BP Shipping " Castaways " Lunch - Ships Nostalgia
12:55

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

BP Shipping " Castaways " Lunch

User Tag List

Old 2nd October 2014, 13:01

BP Shipping " Castaways " Lunch

I have booked my place at the Castaways Lunch on October 22nd at the Chequers Pub in Ugley - Post Code CM22 6HZ. I will be going by car via the A1M and the A11 / M11. If anyone close to this route wants a lift then I will be happy to oblige. I will be travelling down there on the 21st and returning on the 23rd. I have booked into a Hotel called Warmans barn in a place called Stanstead Mountifitchel, which is about 3 / 4 miles from the pub. Anyone interested can get in touch by e-mail at [email protected]
Old 2nd October 2014, 14:02
user
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1974 - 1991

It's a mile or two from the Ugley Womens' Institute, which always make me snigger.....
Old 5th October 2014, 17:08
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1972 - 1982

As well as the Ugley Children's School
Old 5th October 2014, 22:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jep1916 View Post
I have booked my place at the Castaways Lunch on October 22nd at the Chequers Pub in Ugley - Post Code CM22 6HZ. I will be going by car via the A1M and the A11 / M11. If anyone close to this route wants a lift then I will be happy to oblige. I will be travelling down there on the 21st and returning on the 23rd. I have booked into a Hotel called Warmans barn in a place called Stanstead Mountifitchel, which is about 3 / 4 miles from the pub. Anyone interested can get in touch by e-mail at [email protected]
What is the Castwaways lunch?
Old 6th October 2014, 15:27
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by retfordmackem View Post
Ditto!
Old 6th October 2014, 22:37
Department: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishandel View Post
As well as the Ugley Children's School
I was, for a short time, a member of the Idle working mens club.
Old 6th October 2014, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
I was, for a short time, a member of the Idle working mens club.
And the IDLE river runs through our town (Retford),or are we getting off piste now.
Old 7th October 2014, 02:02
Department: Engineering
Active: 1955 - 1962

Quote:
Alan and Derek,

The BP "Castaways" group was started in 1995 by Captain Alan Richardson (ex Chief Marine Superintendent) as an informal gathering of a few BPS Pensioners for luncheon a few times a year, north of London. The membership was not large then.

Alan has passed on and Mike Hind ( Ex EA and BP CE) took over the reins and has been running it for many years . Originally membership was 20 but has increased to over 100+. There are two meetings each year in Spring and Fall (April/Oct). They have invited speakers and lunch and then go their own ways. John Ridgway ex 1971 BP Navigating Cadet and present CEO of BPS addressed them last year I think.

I was invited to talk to them a few years ago about my post BP activities, but to date have not been able to partake, living on Vancouver Island makes it a long trek.

2015 will be a special one for the first meeting of the year.

Graham
Old 7th October 2014, 08:36
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Thanks for that info Graham - much appreciated.
Old 7th October 2014, 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
Alan and Derek,

The BP "Castaways" group was started in 1995 by Captain Alan Richardson (ex Chief Marine Superintendent) as an informal gathering of a few BPS Pensioners for luncheon a few times a year, north of London. The membership was not large then.

Alan has passed on and Mike Hind ( Ex EA and BP CE) took over the reins and has been running it for many years . Originally membership was 20 but has increased to over 100+. There are two meetings each year in Spring and Fall (April/Oct). They have invited speakers and lunch and then go their own ways. John Ridgway ex 1971 BP Navigating Cadet and present CEO of BPS addressed them last year I think.
I was invited to talk to them a few years ago about my post BP activities, but to date have not been able to partake, living on Vancouver Island makes it a long trek.

2015 will be a special one for the first meeting of the year.

Graham
Thanks for that Graham . I am sure I sailed with John Ridgeway at one point.
Old 7th October 2014, 09:56
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 1986

Quote:
Thanks for that Graham . I am sure I sailed with John Ridgeway at one point.
Yes, I sailed with John too, although I can't remember which ship. I seem to remember he was 3rd mate and I was either J/E or 4/E and having a beer together after the 8-12. I remember him as a lively, friendly guy, and we used to have a laugh or two after the watch.