Pre-sea navigation course South Shields. - Ships Nostalgia
14:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Pre-sea navigation course South Shields.

User Tag List

Old 18th January 2013, 18:37

Pre-sea navigation course South Shields.

Whatever happened to the class of 1963-65 pre-sea navigation at South Shieds Marine colledge.Over the last five years hardly any mention of this colledge as been made,and most of that was engineering.What navigation related comments there have been,usually relate to the 1970's.Do none of these old class mates contribute to S.N
Old 18th January 2013, 23:37
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu View Post
Whatever happened to the class of 1963-65 pre-sea navigation at South Shieds Marine colledge.Over the last five years hardly any mention of this colledge as been made,and most of that was engineering.What navigation related comments there have been,usually relate to the 1970's.Do none of these old class mates contribute to S.N
Cant help you with the class of 1963/65,all I can say is that my grandson is there now as a deck cadet and in three weeks will be waiting for Maersk to tell him what ship he will be on for his first spell at sea.

jim
Old 1st February 2013, 16:52
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1965 - 1969

I was on that pre sea navigation course between 63 and 65. I remember Joe Hughes, Mike Farrell and Ian Storey, who I bumped into in my local pub many moons ago. Apart from him I have'nt come across anyone else from that class.
I left the MN in 1969 and worked for the same company ashore for the next 39 years. Been retired 5 years now.
Paul Halford

Last edited by paulpgh; 1st February 2013 at 16:54.. Reason: add a word
Old 4th February 2013, 18:23

Hello Paul,I remember you.The only person from that class that I have seen,was Alan Sharp.He was on the focs,l head of a ship (can't remember the company)leaving Avonmouth in 1968.I saw Ian Storey on tv once.He was in the police force at Consett about 1990.I left the sea in 1971 as 3rd mate,and went into oil and chemical refining ,where I worked for 33 years,retiring in2004. David Isley.
Old 5th February 2013, 17:48
Active: 1964 - 2007

Pre sea at saudi shields 64/65.

Hi there ,I was there from 7/9/64 to 9/7/65 and left to join Ben Line.
I was the only Ben Line cadet there at the time,i used to travel up eacn Monday from Redcar by train and a lad from British west Hartlepool used to join the train he was in my class and his name was Karlic possibly Polish extraction ,no sure. I used to remember a lad from Whitby who joined Turnbull Scotts,then a lad called Lou who was from down south west he joined the company who lost the Hornby Grange in south america.

Agar used to take use for boat handling on the tyne and used to give use a lift back up to Westoe six of use lying on top of each other in his Robin reliant . The front wheel used to nearly come off the cobbled road leading up from the river berth.
He used to say to the lads if you can't swim don't worry because you will die of poisoning when you fall in this river with all the shite. It used to float down the river in the winter months like a scum on the surface. Capt taylor used to take use for Navigation and chart work, Capt Moat ex Palm Line used to take use for maths and something else. A graet place and a great time ,the Tartan bar with tartan carpet at the Westoe dog track magic.
I will try and remember someother but cant remember the class number.

Put some more memories down here lads.
Rgds Ian Keyl
Old 5th February 2013, 23:59
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian keyl View Post
A graet place and a great time ,the Tartan bar with tartan carpet at the Westoe dog track magic.
Agree about the dog track. I did a radar ticket at South Shields August-November '64 and I and a 2nd Mate from Blue Star were in digs with a Mrs Ennis (her son was down the engine room on a collier) in a terraced house on the North side of Horsley Hill Road. The bar at the dog track was our nearest so we spent much time (and money) in there. They even sold Tartan Bitter in there although I drank McEwans Export at the time. Wonderful days (and nights).

The terraced houses are still there but the dog track is long gone, replaced by a housing estate.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 7th February 2013, 09:59

Capt Agar still lives in Sunderland Road as far as i know, i used to see him regulaly until recently, his son works in the Port Ops at the Port of Tyne.
Old 7th February 2013, 19:22

I dont remember the dog track,but I remember Dogs Bowl,which was a bowling alley,not far from the college,and had I think a bar although I'm not sure.Does anyone remember the Chase.It was a restaurant where we sometimes ate at dinnertime,I think it served Chinese meals as well.The two local pubs were the County and the Westhoe.I regularly had a meat pie and pint (Nimmos at the County and Newcastle at the Westhoe)although I was only sixteen.I was never asked my age.
Old 8th February 2013, 09:27

