Britannic House - Ships Nostalgia
01:47

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Britannic House

User Tag List

Old 15th March 2014, 09:59

Britannic House

Does BP or Have BP moved back into Britannic House, and River Platte House, in Finsbury Circus, as their registered address, or are they That is BP Tankers/Shipping registered in Sunbury On Thames?
My original interview as a propective Engineer Cadet was in 1959 in River Platte House.
Old 15th March 2014, 16:45
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1969 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by david freeman View Post
Does BP or Have BP moved back into Britannic House, and River Platte House, in Finsbury Circus, as their registered address, or are they That is BP Tankers/Shipping registered in Sunbury On Thames?
My original interview as a propective Engineer Cadet was in 1959 in River Platte House.
Hi David,
I believe that Britannic House (aka "BigPanic House") is now redeveloped and known as "CityPoint". <smile> I took the London Tube through Moorgate station (which I think was the stop for BigPanic House) yesterday but did not see any BP ties on my fellow passengers.

I can remember that the biscuits on the Tea lady's trolley got posher as you moved upwards in Britannic House - plain unwrapped biscuits on the lower floors, rising to chocolate biscuits in silver paper as you neared the Gods! <smile>
Regards, Mike
Old 15th March 2014, 17:33
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1975 - 1985

I went there for my RO cadet interview in 1976. I remember sharing a lift with two gents in pinstripe suits who were talking about a meeting with a government minister. All a bit scary for me!
Old 15th March 2014, 19:21

Have some pleasant memories of the old Britannic House. It was a good looking imposing building fronting the pretty little Finsbury Circus with lots of marble and teakwood.

Next door in the River Plate House there were several British owned South American railway companies.

Went in the winter of 1945 for an interview by the Marine Supertendent, Captain Hutcheson. He was stoking a fire in a large fireplace when I walked in. The next day I had a physical from an old retired Indian Army doctor and was accepted as a deck apprentice. They did not have ER apprentices at that time.

Before joining the Burmah Oil Company in 1953 I was interviewed in the same building on a different floor.

Years later in 1972 while working for a shipmanagement company in the Barbican we used to take our lunch in the summer in Finsbury Circus. The British Tanker Compnay was no longer there.
Old 15th March 2014, 19:44
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1972 - 1982

BP head office is now in St. James Square near Piccadilly Circus. The old Britannic House in Moor Lane is shared office space and where the old restaurant was under ground is now a bar with very load music. River Plate House in Finsbury Circus is still there and is currently being redeveloped as upmarket offices. The BP offices in Harlow are now owned by GSK. BP Shipping HQ is in the Sunbury complex
Old 1st April 2014, 13:34
Department: Engineering
Active: 1961 - 1973

Bp Hq

Had my ER apprentice interview there in 1961. Remember well the tanker models in glass cases. Went again in 1968 to resign midway through my first contract to become part of the 60% attrition rate. All down to a second on the Architect who was terrified of any mention of HQ, an idle sod who dumped his fear on us underlings. May he not rest in peace.
Old 6th March 2017, 20:11
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1977

Went past Moor Lane yesterday and did not see anything that I recognised as Britannic House it all looked newly developed. Got off the Tube at Moorgate and walked along London Wall past the end of Moor Lane to the Museum of London. How it has all changed since my days of being dragged in on my way out to join a ship so some Super. could check the length of my hair. When I first went there they were still finishing it off but they still took us up to the top to see the view over London.
Old 7th March 2017, 21:59
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Info about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CityPoint
Old 7th March 2017, 23:34
Active: 1967 - 1977

No wonder I didn't recognize it, it has completely changed, but there again so has a lot of London.
George