no accom.)
Sidsal (hopeful)
Neil Fillingham (hopeful)

Everyone I have spoken to is looking forward to the event and I am sure we will have a great time.

Kind regards to all

Tony

Last edited by Tony Selman; 21st August 2010 at 19:09..
Old 21st August 2010, 22:32
Department: Navigation
Active: 1958 - 2015

I'm in Toronto for a week visiting Son, Daughter in Law and new Grandaughter.

Menu and trip looks good to us

Ian
Old 23rd August 2010, 12:05
Department: Navigation
Active: 1944 - 1989

Tony, Thanks for the update info. Judy & I will be travelling North on the Saturday and therefore will only be able to get to the Hotel sometime during the afternoon ergo we will not be able to join the coach trip. Kind regards. Tony
Old 23rd August 2010, 12:47

Smile David Woolfenden

Tony,

Very many thanks for the update. I can confirm that Julie and I will be attending reunion dinner Saturday evening but will not avail ourselves of the coach trip into Liverpool.

Best wishes

David
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:15

My location
I can confirm our booking for the full programme, including the coach.

We'd like the vegetarian option.

Thanks for all your effort, Tony.

Harry Nicholson
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:22
Department: Pilotage
Active: 1954 - 1998

My location
Thank you for the update Tony and efforts on our behalf.

May we confirm Friday and Saturday night's accommodation, the dinner and coach trip. ( The whole event)

Best wishes

Tony & Barbara Crompton
Old 23rd August 2010, 16:37

Sam and Diana Baxter, Erin and Mary Jackson would like to confirm that they will be attending BUT just for the meal. I am sorry but we will be unable to join the coach trip. We will be at the hotel for 7.00pm. Please could you confirm the venue, I dont check this website very often!! Diana Baxter
Old 24th August 2010, 00:57

Tony
Hugh & Avril Donaldson for the dinner and apres sniffters. Hugh for the coach tour as Avril and the boys wil be "on tour" in Liverpool anyway.
Thanks again for all your efforts
Rgds
Hughie
Old 24th August 2010, 16:51
Active: 1950 - 1961

Roger and Marian Bentley. Yes please for Coach tour. Looking forward to it!
Salaams, Roger
Old 26th August 2010, 15:27

Brocklebank Re union

Dear Tony,

I very much regret that Loraine and I will have to call the meeting off as I have not been well of late and am unsure as to the next course of remedial action.

Please accept my apologies as we were looking forward to seeing everyone but unfotunately it is not to be.

Sincere best wishes to all for a very happy and succesful re union

Kindest Regards

Peter and Loraine Swift

Last edited by Captain Peter J Swift; 26th August 2010 at 15:28.. Reason: Mispelling
Old 2nd September 2010, 12:38

My location
Quite a few of you have responded to this message but quite a few have not. I am sure many, if not all, of you still intend arriving but I am in the process of trying to pull together a total list of attendees and sort out Friday arrivals from Saturday arrivals, coach trip or no coach trip etc etc. If you see that you have not confirmed your attendance in THIS message ( or by Private Message to me) and given me your chosen options then will you please do so. I would sooner have too much information than miss someone out.
I know some people do not come on this board much so if you know someone who might not know about this then please let them know. In a couple of days time I will send Private Messages to people who have previously indicated attendance but have not responded.
Old 3rd September 2010, 23:12

My location
Hi Tony
Stuart and Phyl Smith will be attending. We should arrive around 7pm Friday and will stay for the whole thrash including Saturday coach trip. I am a bit nervous as I only know Tony Sprigings from the Mahout and he wont remember me but am looking foward to it very much.
Stuart
Old 5th September 2010, 13:17

My location
Stuart, I think there a few people who only know a couple of names from the past but without exception all the messages I get say everyone is looking forward to meeting up with some new/old faces. I, for instance, am looking forward to meeting you chatting to you about your extensive photo collection and excellent messages you post on SN.
Old 5th September 2010, 16:26

