Original QE2 Radio Officer from 1968/69 - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
13:27

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Original QE2 Radio Officer from 1968/69

User Tag List

Old 8th March 2013, 10:23

I think the "Brian" that a number of you have referred to would likely be BRH Martin? The last I heard he was living in Broome in West Australia.

Cheers everyone - Alan
Old 3rd August 2013, 23:56
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1971 - 1981

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie2182 View Post
Declan was murdered in an attempted "mugging" in San Juan ,Peurto Rico
whilst on shore leave whilst serving aboard Cunard Countess (Princess?).....

just for your information, Roger.

best regards
Hi Sparkie2182

Think Declan was serving on Cunard Ambassador at the time. Was ashore on El Morro beach (officially out if bounds) with Kieran Ward another R/O. Declan's wife had just left to fly home and he and Kieran were having a game of soccer on the beach when a couple of teenage locals attempted a mugging. Declan fronted up to them ad sent them packing. They took a shot at him with a 45 snub from over 300 yards and unfortunately the bullet caught him under his armpit and severed his aorta - killing him virtually instantly. A very sad day!
Knew Kieran well - never heard a bad word about Declan. Everyone said what a great guy he was. The crew were going to take San Juan, PR apart to find the culprits - but the police did the job for them.
Old 9th August 2013, 18:43

@PPGFlyer - when were you on CP? I was there from the maiden voyage until 1981. Cheers
Old 9th August 2013, 18:45

PPGFlyer when were you on GUNN/C6CG? I was there from the maiden voyage until 1981? Cheers - Alan Marsden
Old 23rd October 2013, 00:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie2182 View Post
Don Hamilton?
Not me I'm afraid.. I was still at school in 1969 but did eventually start at GWZM in about 1972 where I sailed on an assortment of Container ships (ACT2/ACT6) Tankers (Lucigen/Lustrous), a Brock Boat (Markhor), had a spell on loan to Cory/Ocean (Monksgarth) and finally 3 years on Cunard Countess (before the "Office" discovered their mistake!)
I came ashore in 1980 and took up the first job I could get thinking that it would "do until a proper job came along".
Here I am 33 years later, still there and still looking for a "proper job" :-)

I occasionally correspond with Mike Rossiter and actually had a call from Frank Dunn recently to tell me that he had found my Mandolin (which I had left on GUNP) in his attic. It came as a bit of surprise to find that despite 33 years in a loft, I still can't play it ...

73's
Don Hamilton
Old 15th December 2013, 19:50

Smile Hello to you wonderful people

Just happened to sign again (I think since about 2 years). I'm not a crew member but was a lecturer on board Cunard from 1988 until 2002. My wife Annette and I had so many friends in Cunard, I think they included us in their family. In any event, I signed in to see if
there were any names we recognize. And yes there were. Gareth Hamlin, who eventualy went to work on the first new Disney ship I think. Steve Hare was another. We were very good friends with Capt Robin Woodall, Capt Ron Bolton, Commodore Riddley, Commodore Burton-Hall, Commodore Ron Warwick. and many of the other crew. We sailed 68 trips on QE2, beginning in May 1988, and just completed our 151st cruise which was on Holland America Maasdam, and completed 1516 days at sea and still going. We also sailed 4 times with Capt John Scott, on the Noordam, who was Chief Officer on QE2 back in 1988/89/90. We may sail with him again this coming Feb. Annette and I made a
wonderful pass time of planning our free time on cruise ships. I have to say, the crew of all the cruise lines should be considered Ambassadors, because you meet and greet all walks of life from all over the world, and some passenger's impressions are gathered from you, the crew, who also come from different countries. We retired from BA after 40 years, and Annette after 31 years, and we look back at how our lives have changed and improved because of our experiences on board the cruise ships, and especially in meeting such wonderful people, passengers and crew.
Thanks for this opportunity, and have a wonderful Christmas 2013, and New Year 2014.
Campbell & Annette Pritchett
Oviedo, Florida.

