Cadets from the Past - Ships Nostalgia
13:30

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cadets from the Past

User Tag List

Old 4th May 2019, 15:51
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2009

Cadets from the Past

Ploughing through some old "All Hands" magazines from the then School of Navigation at Warsash (Southampton), I came across the following folk:

MAR Course No10 (1965/1966), Ben Line Cadets - A.H Glen, D Keillor and I. Stalker.

Also in 1965 a B. M. Collins left Warsash pre-sea and joined Ben Line as a cadet.

The three MAR cadets were the first and last Ben Line cadets to do MAR at Warsash as the company felt a 6 month course was too long. After that 'King Teds' in London was used (and maybe South Shields) as the course was only 3 months. I was a pre-sea cadet at Warsash at the same time the above three were there and speaking to them only enhanced my determination to join Ben Line (I left pre-sea in April 1966 and joined Benvalla). Dave Keillor and I served together on Benavon and then many many years later we both ended up working in VTS at the Forth Navigation Service!

Does anyone remember any of these blokes and what became of them?

Other names that come to mind from that era - Jim Lough, Dave Cruikshanks, Jimmy Angangg, Paul Yuill, Alan Hards and Ian Godber. Lots more whose names I don't recall!
Old 10th May 2019, 01:26
Active: 1965 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waighty View Post
Ploughing through some old "All Hands" magazines from the then School of Navigation at Warsash (Southampton), I came across the following folk:

MAR Course No10 (1965/1966), Ben Line Cadets - A.H Glen, D Keillor and I. Stalker.

Also in 1965 a B. M. Collins left Warsash pre-sea and joined Ben Line as a cadet.

The three MAR cadets were the first and last Ben Line cadets to do MAR at Warsash as the company felt a 6 month course was too long. After that 'King Teds' in London was used (and maybe South Shields) as the course was only 3 months. I was a pre-sea cadet at Warsash at the same time the above three were there and speaking to them only enhanced my determination to join Ben Line (I left pre-sea in April 1966 and joined Benvalla). Dave Keillor and I served together on Benavon and then many many years later we both ended up working in VTS at the Forth Navigation Service!

Other names that come to mind from that era - Jim Lough, Dave Cruikshanks, Jimmy Angangg, Paul Yuill, Alan Hards and Ian Godber. Lots more whose names I don't recall!
I was in Singapore about 5 or 6 years ago and someone, a Malaysian surveyor I think, told me that Jimmy Anggang had passed away. He had been a Director of Marine in Sarawak.
I last saw Ian Godber in Hong Kong when I was working for China Navigation and he was on the HK-East Australia run with Jardine Mathieson. Around '70 or '71.
Old 10th May 2019, 15:13

Hello Capnbobnz. Thanks for news regarding Jimmy Anggang. I was junior cadet with him on Benvannoch (the ex Silver Line and Port Line one) for a couple of trips and he was a good shipmate, great character and obviously destined for a "high heidyin" job after leaving the sea, shame he's crossed the bar.

I knew Ian Godber from my late teenage schooldays in Hong Kong. He was at the HK Gov't school (King George V) as his father was in the HK Police (and left under a cloud I believe). I was at the British Forces school (St Georges) as my father was army. When I joined my first ship, Benvalla, Ian was just leaving it - small world; I had no idea he had even gone to sea. China Nav of course took over what was left of Bank Line's South Pacific services - I was with Bank Line for a number of years.

Last edited by Waighty; 10th May 2019 at 15:14.. Reason: amending text
Old 10th May 2019, 22:46

Quote:

Good day Waighty,
I never actually sailed with Ian Godber just met him ship visiting around the coast I think.
There was another Ben Line cadet from King George V at that time, Keith Parks, I did MAR with him at King Teds.
Then many years later I was Master of an ex supply boat doing Fishery Protection work around Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean, where my liason with the British Forces there, a Royal Marine Major was the son of an ex Ben Line man named Smith who had gone ashore in the Hong Kong police force. Never got his father's fist name.
The son had also gone King George V school.
Old 12th May 2019, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnbobnz View Post
Good day Waighty,
I never actually sailed with Ian Godber just met him ship visiting around the coast I think.
There was another Ben Line cadet from King George V at that time, Keith Parks, I did MAR with him at King Teds.
Then many years later I was Master of an ex supply boat doing Fishery Protection work around Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean, where my liason with the British Forces there, a Royal Marine Major was the son of an ex Ben Line man named Smith who had gone ashore in the Hong Kong police force. Never got his father's fist name.
The son had also gone King George V school.
Hello Capnbobnz, it's strange how these various twists and turns of life turn up years later and have connections; the KGV school for one. I've heard of the name Keith Parks but don't believe I ever met him. I did MAR at King Teds in the summer of 1968, well beyond my 'mid' cadetship; the next year I was back at college down the road from King Teds doing 2nd mates at what was then called the Mariner's Hotel but actually converted to be a live-in college - still part of King Teds though. It moved up to the new college at Tower Hill in 1970. That purpose built college is gone now as well, demolished a couple of years back and replaced by some sort of apartment hotel.
Old 14th May 2019, 09:39
Department: Engineering
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
There was a Jimmy Lough that was a superintendent with CNCo, don't know if it was the same man, I believe he has crossed The Bar.