My location
Sign me up for everything, Tony. Will arrive Friday evening and stay to the bitter end. Ann and I would like to take the coach trip.
Old 5th September 2010, 22:22
Department: Electrician
Active: 1963 - 1975

No need to be nervous Stuart, we'll also be arriving Friday so I'm sure you'll be very welcomed once identified! Tony last seen in '70 (Mahsud), Hugh and Ann '72 (Mahseer) a lot of years but doesn't seem that long ago. The Mahout was always my favourite and is the only one that has hung permanently in my "office". Reckon it will be a good weekend. Don.
Old 5th September 2010, 23:58

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Smith View Post
Hi Tony
Stuart and Phyl Smith will be attending. We should arrive around 7pm Friday and will stay for the whole thrash including Saturday coach trip. I am a bit nervous as I only know Tony Sprigings from the Mahout and he wont remember me but am looking foward to it very much.
Stuart
Stuart, full of apprehension I went to the meeting in York, 'Friends in the North'. I knew none of those there, had never met or sailed with any of them but we had common ground - Brocks. It took about three and a half minutes to enter the circle and most of that was getting my beer. I went to the second one like a shot, no such apprehensions, I was going come H or HW. October is the same......wild horses, etc. I will have to put my brother in Shropshire on standby for my mother that weekend, don't want it disrupting. I think the attendee I sailed with most recently is Dave Woolfenden, and that was quarter of a century ago

Last edited by R798780; 6th September 2010 at 00:03..
Old 6th September 2010, 00:08
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Tony ;
Looks like I will not make it ; or brother Cameron who is now retired and off to France for a break . If I do by chance get over I will tow Allan Attack to the event .

I will however send you some snaps of Sam Baxter ( Capt ) and Paul Georgeson from the Mahout many years ago . I will also send an e mail of " regrets " which you may choose to read at the dinner .

Kind regards Derek
Old 6th September 2010, 10:44

My location
Sorry neither you nor Cameron can make it Derek. The photos will be welcome.

Kind regards

Tony
Old 6th September 2010, 17:59
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1967

Tony,
Gill and I will be there Friday through to the end, and we will take the coach on Saturday. Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Regards,
Stan
Old 10th September 2010, 18:22
Active: 1952 - 1983

Just heard of reunion where and when is it would like to attend meal only if possible Ian & Annette Poole
Old 10th September 2010, 20:14

My location
Ian, if you read through the other threads relating to the reunion then you will get a full flavour of what is happening. It takes place at the Leasowe Castle Hotel on the Wirral. I will gladly book you in for the meal only if you are happy with the arrangements. Please post on here to let me know.

Regards

Tony
Old 13th September 2010, 15:18

Hi Tony Annette and I will be attending the evening dinner only
We are only sorry that Noel & Betty Grayson will not be attending,
but there are other names I recognize
Looking forward to it
Ian
Old 17th September 2010, 22:07

Tony I forgot to add to my earlier reply .Would you please book Annette and I
in for the meal only
Regards Ian Poole
Old 28th September 2010, 00:01

My location
Tony

So infrequently have I stayed at hotels in UK - and have missed previous reunions, that I have to ask the question. Rig of the day? Any suggestions? Apart from Cunard seminars I stayed in a London(ish) hotel for my younger brothers wedding in 1971, and St Albans for my youngest brothers wedding in 1999.

Is it all smart casual or is it jacket and tie. Don't often wear a tie - much conditioned by tropical whites - so at latest grand-daughters christening forgot to pack a tie. Not only did my son have a matching tie, he had one that I was prepared - no, sorry - one that I was happy to wear!!! ((and the priest was 75, with at least two sub teen children one of which he was trying to get into the school at which my son teaches maths))

And also for the memsahibs, (I recall John Laing's wife [ex BA stewardess 'I'm Fiona, Fly me'] when he relieved me on Oloibiri, she overdressed)