Whistles - Ships Nostalgia
06:25

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Whistles

User Tag List

Old 7th May 2018, 08:21

Whistles

Recently I have gotten obsessed with Steam whistles. I want to try and make a down scaled Triple Chime whistle (Normandie's whistle) and i'm wondering if any of you have plans for one? Thanks!
Old 7th May 2018, 09:10
Super Moderator

The Canberra steam whistle is here: https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=45954

I recorded it in 1972 when we were leaving Hong Kong when she still had a steram whistle. The tape goes on a bit all the way to the airport, but going astern she blows three times, which is really impressive!

I had just bought a stereo system in Yokohama so dangled the two microphones out of my cabin window in my Crew & Isolation Hospital on C Deck aft. You also here all the other noises of a ship leaving port gun port doors being closed as well as the tugs.

Last edited by Pompeyfan; 7th May 2018 at 09:19..
Old 7th May 2018, 12:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Recently I have gotten obsessed with Steam whistles. I want to try and make a down scaled Triple Chime whistle (Normandie's whistle) and i'm wondering if any of you have plans for one? Thanks!

Here is one that I have. Makes the right tone. I tried once, OK, a few time, hold it over the vent of a pressure cooker. Works great. :-)

Years ago I had a steam kettle and had a triple chime end of the spout. Beautiful. Used it so much I broke it.

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg train whistle.jpg (4.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 7th May 2018, 20:47
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1959 - 1977

I thought at first glance you were talking about a pocket whistle. We carried them in Ellermans. One peep for the Bridge Boy, Two for the QM and Three for an Apprentice! At least I think that was the order. On your whistles, reattaching the whistle wires to the Bridge fell to the Apprentices on sailing and always a sense of power when time came to test it.
Old 7th May 2018, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeyfan View Post
Why can't I see this, it says I don't have permission?
Old 7th May 2018, 21:45

Farmer John, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Old 7th May 2018, 21:54
Super Moderator

Farmer John

You have to join Cruises & Cruising. It is subscription the same as Stormy Weather. Any problems please let me know.
Old 7th May 2018, 23:15

Thank you, will do that. Anything that makes you lot whistle.
Old 7th May 2018, 23:19

"This does not appear to be a public user group."

Sorry to be a pain, I only want to hear a whistle. If I join, I will leave again after the performance.
Old 7th May 2018, 23:30
Super Moderator

Cruises & Cruising is easy to join. Just follow this link: https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/profil...editusergroups

Any problems please let me know, but once joined click on the link I provided in #2 and you will hear the Canberra Steam Whistle as well as other noises as she left Hong Kong such as bagpipes playing on the quay, gunport doors being closed, the swishing of the ropes, and the engines and whistles of the tugs pulling us out, so you hear all the noises of a passenger liner leaving port including the wonderful deep sound of her steam whistle. It is worth joining Cruises & Cruising just to hear that
Old 7th May 2018, 23:41
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
"This does not appear to be a public user group."

Sorry to be a pain, I only want to hear a whistle. If I join, I will leave again after the performance.
John

No need to leave once you join. Cruises and Cruising is not only about cruising. I cover port and ship web cams meaning you see other ships. In fact, it can be very frustrating because although I can find the name of a cargo ships or whatever on AIS, naval ships do not show, so I have no idea. Therefore, it would be handy if naval experts were members of Cruises & Cruising. I also cover weather all over the world from hurricanes to cyclones, and again affecting all shipping, not just cruise ships. Sadly, the Cruises & Cruising title is misunderstood.
Old 8th May 2018, 07:44
Super Moderator

For those of you wishing the hear the Canberra Steam Whistle, and have joined Cruises & Cruising the thread is in the Ship and Port Webcams thread or use my link in #2 .
Old 8th May 2018, 08:55
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - Present

We have a very nice brass steam whistle as a door stop at th front door. I found it sticking out of a rubbish heap in Mossel Bay port. I was relieving there as the one and only Pilot had had a heart attack. It cleaned up0 and polished up well. It was probably off one of the old steam trawlers of I and J that were based there. Unfortunately there are no identification marks or numbers. If they were there they have been polished off.
Old 8th May 2018, 10:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeyfan View Post
For those of you wishing the hear the Canberra Steam Whistle, and have joined Cruises & Cruising the thread is in the Ship and Port Webcams thread or use my link in #2 .
Thanks David.
Most spectacular.

One question that one of the good SN Members may be able to answer:

On a large passenger vessel how was a steam whistle remotely controlled. On some smaller/older (?) vessels I have seen a physical cable connection between the bridge and the whistle valve but how was/is this done on a large vessel such as a liner? I imagine that with a steam whistle there would be an initial shower of dirty water before steam entered the actual whistle?

In this day and age are 'whistles' air or electric operated, please?

Geoff (YM)
Old 8th May 2018, 10:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodend View Post
We have a very nice brass steam whistle as a door stop at th front door. I found it sticking out of a rubbish heap in Mossel Bay port. I was relieving there as the one and only Pilot had had a heart attack. It cleaned up0 and polished up well. It was probably off one of the old steam trawlers of I and J that were based there. Unfortunately there are no identification marks or numbers. If they were there they have been polished off.
All you need now is some method of blowing it. That should stir up the neighbours!!!
Old 8th May 2018, 16:13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post
Thanks David.
Most spectacular.