Horsley Hill Stadium was originally a greyhound racing track and the home of South Shields Football club in the days when they were in the 2nd Division, later the football club relocated to Simonside Hall, the dog track survived for years becoming the Dogs bowl, with ten pin bowling and the tartan bar, its now a housing estate as previously mentioned, there is no H in Westoe by the way.
Old 8th February 2013, 17:17

Hartonman
I might be wrong but I think the South Shields football club that was in the 2nd div relocated to to Gateshead and became Gateshead FC. The South Shields club that played at Simonside Hall was formed later. Football was still played at the Horsley Hill Stadium into the late 1950's but only on Good Friday morning when a team of big name veteran professionals used to play one of the local club sides, I can remember Harton Collery Welfare was one of the local teams that took part. If you have got the time and inclination you could check with the Shields Gazette, Archie Wilson used to do the write ups, he was ex SS FC goalkeeper.
Old 9th February 2013, 10:42

Correct William they also defected to Gateshead again in the 1970s here is the history.
http://www.southshields-sanddancers....b_history2.htm
Old 10th February 2013, 09:32

Thanks for that Hartonman, it made very interesting reading, I knew about the move to Gateshead in the 30's by hearsay only, my father was a keen football fan and Archie Wilson worked as a turner at Smiths dock when I was an apprentice there, both of them knew a lot about the history of the SS football clubs.
Old 17th August 2013, 14:22

Ian Storey moved to Darlington, ended up as an Inspector in the police, now retired. I must have met him, accidentally, around 5 or 6 times but have'nt seen him for some time now.
Anyone remember the 1A cafe in South Shields? Spam fritters and Chips 2'6d. Was in South Shields a couple of weekends ago, understandibly it's all changed now.
I remember Alan Sharp, didn't he join Bank Line? Met up with him and another ex class member (joined Furness Withy) in Liverpool when our ships happened to be there at the same time.
Still haven't heard of anyone else from the 63/65 pre sea navigation class.
Old 17th August 2013, 14:29

Captains Agar/Taylor and Moat, remember them as well from over 50 years ago!!
Old 7th February 2016, 00:25
Active: 1965 - 2012

puddington

David
I was really interested in your message as I was at South Shields on the cadet course between 1963/65. I remember Tom Alder, Nick Gemmeken, Joe Hughes, Mick Farrel, Ian Storey and Paul Halford.
I remember seeing you in Avonmouth, I was on the -Lossiebank- in 1968, must have been a meeting place as I also met my Dad (Master, -Lady Charrington-) and a Bank Line Second Mate who lived nearby.
Tom died a long time back while still young and as Master. I met Ian in Lagos when he was on - Fourah Bay- we met in the Seaman's Mission at that time in Railway House on Apapa Jetty.
I met up with Paul in Liverpool we went to a party on a Port Line ship again back in 1968.
I left Bank Line in 1970 and went to Denholm til 1975 when I went foreign flag ending up as a surveyor in Nigeria until forced retirement in 2012.
I met Capt. Moat on a train about 1985, he was working for UN I think, still called me -Sharp lad-!!
Sorry this is a bit late after your initial posting, just saw it shortly after joining few days ago.

Best regards Alan
Old 7th February 2016, 18:37

Good to hear from you Alan,and welcome to the site. I remember seeing you in Avonmouth.I think your ship was leaving the port,and I was on the Camelia.We were discharging wheat from the USA,and I was showing a new apprentice the ropes.I'm sorry to hear about Tom.Paul answered one of my blogs,and told me he still saw Joe Hughes and Mike Farrel occasionally. I saw Ian Storey on TV once.He was receiving some award for bravery.He was in the police at Consett.I had been hoping to hear from more of the Pre Sea lads,but perhaps they don't know about the site.It appears most of the lads I knew at sea and at college left the sea quite early. When I left Stag Line in 1969,I joined Ropners as 3rd mate.I left the sea in 1971 to work on refineries locally.I had the chance in 1973 to join Common Brothers,but health problems at the time put an end to any further ideas of returning to sea,and I took early retirement in 2004.
Old 28th March 2016, 18:46

