windows 10 - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
23:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

windows 10

User Tag List

Old 27th May 2016, 18:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART6 View Post
Just lately I have my doubts about Mr Microsoft. I have been using PCs since they were first invented, and MS Dos worked fine for me then. But as time went on we went through all sorts of versions of Windows, some of which were quite good and some a disaster. At the moment I have four PCs running for business Windows XP, Vesta, and W7, and I seem to spend much of my time sorting out OS problems. Recently I bought a W10 laptop to replace the XP laptop that I rarely use, and am dismayed that once again Microsoft have changed the whole way in which the OS operates.

Actions that were once routine for me are now hidden away in all sorts of obscure places, and I wonder why Microsoft could not have simply retained the facilities that remained through a series of Windows -- like email accounts on the taskbar along with a preferred web browser? Oh, I now have a touch screen, except that the only things it shows are things I would never touch, so that doesn't help much!

Anyway, three years ago I bought an Apple Mac, which doesn't have a thumping great box under my desk, can take up to 16Gb of memory, and just works faultlessly every time without "blue screens of death" and without needing to be restarted every ten minutes. It has a hard glass screen rather than a delicate TFT one, and it can be easily removed for cleaning, or even polished with a rag and some Fairy liquid.

So now, the Vesta machine is on it's way out and I can't be bothered to try to fix it, and the W7 machine needs a new hard drive. So where to from here? I intend to buy a second Apple Mac and put on it Parallels Desktop as I have on the first one, which works fine as a virtual machine and which allows me to run the CAD software that I need, and it does it faster and with less problems than any PC. So soon, goodbye Bill Gates, hello Steve Jobs!
Try installing Linux Ubuntu on one of your older machines, I think it's a great OS. Easy to use, clean, and all free. I changed from Windows 5 years ago after numerous problems and would never be tempted to return, regardless of what "new" system they brought out. I can never understand why more people don't try Linux, it's well worth a try.
Old 27th May 2016, 18:15

Just installed windows 10. Appears OK but curser point does'nt follow my finger very well,or gets stuck,and I have to move my finger from side to side,quickly,before it will respond. Also the responce of my laptop is a bit slower.
Old 27th May 2016, 18:29
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
I trained on Unix when I first got into computers. Linux is one of many derivatives of that original system. I certainly have no criticism of it, but have noted it isn't always user friendly toward those who don't really want to know the innards of an operating system, they just want an interface they can deal with.
I ran several versions of Linux on old computers for a while, it definitely gives them a new life. But as years went by running multiple operating systems just seemed a waste of time, and the software we were writing was Windows orientated so I just went with the flow.
The thing I dislike about Macs is Apple never want you messing with the innards of their machines, and they make that quite difficult. And they're expensive for what is often not really state of the art hardware at that price. This doesn't sit too well in environments where large numbers of machines are required and they tend to get considerable abuse (a school for instance.)
And the thumping great box under your desk is very easy to work on and very easy to upgrade so providing you don't have to carry it about (and in particular if you like a 30 inch display rather than a porthole) I'll go with it.
Old 27th May 2016, 18:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
I trained on Unix when I first got into computers. Linux is one of many derivatives of that original system. I certainly have no criticism of it, but have noted it isn't always user friendly toward those who don't really want to know the innards of an operating system, they just want an interface they can deal with.
I ran several versions of Linux on old computers for a while, it definitely gives them a new life. But as years went by running multiple operating systems just seemed a waste of time, and the software we were writing was Windows orientated so I just went with the flow.
The thing I dislike about Macs is Apple never want you messing with the innards of their machines, and they make that quite difficult. And they're expensive for what is often not really state of the art hardware at that price. This doesn't sit too well in environments where large numbers of machines are required and they tend to get considerable abuse (a school for instance.)
And the thumping great box under your desk is very easy to work on and very easy to upgrade so providing you don't have to carry it about (and in particular if you like a 30 inch display rather than a porthole) I'll go with it.
I'm using an old laptop in the afternoons. It was given to me to use by my kids. TBH, we never throw anything away and this computer isn't as vintage as Amstrad, but it must be one of the first laptops made by IBM! Anyway, it has Ubutu installed and is fine, but I use Windows 10 at home and, with this one, I stick to doing the bare essentials because I get confused, using two systems. The big problem is that the computer is too old for the software installed and that makes everything very slow. It makes heavy weather of scrolling and dragging with the mouse. You are right about the porthole!
Old 27th May 2016, 20:04

Watch out for this update if you don't want Windows 10 > KB3035583. Don't install it.
Old 28th May 2016, 08:31
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1982

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball44 View Post
Watch out for this update if you don't want Windows 10 > KB3035583. Don't install it.
What`s the damage if this is uploaded? I seem to have already done so, should I delete it?
Old 28th May 2016, 09:06

Reference KB3035583, try this link for a solution.

http://www.myce.com/news/how-to-unin...and-8-1-75681/
Old 28th May 2016, 09:07

Reference Windows 10, I'm not a great believer in upgrades, so I was surprised when I had no problems upgrading an old laptop from Windows 7. However, the same was not true of my wife's Windows 8.1 laptop or my Windows 7 desktop computer, so the latter two were 'rebuilt' using a Windows 10 ISO disk I created.

