Kuwait Shipping Co - Page 20 - Ships Nostalgia
14:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Kuwait Shipping Co

User Tag List

Old 10th October 2018, 15:37
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

Hello there,

Can anyone remember the Make and Model of the sewage treatment plant on the Govan built ships? They were a menace unless the Cadet had "O" Level chemistry.
Old 10th October 2018, 17:50
Active: 1968 - 2011

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
Hello there,

Can anyone remember the Make and Model of the sewage treatment plant on the Govan built ships? They were a menace unless the Cadet had "O" Level chemistry.
I remember catching Dave Goodhand C/E looking through the round window studying the turds on the perforated rubber belt. When I asked him what he was doing his reply was "Looking for countersunk turds to find if we have any shirt-lifters on board".
Old 10th October 2018, 19:02
Department: Navigation
Active: 1965 - 2008

Dave Goodhand

Albie There is a name from the past. Dave was Chief in the Ibn Younus in 80 with " Uncle Bob ". He had relived Brother Mileham.
We we anchored at the Shatt. Bob was away one Sunday visiting the Ibn Hazm [ I think it was ] when a Shamal blew up. Our boat was alongside the Hazm then started to shoot off in the general direction of Dubai.
The Third Mate was with the boat so it left me [ Mate ] and Second Mate on board.Told the Engineers to get the job ready as the Hazm did not appear to be wanting to go after their boat [ which was in going after ours ] there were about 100 + ships in the anchorage. Sent Second Mate frd to shorten up and Dave came up on the Bridge to give me a hand. We had a 1st trip baby Elect who came up on the Bridge and got in the way. First he grabbed MY glasses [ not ships ]. Got told his fortune for that then he stood in the bridge door in my way from getting to the VHF. he was told to F off. Says baby Elect to DG. Did you hear what he said to me Chief ? Dave says Yes get out of the Mates way.
Never saw Dave after the Younus butdid sail with " Uncle Bob " again
Alan
Old 12th October 2018, 12:27
Active: 1968 - 2014

The sewage unit was a Wilson Elsan, the idea was the sewage fell on a perforated belt, liquid dropped through and solids traveled to the end and dropped into the solid tank. When that tank reached high level the grinder pump with tungsten carbide teeth cut in and sent it to the holding tank.
The liquids were tested, treated with chemicals and used to flush the toilets, the pumps took suction via an auto backwash filter.
The system did not work because the paper fiber built up and clogged the backwash filter causing the pumps to cavitate and the chemicals made the flush liquid smell.
We used to say who looks after the sewage unit, the turd engineer
Old 13th October 2018, 07:25

Wilson Elsan, one of the very few mistakes on the K-Class. At one stage on the Ibn Battotah eyes were stinging when in the bathroom but the Chief stoutly defended the Elsan. It was not until one of the wives got a splash on her bum and it blistered (me neither) that the beast was by-passed. Relief all round, we could once again read a magazine on the throne.
Old 13th October 2018, 07:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbieR View Post
I remember catching Dave Goodhand C/E looking through the round window studying the turds on the perforated rubber belt. When I asked him what he was doing his reply was "Looking for countersunk turds to find if we have any shirt-lifters on board".
He could have visited the Wireless Shack.
Old 4th November 2018, 12:02

One of the oldies of KSC/UASC

Quote:
Aye probably all up in the Golden Moon, still when they come back we can go AWOL and show them how the big boys play!
Hi Albie, I am also still around and still going strong at 81.
Didn't visit the Golden Moon too often, I remember John Seffen a junior getting robbed in the back of a taxi on his way back to Port Louis.Loaded sugar there at least three times and had great times in a rented car, at disco's in Curepepe and parties with the wrens from the naval base.
Old 4th November 2018, 15:34

My location
Hi Brian,
Good to see you are still about and going strong. Me too, Tennants must have been a magic elixar. Just getting ready fly to New Zealand tomorrow to visit Kiwi (Dick Kearsley) he has been over a few times so we thought it was time we went there. John Seffen I remember well, good engineer when he wanted to be.
Keep well and speak to you when we are back early December.
Albie
Old 5th November 2018, 13:16
Active: 1964 - 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Martin View Post
Anybody here sail with KSCo? I did one trip with them as 3rd Mate in 1974. Mate was a splendid chap named Peter Everett. He later gained command with them and appeared in a national newspaper after rescuing a boatload of Vietnamese boat people in the S China Sea.
Sailed with Peter Everett on one of the big Russians where he was Captain. An absolute gentleman and brilliant company to sail with. Seem to remember, with regard to the rescue, that he had a bo**oking as the people that were rescued were difficult to find a country to land them in.After around thirty years sailing worldwide he was one of the best I have had the pleasure of sailing with.