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 16th May 2019, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan112 View Post
There was a Jimmy Lough that was a superintendent with CNCo, don't know if it was the same man, I believe he has crossed The Bar.
Hello Duncan112 and thanks for contributing. The Jimmy Lough I knew came from Eyemouth and after cadetship came ashore and worked for Texaco in their chartering dept in Knightsbridge, London. A few years later he went back to Eyemouth and got a job as AB, then Bos'n (or whatever those equated to in the 1980s) with Seaforth on the North Sea vessels. Last I heard (1986) he'd settled in Dundee with wife number 3 or 4! since then silence. Maybe not the same man?
Old 17th May 2019, 01:56
James_C James_C is online now   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator
Department: Navigation

My location
Didn't Paul Yuill end up with Bank Line? I'm sure I remember hearing the name.

Jim
Old 18th May 2019, 05:53

Quote:
Hello Duncan112 and thanks for contributing. The Jimmy Lough I knew came from Eyemouth and after cadetship came ashore and worked for Texaco in their chartering dept in Knightsbridge, London. A few years later he went back to Eyemouth and got a job as AB, then Bos'n (or whatever those equated to in the 1980s) with Seaforth on the North Sea vessels. Last I heard (1986) he'd settled in Dundee with wife number 3 or 4! since then silence. Maybe not the same man?
Not the same man. Jimmy Lough in China Nav was in his 40's I would say in 1970 when I first met him. I'm pretty sure he was ex Salvesen's or Bank Line.In the 1970's he was the Nautical Super for China Nav and retired at 55 early eighties I would think.
Old 18th May 2019, 11:11
Active: 1954 - 1967

Benmhor Cadets 1962: Ian Henderson, Colin McLean and George Marriott.

Tommy Barr was Master.

Keith
Old 19th May 2019, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_C View Post
Didn't Paul Yuill end up with Bank Line? I'm sure I remember hearing the name.
Paul Yuill (He spelled it Yull) and I were cadets together on Benvannoch in 1967/8 (he joined after Jimmy Anggang left) and we met up many times while on leave to 'paint the town red'! He subsequently joined MacAndrews as uncert 3rd Mate and from that moved to Bank Line also as uncert 3rd Mate, although I had no idea he had moved to Bank Line until many years later when I saw a photo on SN of him and others on Weirbank. No idea what he did after that trip. An apt description of him would be 'chancer'. Great fun to be with but clearly was not going to go far in the MN.

Last edited by Waighty; 19th May 2019 at 13:45..
Old 19th May 2019, 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnbobnz View Post
Not the same man. Jimmy Lough in China Nav was in his 40's I would say in 1970 when I first met him. I'm pretty sure he was ex Salvesen's or Bank Line.In the 1970's he was the Nautical Super for China Nav and retired at 55 early eighties I would think.
Makes you wonder how many Jimmy Loughs there were in the Merch!
Old 24th May 2019, 12:54
Active: 1964 - 2007

cadets from the Past in Ben Line.

HI Waighty and Bob,
having been off line for a wee while and in the states for nearly a month I have not been up to date with what you have all ben saying.
Waighty ,I didn't know you were from HK and that you you knew Ian Godber ,did you know my relations there Maxwells they lived at Kings Park Rise Wylie Gardens. it was Jane and her older brother James , Ian knew them . I sailed with Ian when he joined the Valla. ,
Bob i sent you a private message saying I could not remember you then about half an hour later it clicked we were together at MAR at KIng Ted with Ian Parkes and Brian Smith from Shetland, also a lad from Jersey called Peter Brown (nickname Peanuts)I think he was with Cayzer Irvine , we celebrated his 19 birthday at Prospect of Whitby .

It all comes flooding back and got scalded in galley/pantry of the Glen Strathallen while at anchor off south end.and was taken up river by PLA surgeons Port Health launch to North Kent for treatment to ankle burns . Hope you are all well,will catch up soon. rgds Ian
Old 24th May 2019, 15:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian keyl View Post
HI Waighty and Bob,
having been off line for a wee while and in the states for nearly a month I have not been up to date with what you have all ben saying.
Waighty ,I didn't know you were from HK and that you you knew Ian Godber ,did you know my relations there Maxwells they lived at Kings Park Rise Wylie Gardens. it was Jane and her older brother James , Ian knew them . I sailed with Ian when he joined the Valla. ,
Bob i sent you a private message saying I could not remember you then about half an hour later it clicked we were together at MAR at KIng Ted with Ian Parkes and Brian Smith from Shetland, also a lad from Jersey called Peter Brown (nickname Peanuts)I think he was with Cayzer Irvine , we celebrated his 19 birthday at Prospect of Whitby .