For further information, read Need to create a USB, DVD or ISO at https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10.

As others have mentioned, I cannot stress too highly the value of investing in an external hard drive onto which you can transfer those important documents, photographs and mp3 files.
Old 28th May 2016, 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wilcockson View Post
What`s the damage if this is uploaded? I seem to have already done so, should I delete it?
It is to get you to install windows 10 whether you want to or not. I suspect it is why I am having problems uploading images. Just having a full scan to see if it will help.
Old 28th May 2016, 10:05

My location
If you don't want the Windows 10 upgrade you don't select it !! It will not install unless you open the flag icon on the taskbar and specifically select it. Come July 29th you wont be entitled to it anyway as free upgrades are being withdrawn then so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'm currently in the process of upgrading 32 laptops from our local school and anybody who tells me it installs on its own without any user action or random button pressing needs to try this job.

When installed you can roll it back. Also, you should definitely take a disk image prior to upgrade so if it goes wrong, or the rollback doesn't work, you can just restore your C drive from the image.
Old 28th May 2016, 10:28

My location
Whoopie Doo!!

The tubeblower man has only been here for a short while but, my gum, he talks sense!! I've run ubuntu for years and have never had an OS problem. I don't even have anti-badstuff of any description installed. It just works! I often play with other 'flavours' of Linux by installing them from time to time. They work every time and my data remains safe and entirely usable. The only reasons for backup as far as I'm concerned are user error, machine failure and partition management.

It does not take long to get used to at all - well worth a test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeblowertel View Post
Try installing Linux Ubuntu on one of your older machines, I think it's a great OS. Easy to use, clean, and all free. I changed from Windows 5 years ago after numerous problems and would never be tempted to return, regardless of what "new" system they brought out. I can never understand why more people don't try Linux, it's well worth a try.
Old 30th May 2016, 23:00
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1960 - 1976

Sunday May 29 at 2300 I was online when suddenly I got a MicroSoft blue screen of death that said

"Do Not Shut Off Your Computer Downloading a Critical Windows 7 Security Update"

I shut off my monitor and began bedtime preparations. At midnight the computer was still on and busy downloading stuff.

When I got up at 8 AM the computer was off. Thirty minutes later when I booted my machine I was greeted with "Welcome to Windows 10".

For months now Micro$oft has repeatedly asked me to download Win10 and I have always said "No thanks".

After watching that screen for a half-hour I booted at the machine.

After several tries rebooting eventually my normal desktop screen came up. But none of the desktop, or tray program links worked, including the start button. Except this one WinWord97 where I write offline. So my Memorial Day Holiday has so far been spent trying to get my computer running again.

I have been rebooting and each time it seems after a fifteen minutes start up to finally reach my desktop and each time I found another program works. So the four main software packages I use, WinWord97, Firefox, Adobe Illustrator and Thumbs Plus now work. I have noticed that my modem has not stopped downloading stuff since this morning and is still constantly busy.

I do not know if I should be a happy or a sad camper?

Security Update My A ....

Trying program links I found the attached:

ThreeHardDrives.jpg (72.8 KB)

I have one 500 GB hard drive and that used to be reflected on this Defrag screen where it now says I have three hard drives?

Greg Hayden
Vista CA USA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ThreeHardDrives.jpg (72.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 30th May 2016, 23:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewl dude View Post
Sunday May 29 at 2300 I was online when suddenly I got a MicroSoft blue screen of death that said

"Do Not Shut Off Your Computer Downloading a Critical Windows 7 Security Update"

I shut off my monitor and began bedtime preparations. At midnight the computer was still on and busy downloading stuff.

When I got up at 8 AM the computer was off. Thirty minutes later when I booted my machine I was greeted with "Welcome to Windows 10".

For months now Micro$oft has repeatedly asked me to download Win10 and I have always said "No thanks".

After watching that screen for a half-hour I booted at the machine.

After several tries rebooting eventually my normal desktop screen came up. But none of the desktop, or tray program links worked, including the start button. Except this one WinWord97 where I write offline. So my Memorial Day Holiday has so far been spent trying to get my computer running again.

I have been rebooting and each time it seems after a fifteen minutes start up to finally reach my desktop and each time I found another program works. So the four main software packages I use, WinWord97, Firefox, Adobe Illustrator and Thumbs Plus now work. I have noticed that my modem has not stopped downloading stuff since this morning and is still constantly busy.

I do not know if I should be a happy or a sad camper?

Security Update My A ....

Trying program links I found the attached:

ThreeHardDrives.jpg (72.8 KB)

I have one 500 GB hard drive and that used to be reflected on this Defrag screen where it now says I have three hard drives?

Greg Hayden
Vista CA USA
Do you know the update number ? It should be in your update history.
Old 31st May 2016, 00:12

re: It should be in your update history.

