Saga Rose - Ships Nostalgia
15:14

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Saga Rose

User Tag List

Old 13th November 2005, 03:56

Saga Rose

Saga Rose (ex Gripsholm ex Sagafjord) arriving Napier 2/3/2005
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saga Rose.JPG (33.9 KB, 120 views)
Old 14th November 2005, 00:52
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Thats a fine looking ship.
John
Old 14th November 2005, 04:48

Built for dual North Atlantic liner service and off season cruising so has a 'proper' hull form and is also very elegant internally.
Old 14th November 2005, 16:11
Super Moderator

Built 1965 as Sagafjord by Forges & Chantiers de la Mediterranee, La Seyne for Den Norske - Amerikalinje (Norwegian America Line). 24,002 grt, twin screw, two Sulzer 9RD68 diesel engines, 20 knots. On line service she carried 76 first and 760 tourist class passengers. In fact she only performed a handful of Tranatlantic crossings in her life and from 1966 she was used exclusively for cruising.
On cruise duties Sagafjord was restricted to 462 passengers. It would seem as though all the tourist cabins were 4 berth, but only used as 2 berth when cruising. A good example of how unsatisfactory line ships were for cruising.
Very well built. Perhaps as a result she drove the builders into liquidation.
In 1982 she was extensively rebuilt by Blohm & Voss and an additional part deck added above the bridge. The accommodation was completely revised and she emerged as 24,109 tons, 509 passengers.
In 1983 she was sold to Cunard for $73 million. No change of name.
In 1996 she was sold to Saga Holidays for $19.25 million and renamed Saga Rose. Further rebuilding and now carries 620 lower berth passengers, 747 max.

Fred
Old 14th November 2005, 16:25
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyd
Saga Rose (ex Gripsholm ex Sagafjord) arriving Napier 2/3/2005
There is no connection between Gripsholm and Sagafjord, Tonyd.
Gripsholm was a slightly bigger ship (23,190 grt) with two funnels. Built by Ansaldo, Genoa in 1957 for Swedish American Line. Sold to Karageorgis Lines 1975 and renamed Navarino. After which, she had a very troubled life, involving groundings, fire and even being in a floating dock that capsized!

Fred
Old 14th November 2005, 23:51

Saga Rose

Fred - You are obviously referring to a different Gripsholm. I know the twin funnelled vessel you are referring to.

According to Lloyds the Saga Rose carried the name Gripsholm for a short period.

The Internet Ships Register shows her as being renamed from Sagafjord to Gripsholm in July 1996 and then Saga Rose the following year.

The DNV Register with whom she is registered also shows her as having the name Gripsholm.

The following entries were copied directly from the DNV Site:

1965 - 1996 Sagafjord
1996 - 1997 Gripsholm

Tony d

Last edited by Tonyd; 15th November 2005 at 00:06..
Old 15th November 2005, 00:31
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1959 - 1993

My location
Ahoy,

Here a link to DNV:

https://exchange.dnv.com/Exchange/Ma...VesselID=04821

Here from MaritimeData:
Name:Saga Rose IMO No:6416043Ex:Gripsholm Built:9/1965Type:Cruise Status:In ServiceSubType: Flag:BahamasDWT:6,353 Draft:8.26 Builder:Lemos C.M. & Co.GT:25,147 LOA:188.88 Owner:Saga ShippingNT: Beam:24.49 Speed/Cons:20.00/51.00Class:NV Depth:16.90 Engine Type:Forges

Here from Equasis:
IMO number:6416043Name of ship:SAGA ROSECall Sign:C6ZUGross tonnage:24528Type of ship:Passenger (Cruise) ShipYear of build:1965Flag:BahamasStatus of ship:In ServiceRegistered owner:SAGA SHIPPINGAddress:Enbrook Park, High Street, Sandgate, Folkestone UNITED KINGDOMShip manager:SAGA SHIPPINGAddress:Enbrook Park, High Street, Sandgate, Folkestone UNITED KINGDOMLast update:26-07-2004