Kudu, I remembered a few more of the class of 63/65. Peter Hogg, who stayed on and eventually became a draughtsman, Fred Ling, Peter Smith who somehow ended up in the U.S. military, Brent Grenville, David Cooper, John Haswell and Billy (?).
After almost twenty years in Nigeria I came back to the U.K last year so it has taken some time to get used to this retirement lark but reading the Shipnostagia made me realise that lm not alone!! - Alan
Old 30th March 2016, 04:02
Madbob
Active: 1959 - 1972

My location
Did pre-sea 1959-60 at South Shields Marine and Tech. Cannot remember the names of classmates but a really good bunch. All tickets there afterwards.
Old 30th March 2016, 13:03

Thanks for those names Alan.I do remember them.David Cooper was taking his 2nd mates in late 1968 with me. I couldn't remember John Haswell's first name. Do you remember Alan Oxley.He and ? Barwick came from Consett. Perhaps the Billy was William Ray.Both Barwick and Ray left to start apprenticeships during 1964. I remember Peter Smith,but I thought he had joined the US Coastguard.Strange career move,after spending two years at South Shields. From what I can gather not many of us lasted long at sea.The massive reduction in The British Merchant navy during the 1970's and 80's,put paid to long careers. Only two out of all the apprentices I sailed with lasted past the age of thirty.
Old 30th March 2016, 19:34

Thanks again David. You re right it was Billy Ray I think he went to Lyles (Scottish Ship Management later) forgot about Alan (?) Barwick and Alan Oxley.

I went foreign flag in the early seventies and was never out of work came ashore in 96 as marine surveyor until retirement in 2012. From what I saw latterly, crews had a lousy deal with little port time and in some places no shore leave allowed and generally poor conditions on board some ships.
I was very lucky while at sea and ashore but the industry has changed and now it is probably better to stay ashore!
Old 31st March 2016, 00:16

I did pre-sea at South Shields 61/62, posted a picture of the group 15th Jan 2015 recovering the school whaler that was sunk by the Leda, we don't look a very happy lot as none of us saw any point in rowing Capt Livingstone around the river, incidentally John Haswell is my cousin, no idea where he is now. I recently called the College and spoke to a very nice lady in admin, about a reunion or even an old boys club for pre-sea cadets, She was very nice, but said I was the first person to call about that subject and there was no interest on the part of the college to start one, sad really considering how many of us passed through there.
Old 1st April 2016, 08:21

Hello Jon. An old shipmate of mine from Stag line was at pre sea at the same time as you. Do you remember Graham Robinson? I am in regular contact with him through E mail. He lives in Port Macquarie in Australia. It is a pity that the college is not interested in old boy reunions,although I suspect most of us would be spread world wide.
Old 4th April 2016, 03:35

Hi Kudu. Yes I remember Graham if I am right he was of the guys that came across the ferry every day from North Shields. I have attached a couple of photos he might like. I remember a few of the guys. We all went our ways at the end of term,I think I was the first to leave as Prince Line wanted me asp. I know a lot of the guys joined local companies, Stage/Huntings/Commons/Souter/Chapmans. They all got their sea time in quicker than I did, thanks to only getting half time for coast wise trips, and returned on un-cet 3/0 pay. We had 2/0 with masters and extra master certs in Prince line. I have attached two photos that show the group recovering that Whaler. Rdgs Jon sorry but I don't seen to be able to attach the photos, they are already on member face 15th Jan 2015
Old 5th May 2016, 17:07

Hi Alan, good to hear from you after all these years. I've often wondered what happened to the class of 63/65, you've filled in a few blanks and recalled names I'd long forgotten.
I can remember meeting up in Liverpool and going aboard your ship, and if I my memory serves me correctly David Cooper was with us as well, in addition to a couple of fellow cadets from the ship I was on at the time.
I still live in the North East, near Darlington so haven't moved very far but have been fortunate to have done quite a bit of travelling over the years.
I often wonder about Joe Hughes/Mick Farrell but have never come across their names.
Enjoy your retirement, I been in that happy state for eight years now and it's still a novelty.

Regards,
Paul.
Old 6th May 2016, 19:48

Hello Paul, nice to hear from you and glad to know that you're around. You, Dave, Ian Storey and David Cooper, Tommy Alder and Peter Hogg are the only ones I met up with after finishing at Shields. Most of the companies we knew have also disappeared, nearly all the ships I dealt with over the last twenty years had owners that I had never heard of!
I liked the survey business cos it kept you in touch with ships without having to go to sea!!
Keep in touch Paul and thanks for the reply.
Best regards, Alan