Gothland - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
21:23

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Gothland

User Tag List

Old 14th November 2014, 18:19

hi jimmy yes billy glasgow was my uncle and benny they have both passed away now ,i remember you as i sailed on the gothland done six months cant remeber what year it was but i recall being in dry dock in govan and having a couple of day off to go home billy came to
Old 14th November 2014, 20:51

I was transferred to Currie Line after the takeover by Anchor Line - all the Currie Ships were transferred, Gothland, Highland,Pentland,Finland,Courland and England ( Bareboat Chartered from Sea Containers) - Sailed as Second Mate on Pentland with Captain Wallace in 1971 then on Gothland with Captain James Laing in1971 then Gothland again in 1973 as Chief Officer - mainly with Captain Laing - First Class Master and a pleasure to sail with - Chief Engineer was Bob Christie and Mr McCallum - very happy and comfortable ship but yes she could roll as all ore carriers did ! Remember passage through the Pentland Firth en route to Glasgow from Narvik and at one point we were at Full Ahead and were getting nowhere due to the adverse current. - believe some Masters would slow steam on approach and await the right conditions to sail through the Firth ! BISCO had instructed the Company to sail on passage at around 10 knots - I once had to take a full turn in the English Channel due to meeting the Begian Fishing Fleet in low visibility and it took 12 minutes - seemed like eternity ! Bit of a change from the Anchor Line Twin Screw Passenger Vessels but have fond memories of the Gothland - and Currie Line - good shipmates.
Old 12th December 2018, 01:32

I was at the launch in 1961 - got some official photos. My father was Jim Munro - Chief Marine Superintendent for Currie Line - based at Goldenacre, Edinburgh.
Old 12th December 2018, 07:56

Re.Gothland

Jim - I remember your Father well from the Currie Line days both on the Gothland with Jimmie Laing and Bob Christie and on the Pentland with Andy Wallace - also on the Anchor Line Indian Trade Vessels - a Jim plus your Mother came out to Bombay ( as it was ) for a dry docking when I was there - he was an excellent Superintendent and always easy to work with. You will also remember Captain Dickson the Marine Superintendent. Happy days. Bob
Old 22nd December 2018, 17:08
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1982

My location
Not sure of the full story but believe she was laid down for Ropners & sold on the stocks to Currie`s.
Old 22nd December 2018, 17:20
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wilcockson View Post
Not sure of the full story but believe she was laid down for Ropners & sold on the stocks to Currie`s.
Must admit that was news to me....you could be right but there wasn't any mention of any Ropners connection to 'my' fleet until mid 1970's.

geoff
Old 22nd December 2018, 19:52

Gothland

David - Have not heard of the " Ropner Connection " re. the sale on the stocks to Currie Line - given some time I could check this out - whatever happened it was a good move for Currie Line - it might have been a spec ship built by Lithgows as they did build a few - mainly general cargo vessels in the 1960's.

Bob.
Old 22nd December 2018, 20:31

Certainly she didn't fit the normal BISCO spec, as by then we were chartering vessels in the mould of Victore/Welsh Herald/Livanita with DWT of about 27.000 and somewhat speedier...Gothland normally was about 21800 winter marks.

geoff
Old 22nd December 2018, 21:54

Gothland

Seem to recall that, on BISCO instructions, we ran continuously at reduced speed for quite a few years - the longest voyage we ever undertook was to Angola and do remember always loading around 21,500 tons. Was always interesting if we were instructed LEFO - info waited with some interest - Reliefs !!!!

Bob.
Old 22nd December 2018, 23:11

Indeed,most economical speed was the watchword on a couple of vessels.

Geoff
Old 4th January 2019, 09:29
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1964 - 1982

My location
I`ve got the wrong vessel, & it was the Roland that was sold to Currie`s on the stocks by Ropners, & not the Gothland, sorry for that. I have no information why this happened & can only guess it may have been influenced by the Rushpool + Romanby coming on stream at roughly the same time. They were almost 2k dwt greater than the Roland. Once again apologies for the duff info.
Old 4th January 2019, 09:42

Thanks David...can stop searching now!

geoff