Here from Lloyds;
http://img478.imageshack.us/img478/7...data3si.th.jpg
My piccies also @:
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Phot...06a43771da649b

Last edited by ruud; 15th November 2005 at 00:42..
Old 15th November 2005, 11:20
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
If you follow this link it also says that one of the former names is Gripsholm.

http://www.cruiseships.fsnet.co.uk/saga_rose.htm

Frank
Old 15th November 2005, 23:16
Super Moderator

Question

Very interesting. I have also found a fleeting reference to Gripsholm. My information is that Sagafjord was sold by Cunard to Saga Marine in November 1996. Lloyds indicate that she was delivered to Saga in April 1997. A delay of this sort is not uncommon, Saga probably did not want her until April, in time for conversion prior to entry into service for the summer season.
It is possible that she was chartered to some other company for the intervening period. If so, who was it? It is also possible that Gripsholm was a temporary lay-up name use by Cunard whilst they were seeking a buyer and it continued to be used until Saga renamed her. In what month did Cunard withdraw her from service?
Any additional information would be most welcome.

Fred

Last edited by fred henderson; 15th November 2005 at 23:21..
Old 15th November 2005, 23:54
Super Moderator

I think I have the answer. Sagafjord's last Cunard cruise was in September 1996. She was sold to Saga in November. It seems that Cunard chartered Sagafjord to Transocean Tours of Bremen from September 1996 until March 1997 under the name Gripsholm. At the end of the charter she was delivered to Saga and was given her current name of Saga Rose.
Thank you guys for correcting my earlier post.

Fred
Old 17th November 2005, 17:49

Smile

Fred,

At the end of that charter she actually had a fire and had to undergo some refurbishment in Singapore before relocating to Europe (I think Bremerhaven.) for a more in depth refit.

I joined her from a Tug off Gibraltar as she passed to help out training the complete new crew before passing her over to Saga. She was out of service for all this time.
Old 16th June 2006, 22:55

Sagafjord

Hi,
Have just put nice pic of her in the gallery.
cheers.
Old 17th June 2006, 08:10

Saga Rose

My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful cruie on her :- Caribbean Carnival Cruise,
6th November - 4th December, 2001. Southampton - Southampton. It coincided with the 50th anniversary of their founding of Saga Holidays. Upon departure a magnificent firework display. On board Sidney DeHaan (Founder of Saga holidays) and son Roger,delightful people, FREE booze for the entire 28 day cruise !! wonderful watercolour print,20"x 10", limited edition by Michael Harte, Crystal decanter, top name entertainers - could go on and on.A wonderful Cruise. Saga Rose, has now been joined by sister ship Saga Ruby ( ex vista fjord/Caronia ) Two very beautiful and elegant old ladies (30 0dd yrs ) and very very comfortable ships.

Mac.

Last edited by macjack; 17th June 2006 at 08:51.. Reason: inclusion
Old 10th September 2006, 18:34

Gripsholm picture

Hi,

Seeing all the above: does anybody have a scan/pic of her, as Gripsholm,which can be used on a web site history I am compiling?

Thanks
NT

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjack
My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful cruie on her :- Caribbean Carnival Cruise,
6th November - 4th December, 2001. Southampton - Southampton. It coincided with the 50th anniversary of their founding of Saga Holidays. Upon departure a magnificent firework display. On board Sidney DeHaan (Founder of Saga holidays) and son Roger,delightful people, FREE booze for the entire 28 day cruise !! wonderful watercolour print,20"x 10", limited edition by Michael Harte, Crystal decanter, top name entertainers - could go on and on.A wonderful Cruise. Saga Rose, has now been joined by sister ship Saga Ruby ( ex vista fjord/Caronia ) Two very beautiful and elegant old ladies (30 0dd yrs ) and very very comfortable ships.

Mac.
Old 11th September 2006, 08:22

Gripsholm

Hello NT
"Seeing all the above: does anybody have a scan/pic of her, as Gripsholm,which can be used on a web site history I am compiling?"

Hope attached link assists you.
http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Gripsholm...#anchor1414266
also see link http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Sagafjord.html#anchor82433 for fuller history.
Regards,
Mac.

