Southern Cross - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
06:49

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Southern Cross

User Tag List

Old 20th August 2014, 23:13

Hello, does anyone remember Ted Polk who I understand was at some stage a Chief Engineer on the Southern Cross.
My reason for asking is that he is/was my Godfather but I haven't seen or heard from him in 45yrs.
I have heard 3rd/4th hand that he has been in very poor health and may in fact have passed on.
Hope someone can remember him.
Thanks and best wishes.
Old 25th August 2014, 15:58

I was a passenger on the Southern Cross in Dec 1969 with my parents and brother. We were sailing from New Zealand to Southampton. I was only 4 at the time but can still renenber lots. I would love to get my hands on a copy of the passenger list. Anyone know where I might find it?
Old 2nd September 2014, 01:44
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1967 - 1973

Hi Libby

I worked in Pursers Office on Southern Cross in 1969 ~ and we arrived Southampton on 11Dec 1969 ~ so assume you boarded the ship late October in NZ. Unfortunately we do not have passenger manifests of these sailings now. I am not sure if they can be retrieved from another source ~ perhaps someone else will be able to provide that information. There is a very good YouTube video available on a voyage on Southern Cross to NZ taken I think early 1967 by another passenger living in Australia ~ it may rekindle some memories for you.
Cheers Jamie, the Purser
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:23

Hi Jamie. I managed to get a copy of the passenger list. My dad was over the moon. Although it was a long time ago and I was very young I still get little flashbacks to when we were on the ship. I remember being on deck going through the Panama Canal. And one of the kitchen staff bringing me the fat from the bacon every morning to our cabin. That's all I would eat. Many happy memories. My mum and dad were bringing us to the UK to meet our grandparents. Sadly my mum passed away 4 years ago and never got to see the list. But my dad has been reminiscing since I gave it to him. He remembers some of the passengers they got friendly with. Thank you so much for telling me about the you tube video. I will show it to my dad. I'm sure it will bring back a lot of memories for him.

Elizabeth
Old 2nd September 2014, 23:56

Hello Elizabeth ~ thanks for your reply ~ and so pleased you managed to obtain a passenger manifest ~ if you dont mind me asking ~ how did you manage to get one?
Southern Cross remains my favourite ship of all time ~ and I have model and numerous photos in my 'office' .
If you have a look at my photos ~ there are a few shots of my time as purser on the Cross ~ and some of her as Azure Seas after she was sold out of Shaw Savill. hope they bring back happy memories for you, Cheers Jamie
Old 3rd September 2014, 03:23

My location
Hi Elizabeth, here is a site that may interest you click the first story and there is a short film of transit of the Canal. This was also my last trip on her.
GWB

http://cruiselinehistory.com/?s=Shaw...Southern+Cross
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:34

Hi Jamie. I managed to get the list from familysearch.org. it was actually a photo of the list and I just printed it off. I clicked on Miami and it came up on there. Brilliant.

Elizabeth
Old 6th September 2014, 00:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by libbyhris View Post
Hi Jamie. I managed to get the list from familysearch.org. it was actually a photo of the list and I just printed it off. I clicked on Miami and it came up on there. Brilliant.

Elizabeth
Thanks Elizabeth
Old 9th September 2014, 05:48

Hi Annric ~ have been making investigations for you from the Engineers Super regarding your God Father ~ the following reply from Wally Watson, UK branch of the Shaw Savill Society,
Hope you find this of great interest,
Cheers Jamie (Shaw Savill Society, NZ)
Hi Jamie,
I have checked the records kept by the late John Heighway and can confirm that an Edward Palk served aboard Afric, Arabic, Doric, Aramaic, Southern Cross and Cretic in a relieving capacity as Second Engineer between 5th December 1957 and 20th July 1958. He joined Southern Cross as Junior Second Engineer on 14th August 1958 and came up through the ranks to Senior Second Engineer until leaving the ship in February 1961. He did a short relieving stint aboard Waiwera in March of that year but must have left the Company shortly afterwards. I have checked the records until 1963 but he does not appear again. If still alive he has to be nearer eighty than seventy I'd say. Hope this helps.
Old 6th October 2014, 21:46
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1970 - 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by R893891 View Post
I signed on the Southern Cross several days prior to departure on Friday 13th November 1970 (not a good omen).

