Hello from a NA Student - Ships Nostalgia
07:11

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hello from a NA Student

User Tag List

Old 4th February 2019, 22:50

Hello from a NA Student

Hello to everyone who loves tugs, fishing vessels, workboats and sailing yachts!!
Old 5th February 2019, 08:36
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post
Hello to everyone who loves tugs, fishing vessels, workboats and sailing yachts!!
Hello and welcome. In my ignorance, may I ask what is an NA student?

Howard
Old 5th February 2019, 08:40

Hello, Howard. It's very simle. Naval (N) Architecture
Old 5th February 2019, 08:55
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Welcome onboard vladd, enjoy the site.......

Cheers Frank
Old 5th February 2019, 10:36

Hello Vladd, first let me wish you well in your chosen profession, it will be very interesting. Is your scope of study limited to fishing boats, tugs and sailing yachts, if affirmative have you ever sailed on any of the type, if not then may I respectfully suggest that you take the opportunity, if it avails itself, to sail on, or take a trip on, the types of vessels you are contemplating designing.

As practical seafarers we have often said when on watch (whether it be on the bridge or below) that we wish the barsteward who had designed this was here now, especially in real bad weather, when a 600' vessel buries the first 200' under the waves, tank testing and computers cannot replicate mother nature's moods and inconsistencies, things that may be logically placed for good weather may be a seaman's nightmare in inclement weather or in a fire situation. Too many to mention, but one that sticks in my mind, (when changing a foreign flag ship to UK registry) may seem trivial, unless you've actually experienced a fire at sea, is that the emergency fire pump was sited on the bottom plates of the engineroom, rather than being in an isolated position at deck level.

Anyway as said good luck in your endeavours, it should be very interesting
Old 5th February 2019, 10:43
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

I applaud that advice however it may prove difficult to find a commercial owner/operator who will be willing to provide that experience. My last company cannot persuade any of its client owners to offer such spaces.

It seems an obvious economy to offer familiarisation before the industry devotes any further resources to bringing on of students. If they go to sea later and find it intolerable (and I have sailed, briefly, with one such) either state or industry resources have been wasted.
Old 5th February 2019, 15:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P View Post
Welcome onboard vladd, enjoy the site.......

Cheers Frank
Thank you very much, Frank!
Old 5th February 2019, 15:30

Thank you, seaman38, your advices are great!
Old 5th February 2019, 15:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
however it may prove difficult to find a commercial owner/operator who will be willing to provide that experience.
It is so,Valery! But I will have it found.
Old 5th February 2019, 16:02
Department: Deck
Active: 1956 - Present

My location
I have long held the view that ship design comes from those who have little sea time. However, if this is true, then the good design I have experienced is surprising.

I once sailed on a small coaster where the mate and I kept watch and watch. It was only when the vessel came to be laid up in port that I appreciated that our cabins were adjacent with the bunks head to head and only a paper thin bulkhead between. He was a good bit older than I was and I frequently woke up to sounds of pleasure from his girl friend. My only thought was, "I hope I'm still doing that when I'm his age. So I thank one naval architect for a positive thought. And luckily I'm still at it.
Old 5th February 2019, 16:09
Department: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd View Post
Hello, Howard. It's very simle. Naval (N) Architecture
Thanks Vladd - we do get a variety of shorthand descriptions so sometimes the obvious is forgotten!

It may be interesting if you expand on where you hope to take your NA experience when you qualify - what type of ships etc. You will find a great variety of ship experience on this site and as you will have already seem there may be no shortage of helpful suggestions about improving ship design. Not least of which is the very useful suggestion about experiencing some time at sea on as wide a variety of vessels as possible. Maybe your college can help in finding a berth?

Good luck with your studies.

Howard