British Reliance - Ships Nostalgia
01:57

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

British Reliance

User Tag List

Old 4th September 2011, 17:41

British Reliance

I found a couple of pics of the Reliance. The first one was taken in the Channel at the time of the 1979 Fastnet disaster when we went to the aid of a sinking French fishing boat. If you look closely you can see the crew in a liferaft just about to be rescued by a lifeboat.

It was scary for them, but they survived ok.

The second pic shows the deck, cant remember where we were at the time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rescue.JPG (28.2 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg reldeck.JPG (32.8 KB, 176 views)
Old 4th September 2011, 23:03
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1972 - 1982

2nd picture looks like Lions Head at Capetown
Old 29th October 2013, 09:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatmadman View Post
I found a couple of pics of the Reliance. The first one was taken in the Channel at the time of the 1979 Fastnet disaster when we went to the aid of a sinking French fishing boat. If you look closely you can see the crew in a liferaft just about to be rescued by a lifeboat.

It was scary for them, but they survived ok.

The second pic shows the deck, cannot remember where we were at the time
Sorry this is so late but just viewed this page today .There is a great photo of the old Reliance laying up in ice off Stockholm 1970,in the 100th BP anniversary magazine .With 2 other tankers Fulmar and Merlin (not sure ) ?. It was my first trip to sea and had joined in Stockholm . We were stuck for weeks in the ice ,some of us actually walked across to one of the other ships for essential stores .Beer and a few tea bags. I was in the navy 2 months and did one trip Stockholm to Wallsend for d/dock. Alan Scott(leckie)
Old 4th June 2014, 10:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by retfordmackem View Post
Sorry this is so late but just viewed this page today .There is a great photo of the old Reliance laying up in ice off Stockholm 1970,in the 100th BP anniversary magazine .With 2 other tankers Fulmar and Merlin (not sure ) ?. It was my first trip to sea and had joined in Stockholm . We were stuck for weeks in the ice ,some of us actually walked across to one of the other ships for essential stores .Beer and a few tea bags. I had only been in the navy 2 months and first trip was Stockholm to Wallsend for d/dock. Alan Scott(leckie)