The voyage was out to Oz via the Panama Canal, then 3 cruises out of Sydney and return to the UK in March 1971.

Being young and naive, I discounted tales that you didn't so much 'sign on' as 'weigh in' on the 'Suffering Cross'.

However the cracks began to appear on sailing day when most of the 'Belfast contingent' of the deck department were in various states of intoxication, thus causing extra work for the rest of us.

Things went from bad to worse during the Atlantic crossing, I was so relieved to plant my feet on terra firma upon arrival at Trinidad.

I stuck the trip out, though not sure how. During the trip there where 3 deaths, a crew member 'disapeared' one night, a passenger died of a heart attack, and there was one other death of which I dont know the circumstances.

I was attacked myself whilst sleeping, the attacker was unaware of the attack the next day due to being on various 'substances'.

During a visit to Suva (on one of the cruises), the catering staff walked off the ship. The band played on for sometime until the Ozzie passengers were no longer waving, the band eventually packed up and went home, as did the stevadores, I never did find out out why they walked off.

During 30 years service at sea I never witnessed anything like the level of violence and drunkeness on that ship, I still have the odd nightmare of this experience.

Having survived the 'ship from hell', I signed up for a correspondence course for 2nd Mates ticket.

Captain Wheatley was the Master on this voyage, a really nice man. What he did to deserve the Cross I really dont know, I hope things were better in his latter career.

When I saw pictures of the ship being scrapped, I had a glass of wine - quite an occasion as I am teetotal!

I'm sure someone somewhere must have a happier experience of the Suffering Cross, but it wasn't me!
I am interested in this ship for personal reasons and anyone who sailed on her between November 1970 and March 1971 when she returned to Southampton. I have seen a couple of posts from people who were on her at that time and would be very grateful if someone could email me at [email protected]. I see some of the posts are fairly old but hopefully someone still reads them here. many thanks Tricia.
Old 7th October 2014, 00:41

A Mate who I sailed with had previously sailed on the Southern Cross and he told me that, during a call at Tahiti, a group of crew members were chased back on board the ship by a gang of locals - one of the crew had thrown a baby into a cement mixer. Nice!

John T
Old 8th October 2014, 07:23
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
A Mate who I sailed with had previously sailed on the Southern Cross and he told me that, during a call at Tahiti, a group of crew members were chased back on board the ship by a gang of locals - one of the crew had thrown a baby into a cement mixer. Nice!

John T
I expect the cement mixer was moonlighting...they were not particularly well paid on the islands.
I think passenger crew/local battles were the norm in those parts; I remember a skirmish, when we stopped over on the Akaroa one time, with some gung-ho passengers joining in, (on the crews side that is). Quinns was a venue noted for vigorous debate.
barry mac
Old 8th October 2014, 21:30
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1970 - 2000

Hello I hope you still post. I am looking for anyone who was on that ship at that time until it returned to southampton in march 1971, as I am researching my family tree and a bit of a puzzle has appeared in it. I would very much like anyone who was on her to contact me if possible at [email protected]. I would be very grateful as I have hit a concrete wall and cannot find out any more.
Old 8th October 2014, 22:23

Hi ~ I was not on board Southern Cross arriving Southampton March 1971 - but maybe able to assist ~ are you looking for a passenger or crew member?
Cheers Jamie, Shaw Savill Society NZ Branch
Old 5th November 2014, 23:28

Smile

Joined her as Bathroom steward around 65 as a 17 year old. Drunk in every port where they paid us which was little around Australasia as so many were jumping boat. Our Chief steward was a drunken Scotsman that terrorised us all with a meat cleaver he kept in his suitcase. Life was so different then--harder but I loved it. Jumped boat after getting legless in Las Palmas on a German freighter and returned to the Port of London DBS on the Rosylin Castle Orange Boat.. I am an avid Kayak fisherman now and when I anchor off Southend with my rods I think back to those days. Oh to be that fit again..or that green