slow keyboard response - Ships Nostalgia
15:47

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

slow keyboard response

User Tag List

Old 19th January 2018, 09:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1950 - 1962

slow keyboard response

My PC , new a couple of years ago , and normally faultless in operation recently developed an annoying sporadic problem. The response between keyboard and screen normally instantaneous is sometimes delayed and even non existent. The delay is very short, perhaps a fraction of a second but enough to be a big nuisance.

There has been no problem at all typing this post but a short while ago it occurred with an email

A friend suggested that the batteries in the keyboard ( wireless) might need replacing which I did and thought that had done the trick but not for long.

Has anyone else come across this and been able to correct the problem?

Many thanks.

Pete..

Old 19th January 2018, 10:15
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
No mention of what operating system so I'm assuming it's Windows. One thing you should check. Open Task Manager then select the Performance Tab. When the problem occurs observe the CPU usage and the Disk usage. A slow down of keyboard response can be due to a CPU going flat out, and you would need to see what process is hogging the CPU time under the Processes tab.

That could give you a clue.
Old 19th January 2018, 11:44

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete8 View Post
My PC , new a couple of years ago , and normally faultless in operation recently developed an annoying sporadic problem. The response between keyboard and screen normally instantaneous is sometimes delayed and even non existent. The delay is very short, perhaps a fraction of a second but enough to be a big nuisance.

There has been no problem at all typing this post but a short while ago it occurred with an email

A friend suggested that the batteries in the keyboard ( wireless) might need replacing which I did and thought that had done the trick but not for long.

Has anyone else come across this and been able to correct the problem?

Many thanks.

Pete..

Hi Pete, this is exactly the same problem I faced after an auto-update. I'm using Windows 8.1 and as well as what you have described, I found that when going back to correct a spelling, the next letter to the one I was typing vanished. Bloody frustrating as I was typing a chapter of my Bahia Blanca adventures for posting here and it was useless. The delay lengthened to about five seconds.
I found Microsoft Support number, left a message with my number and had a return call almost immediately.
I had a great tech woman, who corrected the whole thing over, I think about an hour and not only fixed it, but I had a number of follow-up emails checking if it was satisfactory and if I had any further problems with their product.

I have posted this on another thread and perhaps you could read it:
Computers and the Internet forum 18th November last. Heading: 'I have problem with lagging when typing emails'. Contact details on the thread.

Sounds like you recently had an auto update?

Cheers

Taff
Old 19th January 2018, 12:48

Thank you Bob . I have checked CPU and disk in TaskManager and would say that CPU is nowhere near flat out....top figure 39% dropping. Not clear at all what this means of course !!

Taff, Have read your previous email and pleased that you got everything resolved via Microsoft .....clever folks these. I will ask my granddaughter to assist with contact as I don't cope very well with telephones these days.
Pete.
PS Best Wishes with your book.
Old 19th January 2018, 16:44

Last year I updated to Windows 10.It caused a lot of problems,but a local PC engineer fixed the problems,but gradually the same thing happened to me with an ever increasing delay between pressing the key and printing.Also I was unable to get passed twenty three lines.By that time I could virtually make a drink of tea in the time it took between pressing the key and printing.Also the back space was very slow.Make a mistake,and it took an age too go back,and when it did it went over what I had taken ages to write.Suddenly it started working OK,and I have had no problems since.No idea what caused it,but it was never in evidence with Windows 7.
Old 19th January 2018, 17:36
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Not that I'd recommend it, but what I've done several times over the years with many different computers when things go seriously wrong, is do a full re-boot (F11) and take it right back to the original factory settings.
It's rather time consuming, and ALL passwords etc need to be recorded on hard copy.
But after it's done and everything is back in place and updates uploaded I always find that the 'puter works much better, and quite a bit of space on the disk drive has been saved.
Photo's and Files I back up on two separate backup/storage drives.
Drastic I know, and I don't have any really important stuff on my 'puter anyway, but it does seem to clear up a lot of glitches..
Old 19th January 2018, 18:12

My location
two things, have you installed the latest drivers, and or try a different keyboard
Old 19th January 2018, 18:44

Try this >
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (46.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 19th January 2018, 20:04
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1958 - 1970

Having used MS from the days when the first desktops were available, then with the simple MS Dos, Microsoft operating systems have become an anathema to me. I have had to use them for years because the CAD software that I needed in a succession of companies would only run in the multitude of Windows systems, but over those years I have seen so many examples of MS updates and OS upgrades that were so bug-ridden as to cause multiple problems. This, I firmly believe, is because Microsoft issue updates and upgrades in beta and wait to see what the problems are before issuing patches to cure them (and to introduce more bugs!).

Windows 10 seemed to be at last a stable OS without too many bugs, but Microsoft then embarked upon the new way of insulting their customers with their accursed automatic updates that started whether one wanted them or not and took over one's computer -- sometimes for hours. I found several ways of disabling them, but in every case Microsoft bypassed those disables and even, when they applied for a short while, kept interrupting whatever I was doing by taking over my screen to tell me they were downloading updates. I then had to "hide" the downloads and then cancel them on the next screen that popped up.

OK Mr. Microsoft, you win. I now, reluctantly, intend to bin my one remaining PC and replace it with another Mac. From now on I will avoid anything to do with Microsoft like the plague!
Old 19th January 2018, 23:22
user
Active: 1969 - 1973

Art just buy the new version of CAD compatible to your operating system....time marches on once again and no free lunches.Software is worse than OS's for taking a profit.
Old 20th January 2018, 09:43

Funny things these computers I think they must have feelings.....since my post yesterday I thought that my machine had decided to stop playing around. Ah, not to be. Must be the weather!!.
A local PC fixer once advised me to re boot the PC ( XP) regularly as a sort of house cleaning op. Seemed too me a lot of unnecessary hassle.

Pete
Old 20th January 2018, 09:53

My location
Early versions of operating systems did have a tendency to lose track of memory, this was known as memory leakage. Having allocated a section of RAM to some purpose it would not be returned to use when that purpose was completed.

So a reboot now and again freed up all such lost memory.

This was a larger problem with 32 bit systems and their limited memory to start with. These days with 64 bit systems (work out 2 raised to the power of 64, you're looking at millions of trillions) it's less of a problem. The memory capacity nowadays is limited by the Motherboard rather than the addressing.
Old 20th January 2018, 10:15

A bit confused over terminology.....is re boot the same as a datal system restore which I have previously carried out on the old XP. but didn't back up passwords.....apparently without losing anything.
Old 20th January 2018, 10:28

My location
Sorry, bad habit of mine with jargon. A reboot is literally a restart, or the old 'off and on again.' A restore is a bit more drastic and is usually reserved for things like data loss or infection or unwanted changes to the registry.

When you restart a computer it clears out all the RAM which is the working memory for the operating system. Doesn't contain any fixed things like passwords or files, that's all on the hard drive.

Last edited by BobClay; 20th January 2018 at 20:47..
Old 20th January 2018, 15:49

Speaking about slowing down of the keyboard made me look at what software I was running at the time it came up.

Web browser
Video Editor
Sound editor
TV player
OS Mapping
Image editor.

It's a marvel what these machines do without complaining.
Old 20th January 2018, 15:53

My location
That's the wonderful thing about machines, they never complain.

They just think: 'Enough is enough' and pull the control rods out of the nuclear reactor.

Old 20th January 2018, 18:12

I remember when I was first learning CAD, any operation on the construction that needed a redraw meant that there would be a 20 minute pause while the calculations were done. 8086 processor, 1 K memory, only 640 K useable. Lots of time for thinking.