Wahine 1964 - Ships Nostalgia
03:44

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Wahine 1964

User Tag List

Old 13th July 2011, 10:53
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast

Wahine 1964

Hi

Thought someone might be interested to see an early proposed profile of the Wahine II from 1964. This drawing is interesting because it marks some of the proposed changes to this plan. Note the extra 2 rows of sidelights on the bow. A note for the funnel specifies that the shape is still to be determined by wind tunnel tests.

Other changes are to the masts and the bridge. I have quite a few other drawings of the proposed ship along with some concept profiles if anyone is interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (75.5 KB, 132 views)
Old 9th May 2012, 08:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1965

profiles & specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferry Man View Post
Hi

Thought someone might be interested to see an early proposed profile of the Wahine II from 1964. This drawing is interesting because it marks some of the proposed changes to this plan. Note the extra 2 rows of sidelights on the bow. A note for the funnel specifies that the shape is still to be determined by wind tunnel tests.

Other changes are to the masts and the bridge. I have quite a few other drawings of the proposed ship along with some concept profiles if anyone is interested.
Hi Ferryman,
The Wahine ll came into barclay curles drydock before it left for NZ.
I thought it was a beautiful ship and the Union Steamship man was looking for engineers but I was still an apprentice and couldn't go. NZ
is still the only country in the world I still want to go to.
Old 10th May 2012, 21:54

Wahine

Maori for 'girl of my heart'. A good name as she was a beautiful ship designed for service in a beautiful country. Sadly lost while entering Wellington Harbour in 1968. Hit by an incrediblyy fierce storm and blown onto the Barrett Reef. A number of people died. There are several good books on the disaster, the most well known of which being by Lambert and Hartley.
Old 21st May 2012, 23:10
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1965

stowaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwhoman View Post
Maori for 'girl of my heart'. A good name as she was a beautiful ship designed for service in a beautiful country. Sadly lost while entering Wellington Harbour in 1968. Hit by an incrediblyy fierce storm and blown onto the Barrett Reef. A number of people died. There are several good books on the disaster, the most well known of which being by Lambert and Hartley.
Apparently there was a stowaway on board. Did he survive? Who was he? What happened to him?
Old 10th March 2019, 03:22

What does it say by the bridge? I always thought that it looked lIke that of the transvaal castle.