LouisB
Old 8th November 2018, 10:13

Quote:
Hi Brian,
Good to see you are still about and going strong. Me too, Tennants must have been a magic elixar. Just getting ready fly to New Zealand tomorrow to visit Kiwi (Dick Kearsley) he has been over a few times so we thought it was time we went there. John Seffen I remember well, good engineer when he wanted to be.
Keep well and speak to you when we are back early December.
Albie
Have a nice time over there Albie and pass on my regards to Dick Kearsley & his wife, didn't sail with him but met him at the last re union
we had with Sludge Phillips (Elvis) as the main entertainment.
Old 24th December 2018, 12:26
Active: 1977 - 1983

Seasons Greetings

Merry Christmas to all Ex KSC & UASC staff - I don't think there were many who left of their own free will.

It seems hard to believe that it was 40 years ago today that I was on the good ship Ibn Qutaibah preparing the engine to leave the hospitality of Kelly at the China Bar (later Club) in Keelung for the voyage to Fifi at the Kings Bar in Kaoshiung. (Don't worry - my wife knew them both)
Departed 9pm Christmas Eve so with the 8 hours difference exactly 40 years.

Spent Christmas Day at sea - I remember a Japanese made Sponge and Whipped Cream, Christmas Cake - looked the part but was just not right.
We had a lucky dip barrel where everyone put in something - I think I may have put in a pair of white knee-length socks (new) and managed to draw the star prize - forget who the Captain was but he had put in the Satsuma Ware Ginger Jar that had been given to him by the Japanese Agents. It still sits in my Mothers display cabinet to this day.

Docked in Kaoshiung late on Boxing day and got ashore for the night - US Navy personnel everywhere.

This was most likely the first Christmas I was away from home, although I had worked shifts before going to Sea - did I miss my family? - Nah!

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year
Old 24th December 2018, 14:12
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1973 - 1983

Happy Xmas to all ex KSC and UASC shipmates. A long time ago but never to be forgotten. The end of an era.
Old 24th December 2018, 16:50

Happy Christmas and a Good New Year 2019.
Old 24th December 2018, 22:10

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsplitter View Post
Happy Xmas to all ex KSC and UASC shipmates. A long time ago but never to be forgotten. The end of an era.
Likewise Happy Christmas to all whoever and wherever you are.
Old 25th April 2019, 23:33

I joined Almubarakiah in March 1968 as Extra 3rd Mate in Kuwait and also sailed on Alrumaithiah. My first old man was Capt.George Murdoch. Went ashore in Kuwait to work for KSA and later KSC and UASC till 1990. Guess who?
Old 26th April 2019, 06:15

Well you're not Peter Porter or Rupert. A man of mystery.
Old 17th May 2019, 07:15

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by foremast View Post
I joined Almubarakiah in March 1968 as Extra 3rd Mate in Kuwait and also sailed on Alrumaithiah. My first old man was Capt.George Murdoch. Went ashore in Kuwait to work for KSA and later KSC and UASC till 1990. Guess who?
Well Foremast that's four of us in touch from the trip on the Mubarakiah 68/69 (Kiwi, Scattercash, you and me) must be a record there! Wonder if there is anybody else around from that trip. I remember arun ashore up the River Incomati when we called into LM for Chrome Ore for Birkenhead and I still have a piece of it on my desk as a paperweight.
Old 17th May 2019, 11:30
Active: 1963 - 1990

My location
Hi Foremast,
51 years is a long time ago but we had some great times on that ship,Albie told me that he had been in touch with you, but will not let the cat out of the bag by revealing your name just to see if some of the young one's can figure it out.
Kiwi
Old 17th May 2019, 13:59

Hi Kiwi...great to hear from you..hope all is well. Yeah I remember that trip to LM and the river trip being chased by a hippo!! I remember the electrician Morris who sadly passed away but lived more ashore than on the ship in LM.! BEST WISHES..Abe
Old 19th May 2019, 17:51

My location
Hi Foremast,
The River Incomati trip I remember it well, I was at the back of the canoe nearest the teeth when the hippo surfaced when the locals on the oars saw it they went to "double ring ahead" pronto. I have dined out on that story a few times!
Albie
Old 19th May 2019, 19:29

Hi Albie.. yeah..didn't know they could swim so fast!! Getting warmer here in Montreal at last and looking forward to a great summer. If you could make it here..there is free accommodation for 10 people!! Abe Rahman.