Viking Sky - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
15:38

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Viking Sky

User Tag List

Old 3rd April 2019, 21:53
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1973 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
Ha mcGlash you think I know fcuk nothing about surfing but you're wrong, I know fcuk all.
I do know those surfing in Lahinch have a surfboard, a VW Camper and a bit of totty. I'd nearly settle for that.
Forget the surfboard and the VW Camper, a bit of totty would do me, but don't tell the wife.
Old 3rd April 2019, 22:08
Active: 1973 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
Hmmmmm 40,000 for lub oils or 2 million drydock and repairs and other costs for a 2 day event. The oil is cheaper.
Plus loss of service and revenue, cancelling bookings, the PR disaster, loss of life and the list goes on.

The battle was lost for the sake of a nail in the Generals shoe.

40k is just 3 cabins revenue and she holds 930 pax in 465 cabins, the cheapest possibly 6K per cabin each person for 13 days in the Penthouse Veranda cabin which is middle of the range.
Old 3rd April 2019, 22:33
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lao Pan View Post
One thing that has changed is the cost per ltr of Lube Oil - I am not familiar with the Sump capacities on these machines, but say you could reduce the level from 14 tonnes to 10 tonnes per machine - times 4 at about 2.50 per ltr - that would be a saving of 40,000 on oil in service.

Colour of oil is going away from that golden treacle colour - the Premium Turbine oils and Hydraulic oils that I now deal with are water white (Gas to Oil)
The oil is there for lubrication ,not fuel although some works its way into the combustion zones. A high or low level sump or holding tank should have no bearing on this , in fact in this case high lube oil levels would have been like Money in the bank.

Bob
Old 4th April 2019, 09:30
Active: 1977 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
Hmmmmm 40,000 for lub oils or 2 million drydock and repairs and other costs for a 2 day event. The oil is cheaper.
Yes - But Accountants are trained to look at the minutiae not the big picture. - they saved 40,000 - Drydocking is another budget.

I was at a Nuclear Power Station 20+ years ago where they skipped 3 million pounds worth of spares because it cost 4 thousand pounds a year to keep it on the shelf Most of the spares were for plant that was 30 years old and the manufacturers didn't even exist any more. They had a bill for not far short of a million for a job that would have cost a couple of thousand using the spares that they had had on the shelf previous to the cost cutting exercise

Last edited by Lao Pan; 4th April 2019 at 09:35..
Old 4th April 2019, 10:01
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Lao Pan, that was a failure of management, not the accountants who are only responsible for the collection of figures for the management to consider. Making difficult decisions whether or not to act on one particular set of data, rather than one of the alternatives, is what the managers are paid for.

In the early 1990s at Marconi Marine we scrapped spare parts and materials from our stores valued on the books at over 1M. Things like spares for Oceanspan transmitters, Vigilant auto-alarm receivers, Seagraph echo-sounders, Radiolocator Mark IV radars, Lodestone direction-finders and the like, all long out of production. The space occupied by the central stores was reduced by over 80%, staff reduced from 7 to one man. Some of the stuff scrapped was over 40 years old, still in 'as manufactured' condition and original packaging.

The negative effect on the business was almost zero, since the annual turnover value of items issued from that stock was a fraction of the cost of housing and administering it.

Of course the elephant in the room was the accountants' valuation of all that unwanted material at over 1M, not its retention.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.

Last edited by Ron Stringer; 4th April 2019 at 10:13..
Old 4th April 2019, 10:15
Active: 1977 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
Lao Pan, that was a failure of management, not the accountants who are only responsible for the collection of figures for the management to consider. Making difficult decisions whether or not to act on one particular set of data, rather than one of the alternatives, is what the managers are paid for.
Unfortunately now a days, most organizations are run by accountants (except in Germany where they are mostly run by engineers - that might tell us something) and they just don't look at the big picture - but they spend a fortune paying other accountants to audit every penny spent and question it.