Last edited by macjack; 11th September 2006 at 08:45..
Old 12th September 2006, 08:18

Saga Rose

I took my Father for a run out to Northumberland recently (To get some kippers).whilst in the vicinty of Dunstanborough castle i saw a passenger ship out at sea .i assumed it was the Norwegian ferry ,only after i saw an ad in the News of the world for a round UK cruise did i recognise the ship i'd photographed
Date of sighting was Thurs 24th Aug.
Ronnie R
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saga rose pic.JPG (81.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 12th September 2006, 16:51

Mac,

Thanks very much, I'm following that up now!

Rgds
Nigel T

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjack View Post
Hello NT
"Seeing all the above: does anybody have a scan/pic of her, as Gripsholm,which can be used on a web site history I am compiling?"

also see link http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Sagafjord.html#anchor82433 for fuller history.
Regards,
Mac.
Old 17th March 2019, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjack View Post
Hello NT

Regards,
Mac.
taken in capetown
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gripsholm x sagaford 1997.jpg (165.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg gripsholm x sagafjord stern 1997.jpg (158.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 17th March 2019, 13:47

She always looked best in grey hull. The dark blue under Saga she looked 'small'. Great ship to sail in. Made several cruises in her including her final, 30 days to the Med. Ten years ago. A lifetime ago!

Stephen
Old 17th March 2019, 14:50

Ah, but I knew the ship when 'as built' and say her for the first time in 1966 at Bermuda. Unbelievable beauty! The other ship in my painting was also a stunning beauty, the GRIPSHOLM.

Sad that SAGAFJORD lost a bit of her looks with the added penthouses etc. The Cunard colours that did not belong. As GRIPSHOLM, OK but the name and the colours did not belong either! As SAGA ROSE. The yellow funnel was too bright. The blue was not that great. She would have been perfect in grey, 'normal' buff, wide white band and a wide black top. Perfect Ellerman colours!!!!! :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAGAFJORD by Stephen Card - Artist's Collection.jpg (140.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 17th March 2019, 18:21

Stephen

What was perfect about the grey of the hulls of both Sagafjord and Vistafjord was that it was a green/yellow shade. When the ships were taken on by Cunard this was changed to a more regular pale grey. A perfectly acceptable colour but nowhere as smart as the distinctive NAL shade. The livery that Sagafjord wore during her brief time as Gripsholm is a total mess. The Transocean logo looks all wrong on her shapely funnel and the two shades of blue stripes along her hull are wholly unnecessary. They are placed too low and accentuate her sheer, which does not need to be accentuated. It was fortunate that this was only a brief time in her lengthy life. The Saga livery was a great improvement and I think she looked better in Saga colours than in Cunard colours. However, the scheme that you suggest would have been better still.

Clive
Old 17th March 2019, 19:07

Clive,

A better description of the NAL 'grey' was more of a 'warm grey', not greenish but grey with a touch of ochre or buff. The shade of grey works with the funnel buff. definitely not just a 'fluke', NAL were quite right to pick a perfect colour. Transocean was a mess as you said, but I could live with it... with eyes half shut! What I didn't like, apart from the messy stripes, was the white funnel. Blah! Sadly, when Saga bought the wanted a new livery. They kept the Transocean thin black top but changed to blue with a very thin white stripe and then the canary yellow. It didn't carry very well. The funnel already had great welded stripes from NAL, it would have been so easy to make the blue top wider and then a nice white stripe and the yellow. Even if the yellow was more buff! Someone told me that wanted a Britannia type blue. Imagine of the funnel had gone for Britannia pale buff. Nice!

Now it is 2019 and the new Saga ship is close to completion. The Saga livery is going to be stunning in their blue and yellow. She will look perfect compared to almost 99% 'all white' ships.

Stephen
Old 17th March 2019, 21:13
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

What's got 90 legs and smells of urine?
The front row of the theatre on a Saga ship.
Old 17th March 2019, 21:50

Naughty!

The best one for of the comedians said after his show, "Great show. Not a dry chair in the lounge!"