One question that one of the good SN Members may be able to answer:

On a large passenger vessel how was a steam whistle remotely controlled. On some smaller/older (?) vessels I have seen a physical cable connection between the bridge and the whistle valve but how was/is this done on a large vessel such as a liner? I imagine that with a steam whistle there would be an initial shower of dirty water before steam entered the actual whistle?

In this day and age are 'whistles' air or electric operated, please?

Geoff (YM)

Sorry Geoff, I do not have the answer. All I know is that Canberra had a steam whistle when I was aboad her. I loved it every time she blew, that wonderful deep sound better than any liner I knew. Having an open deck in my Crew & Isolation Hospital, and almost under her funnel, I heard it loudly every time. Hopefully, Farmer John and others will be able to hear it.

Glad you liked the Canberra steam whistle leaving Hong Kong, and all the other noises of a liner leaving port. I assume you are a member of Cruises & Cruising so would know that it is far more than a cruising site?
Old 8th May 2018, 17:57
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1974 - 1981

My location
As a Radio Officer on Canberra, I can certainly verify the effectiveness of the steam whistle as it was pointed at the Forward accommodation block -- it was so loud that the bridge would make broadcast over the PA warning pax on the open decks that it would be sounded. Probably just as well or Pompeyfan would have been picking up the heart attack victims every time it sounded
Old 8th May 2018, 22:19

It has worked for me, an awesome sound, I shall reserve it for use at an inappropriate moment.
Old 9th May 2018, 00:22

Steam or compressed air is the same. If the pressure is the same then the sound will be same. Example, RMS QUEEN MARY in Long Beach, the two Tyfon horns on the forward funnel were steam originally. They are operated several times a day and they are air operated. The QUEEN MARY 2 has one of the original horns from the old QUEEN MARY. She also has a replica of the horn on the funnel as well. As far as I know, the horns on QM2 are air operated but they have a small steam generator that blows WITH the compresses air. It does not sound the same as the horns on QUEEN MARY. I suspect the pressure is not same as it should.

The old steam CHAUNCEY M DEPEW in Bermuda had a great steam whistle. She went off to sold abroad but the whistle was left behind. Some years later the skipper on CANIMA rigged up the CHAUNCEY whistle and used to blow it once in a while, on compressed air. The sound was the same.

Stephen
Old 9th May 2018, 02:41

Thanks David, Bob, FJ and Stephen.
Interesting that a warning was broadcast before use of the whistle. We have a similar situation in the rail industry where the use of detonators is almost extinct in case it scares the fairies. No matter that their use may well save someone's life.
I have always been under the IMPRESSION that a whistle blown with steam will give a different sound than the same whistle blown with air but have no factual basis for that impression.
These days one is unlikely to be able put that impression to the test.
We did put a steam loco whistle on a diesel loco 50 odd years ago but by the very nature of the steam unit being a 'whistle' rather than a 'horn' it pretty much drained the loco's main reservoir air in an instant. (This, of course, should have been obvious from the start.)
Geoff (YM)

Last edited by YM-Mundrabilla; 9th May 2018 at 05:52..
Old 11th May 2018, 00:00
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1977 - 1999

Try this for size

does that wet anyone's whistle at all
Old 11th May 2018, 04:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
Try this for size

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdvxYM9H7_8

does that wet anyone's whistle at all
That's the one I want to replicate (well smaller..) So next time I go to the Bach I can play that across the bay
Old 18th May 2018, 17:30
Department: Engineering

Hi YM-Mundrabilla,
The notes of a whistle on air and on steam will be different.
The fundamental wavelength of the sound will be a mix of integer fractions of the the whistle's length. Frequency x wavelength = sonic velocity. The sonic velocity of air and steam are different. The speed of sound of 20 deg C air is about 345 m/s and is roughly proportional to the the square root of the absolute temperature. (it is proportional for an ideal gas and equals the square root of Gamma x R x T/M) The speed of sound in steam varies with both the temperature and the pressure. The fundamental frequency will be different and the mix of harmonics will be different.

Last edited by Victor J. Croasdale; 18th May 2018 at 17:32..
Old 19th May 2018, 01:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor J. Croasdale View Post
Hi YM-Mundrabilla,
The notes of a whistle on air and on steam will be different.
The fundamental wavelength of the sound will be a mix of integer fractions of the the whistle's length. Frequency x wavelength = sonic velocity. The sonic velocity of air and steam are different. The speed of sound of 20 deg C air is about 345 m/s and is roughly proportional to the the square root of the absolute temperature. (it is proportional for an ideal gas and equals the square root of Gamma x R x T/M) The speed of sound in steam varies with both the temperature and the pressure. The fundamental frequency will be different and the mix of harmonics will be different.
Thanks Victor.
Much appreciated - so I didn't imagine it.
In all matters steam it seems that compressed air is a poor but, these days, often necessity. Certainly better than nothing!
Thanks again.
Geoff (YM)
Old 20th May 2018, 01:29
Department: Engineering

Hi Stephen,

Air and steam behave very differently. The sound will be different with air or steam. I posted a fuller (but not complete) explanation lower in this thread.