Liferaft survival course - Ships Nostalgia
23:57

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Liferaft survival course

User Tag List

Old 26th September 2013, 13:35

Liferaft survival course

While rooting around in some old papers recently I came across my Liferaft Survival course certificate from 1977, taken at Lowestoft. It was a very long time ago, but I seem to recall that it had been decreed that all senior officers should have to do the course, which resulted in some corpulent individuals in their 50's turning up looking decidedly apprehensive. Some of them made a prodigious splash when jumping into the swimming pool from the top board with their lifejackets on! I can still remember the procedure for hauling people into the liferaft from the water - two in the raft, one either side of the "entrance", lean out and grab the victim's shoulders, push them down into the water then haul them over the side as they bob back up again. Unfortunately the larger the victim the further you had to push them down in order to get enough "upthrust" to heave them over the side. As we pushed a particularly large Chief Engineer under the surface of Oulton Broad for the third time, I can remember thinking " Please don't let me get posted to a ship with this bloke.... he's going to remember this!"
Old 26th September 2013, 16:27
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hodges View Post
While rooting around in some old papers recently I came across my Liferaft Survival course certificate from 1977, taken at Lowestoft. It was a very long time ago, but I seem to recall that it had been decreed that all senior officers should have to do the course, which resulted in some corpulent individuals in their 50's turning up looking decidedly apprehensive. Some of them made a prodigious splash when jumping into the swimming pool from the top board with their lifejackets on! I can still remember the procedure for hauling people into the liferaft from the water - two in the raft, one either side of the "entrance", lean out and grab the victim's shoulders, push them down into the water then haul them over the side as they bob back up again. Unfortunately the larger the victim the further you had to push them down in order to get enough "upthrust" to heave them over the side. As we pushed a particularly large Chief Engineer under the surface of Oulton Broad for the third time, I can remember thinking " Please don't let me get posted to a ship with this bloke.... he's going to remember this!"
That course was a lot of fun,acouple of our mates went to losstoft and qualified as instructers then all on board ASN ferries did the course at ipswich.I remember we had to pull a raft upright and of course the whole raft would come on top of us.

jim
Old 26th September 2013, 16:45
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 1986

Found my old Lowestoft survival course certificate the other day as well Steve, strange the stuff that turns up.
Can't say I enjoyed it that much, bouncing around the harbour in that rubber dingy, few days extra leave though.

2G
Old 26th September 2013, 16:52
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1983

My location
Did my Mates ticket at Lowestoft College (interesting place to say the least) and were told some stories of the very early survival courses by the instructors.
The one that sticks in the mind is where they lost a liferaft full of Masters and Chief Engineers in fog on the North Sea.
Needless to say the raft was eventually found but that is the reason it all moved to Oulton Broad soon afterwards.
Old 26th September 2013, 20:25
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1972 - 1982

I was asked by Fleet News to take some photo's of the course I was on for publication. I remember when I sent them in, there were some oil storage tanks in the background with Esso all over them but when the photo was in the Fleet News, the word Esso has been removed
Old 26th September 2013, 20:29
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
I remember doing mine in Plymouth Sound - had to launch a liferaft which was purpose packed to inflate upside down - right it and then climb in, bale out and remain tied up to a buoy for a few hours.
Seem to remember one of the RAF air-sea launches coming out from Mountbatten with flasks of hot tea and pasties for us!
Old 4th October 2013, 23:01

Can remember two visits to Lowestoft for this course.
First time with the tanker company staying in a motel at Oulton broad.
Remember the outdoor pool and jumping from the top diving board and fun and games with the liftraft in the same pool.
The second time a group of us standing by the Iolair stayed in a very nice local pub.
On this ocassion we were involved with driving several types of craft zodiac, atlantic and pacific fast rescue craft on Oulton broad as well as offshore.
The course culminated in us having to jump off one of the piersin full survivalsuits and life jackets much to the amusement of passers by.
Once in the water ee had to get together and then get ourselves into a liftraft.
By the time we had done this we had drifted two miles on the tide and two guys had mild hypethermia.
This was certainly by a long way the hardest survival course I ever attended and made the Aberdeen heli escape survival courses seem like a walk in the park.
Old 5th October 2013, 12:15
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2009

I did my " Petans" Survival course Nov 1983 at Lowestoft prior to joining the Iolair. when they took us out in a lifeboat into the North sea and we had to jump out in our survival suits and form a " huddle" . I thought I would be crafty and jump in first, so as to get in the middle of the huddle Big mistake ! survival suit leaked like a sieve!, they started getting us out after 7 mins as they saw the first signs of hypothermia setting in and it turned out, I was the last one out the water! so not so clever after all! Boy was it cold!
Old 5th October 2013, 19:29

My location
For me, the 1st one for offshore was well before the Aberdeen RGIT got their purpose built pool so we did the jump in off the highest board I've ever seen, up at the University pool.
The loudest, most overhung members of our group were crane drivers and when they saw the board, to a man they refused to do it!
Old 5th October 2013, 20:53

Done my life raft survival course in early 1983 at Great Yarmouth.It took place indoors at the Marina Centre.However,we had one half of the pool for us with the remainder still open to the public.Course was OK but when we left the changing room we had to pass a giggling group of spectators in the pool.We must have looked some sight with every shape and size imaginable......not one Chippendale amongst us!