Last edited by Pompeyfan; 15th December 2013 at 21:30..
Old 10th January 2014, 20:47
Active: 1969 - 1974

Here is a little more information that may be helpful. I joined QE2 from the Franconia about 6 months after the maiden voyage. At the time Don Butterworth was the Chief with Alan Holmes, Dave Wayne, Jim Neary, Gordon Fry and Clive Russell. I think Roger Latham had just left. Later, Brian Beecham took over from Don while he was on leave. This is why the picture of the radio room that shows up in google search has Brian in it. The others I think are me and Clive Russell. Phil Marriott and Declan O'Reilly joined (or came back) later.
They were all a wonderful group of guys and I remember them fondly.
Later I was moved to the Cunard Adventurer with Declan and we became close friends. I was his best man when he was married in Dublin shortly before he was killed in PR.

Peter Smith
Old 6th June 2014, 13:07
Active: 1970 - 1990

radioroom2.jpg
Heres a photo of the Radio Room and team on QE2 1979
Brian Martin, Ian Hamilton, Me, Allan Holmes and Peter Hughes. Believe it or not, I was actually receiving a QTC from Buckingham Palace as this photo was taken, hence not posing!
Old 18th June 2014, 18:12
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthechill View Post
Malcolm! Hi! Bob (or Rob as we know him) lives about 25 yards away from me, in Stamford Bridge, East Yorkshire and is now retired. He finished-up on Channel Ferries and, when they were having cut-backs, he took early retirement.

He is on wife #2 now as wife #1 and he got divorced several years ago.

He is a prolific gardener keeping all hands round here supplied with fresh fruit (strawberries and rasps), peas, beans (of all varieties), spuds, beetroot, lettuce etc. etc.

He and his missis love walking and go off for several days at a time to The Lake District, Dales, North York Moors and any other place they can find where the paths are anything but horizontal!!

They have a mixed-breed dog they got from a rescue place which goes everywhere they go.

That's about all I can really think about to bring you up to date!

I'll tell him you're on SN and if he knows there is at least one person remembers him it may just give him the impetus he needs to join! Salaams, Phil
I remember Bob because he always had several flower pots of crops growing on the bridge wing of the Cunard Countess.
Old 21st January 2016, 18:11
Active: 1965 - Present

I don't know if I even replied to this. I am Alex Reid and our 2/0 was Charlie Rankine who you may remember was married in NYC on the day of QE2 maiden arrival. I remember we has a small reception in QE2 wardroom that night in the midst of it all !
Old 21st January 2016, 22:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willum View Post
Attachment 49978
Heres a photo of the Radio Room and team on QE2 1979
Brian Martin, Ian Hamilton, Me, Allan Holmes and Peter Hughes. Believe it or not, I was actually receiving a QTC from Buckingham Palace as this photo was taken, hence not posing!
You don't look 100, Willum!

John T
Old 22nd January 2016, 17:26
Active: 1977 - 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunarder View Post
PPGFlyer when were you on GUNN/C6CG? I was there from the maiden voyage until 1981? Cheers - Alan Marsden
Hey Allan, sorry for the late reply, haven't been on here in quite a while I guess, a reply to Willum by John T just brought me back.

You probably left before I joined, according to my discharge book the first trip on CP was May 9th, 1981, joined in San Juan. Did a second trip, joined in Vancouver, then it was back to QE2 until after the Falklands. Then I went back to CC and CP.

I visited Willum and Eric Bainger while back in UK Jan/Feb of 2015.

Greg.M
Old 16th June 2017, 22:02

Hi, sorry for the late response to this.
Peter Wright was my grandpa, unfortunately he passed away in 2001 after a battle with Alzheimer's.
My grandmother is still with us - Marian. She may be remembered as she went on many trips with my Grandpa.
She still travels once a year with Cunard now.
If anyone has any pictures of my grandpa or any stories I can share with my grandma she would love to hear and see them and reminisce ?
Old 24th May 2018, 21:30
Active: 1957 - 2008

Was Mike Fitzgerald on the maiden voyage or worked in the maiden year?
Old 25th May 2018, 00:07
Active: 1970 - 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosunsMate View Post
Was Mike Fitzgerald on the maiden voyage or worked in the maiden year?
Hello, Mike was before my time so not sure whether he went down the Clyde. He was also after my time too he rejoined QE2 before he retired.