Tell me where to find this and I will try.

Greg
Old 31st May 2016, 07:57

Quote:
re: It should be in your update history.

Tell me where to find this and I will try.

Greg
Click your start button, all programs, update icon. Then on the left click "View update history.
Old 31st May 2016, 10:05
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1983

Cueball 44 and Bob Clay- very many thanks for sharing your knowledge of Windows 10 and computers with us.

I have to update my own computer soon with Windows 10 - the three other users (own PCs) have had no end of issues with W 10.

BW

J
Old 31st May 2016, 10:41

My location
I really can't say why they're having such problems. This weekend I upgraded 5 laptops from 7 to 10 without a hitch. The main problem with them being that I had to get Windows 7 up to date first, which took a long time even with a 25 Mbit connection. The school doesn't leave Windows Update in automatic mode so I have to install them manually.
The secret, and I continue to emphasis this ... is take a DISK IMAGE first so you don't have to rely on the rollback feature that comes with Windows 10 for a month. All these facilities are built into Windows 7, 8 and 10. All you need to supply is a place to put the image, an external drive say, or a separate internal drive (NOT a partition on the system drive,) and a blank cd or dvd to create your recovery disk.
Old 31st May 2016, 19:41

re: Click your start button, all programs, update icon. Then on the left click "View update history.

Attached

1-Start.jpg (69.2 KB)
2-AllApps.jpg (82.9 KB)

Now if only I knew what the update icon looks like?

I have clicked around but not found it yet?

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-Start.jpg (69.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 2-AllApps.jpg (82.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 31st May 2016, 20:14

Quote:
re: Click your start button, all programs, update icon. Then on the left click "View update history.

Attached

1-Start.jpg (69.2 KB)
2-AllApps.jpg (82.9 KB)

Now if only I knew what the update icon looks like?

I have clicked around but not found it yet?

Greg
Windows update icon >
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (19.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 31st May 2016, 20:53

My location
Kewl Dude
Those are Windows 10 screenshots it looks like to me. Has Windows 10 actually gone in ?
To look at your update history look to the bottom right of your screen for something called 'Action Centre.' Open this up and click on 'All Settings.' When that opens click 'Update and Security' and your history, rollback options etc etc should be accessible from there.
Old 1st June 2016, 00:36

re: Those are Windows 10 screenshots it looks like to me. Has Windows 10 actually gone in ?

Yes it has as of yesterday morning.

I cannot find that update icon after clicking on Start/All Apps

I do not find anything called Action Centre but I do see an icon named Notifications, where I found All Settings resulting in finding Update History

Attached:

All Settings.jpg (118.8 KB)
Update History.jpg (98.2 KB)

Thank you,
Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg All Settings.jpg (118.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Update History.jpg (98.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 1st June 2016, 07:38

Quote:
re: Those are Windows 10 screenshots it looks like to me. Has Windows 10 actually gone in ?

Yes it has as of yesterday morning.

I cannot find that update icon after clicking on Start/All Apps

I do not find anything called Action Centre but I do see an icon named Notifications, where I found All Settings resulting in finding Update History

Attached:

All Settings.jpg (118.8 KB)
Update History.jpg (98.2 KB)

Thank you,
Greg
Thanks Greg, I will now keep an eye out for those update numbers so that I can stop them being installed.
Old 1st June 2016, 07:47

My location
Yes Notifications is right. Sorry, I'm using a beta test build of Windows 10 here (build 14352) and there have been a few changes.

Well you have an option there to uninstall the latest preview build. In theory that should roll you back to Windows 7. In theory.

The three hard drives are normal partitioning for Windows 10. I would examine these partitions in more detail by going as follows:
Move down the Start menu to All Apps:
Move down the subsequent menu and click on Windows System
Move down that to This PC
Right click on that select More then Manage.
You will now see what's known as an MMC console this one called Computer Management. This is something applicable to Windows 7 and 8 also, and everyone should be familiar with it, as here you can view your event logs etc.
On the MMC select Disk Management and wait a few seconds while it loads the information. Here you will see a breakdown of all your drives and their partitions. A partition looks like another drive to normal file operations, but in fact it merely a part of a physical drive. You should see 3 partitions for a normal Windows 10 installation. They'll be labelled something like: System Reserved, C drive (I'm assuming your main drive is called C) and Recovery.

My advice would be to stick with Windows 10 unless you continue to have problems, but if you don't like that idea, try the rollback as described above. I've never tried that myself as the one time I had a problem with a Windows 10 build on an insider ring (testing beta versions) I got back to the previous build using a disk image.

Good luck. And if you get back OK, think about taking a disk image as that will always get you back.

Last edited by BobClay; 1st June 2016 at 07:57..
Old 1st June 2016, 07:48

My location
One more thing to note: I believe the roll back option will only last for a month, so remember when Windows 10 went in.
Old 2nd June 2016, 10:20
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1982

My location
I know I`ve seen it somewhere, just can`t find it now, but what is the cut off date for the free upgrade to W10.