It all comes flooding back and got scalded in galley/pantry of the Glen Strathallen while at anchor off south end.and was taken up river by PLA surgeons Port Health launch to North Kent for treatment to ankle burns . Hope you are all well,will catch up soon. rgds Ian
Hi Ian,

Although I was from HK when I went to sea, by the time I'd finished my first trip, my folks were back in the UK! I'm afraid I didn't know the Maxwells though. I lived in Kowloon Tsai a bit north of Kings Park Rise.

I was on MAR with Jimmy Lough, Davie Cruikshank and Alan Hards from Ben Line plus a load of other reprobates from B&C and NZS - happy days. Your accident on Glen Strathallen sounded horrible. Apart from trapping myself in an unravelling 'Spanish Windlass' as a 3rd mate I managed to stay fairly accident free!
Old 26th May 2019, 08:30

I was with Ian Godber,at South Shields,doing MAR,January to April 1968. Next time I saw him was on the news.Something involving him,and his Father,who was chief of Hong Kong police at the time. 1970's/80's,I think.
Old 5th June 2019, 09:27

My thoughts on cadets I sailed with in Ben Line, are;
David Kite(maybe Kyte) from Chingford nick name Ginger because of his curly hair and freckles. sailed with him on Valla for year and Ian Godber.
John Ferguson sailed on Wyvis from Dollar great bloke and good fun .
Pete Smith from London tall lanky guy great fun was on Valla .
Phil ----- also from London area his father had something to do with River Thames ,tugs ,Pilot ,barges!
Les Morrison from Edinburgh, ??
Keith Parkes also from HK and Ginger Hair.??
Brian Smith from Shetland , good guy plenty of fun .

The following would have been cadets earlier but were early third mates.
Willie Vangezzel Dutch and Malaysian parents spent time in Holland and out east,
Alf Bodie Big Alf also had some Dutch connection.
Jimmy Anggang from Jesselton father worked for PWD and he was from the Dyak Tribe of Borneo and were original head hunters. Hard as nuts but good fun could give reasonable hair cut if needed.
Peter Annelie from Leith great guy good fun.
Jim Taylor from Edinburgh.
Kenny Campbell from the west coast but lived in Edinburgh and worked with me in Edinburgh HQ. Good lad and fun never take on a drinking challenge.
I cannot think opf any moor at moment
Old 5th June 2019, 20:43

Quote:
My thoughts on cadets I sailed with in Ben Line, are;
David Kite(maybe Kyte) from Chingford nick name Ginger because of his curly hair and freckles. sailed with him on Valla for year and Ian Godber.
John Ferguson sailed on Wyvis from Dollar great bloke and good fun .
Pete Smith from London tall lanky guy great fun was on Valla .
Phil ----- also from London area his father had something to do with River Thames ,tugs ,Pilot ,barges!
Les Morrison from Edinburgh, ??
Keith Parkes also from HK and Ginger Hair.??
Brian Smith from Shetland , good guy plenty of fun .

The following would have been cadets earlier but were early third mates.
Willie Vangezzel Dutch and Malaysian parents spent time in Holland and out east,
Alf Bodie Big Alf also had some Dutch connection.
Jimmy Anggang from Jesselton father worked for PWD and he was from the Dyak Tribe of Borneo and were original head hunters. Hard as nuts but good fun could give reasonable hair cut if needed.
Peter Annelie from Leith great guy good fun.
Jim Taylor from Edinburgh.
Kenny Campbell from the west coast but lived in Edinburgh and worked with me in Edinburgh HQ. Good lad and fun never take on a drinking challenge.
I cannot think opf any moor at moment
Hello Ian,
Bob Goodwin here, long time no see !
I live in the Bay of Islands, New Zealand now.
After Ben Line I joined China Nav for 10 years, then spent the rest of my career offshore mostly with Swire Pacific offshore.
I met up with Alf Bodie when I was mate on a small containership the Papuan Chief, in Rabaul PNG, when he was taking over as manager of Rabaul Stevedores.
Jim Taylor also joined China Nav. and I met him over the years, the last time was in the Bass Strait we were putting a semi sub on location. He lives in Australia.
When I was on the Benstac I sailed with Dougie Macrae and Tommy Veitch, the other two cadets.
I met up with Tommy Veitch many years later when he was a harbour pilot in Tauranga NZ.
I've always wondered where Dougie Macrae ended up.

See ya,
Bob.
Old 6th June 2019, 16:46

Somewhere in the deep recess of the old grey matter is a tale I heard about Dave Kite. Scene, the Cooper's Arms, Salmon Lane off Commercial Road circa mid to late 1960s. A competition (after many pints) to see who could get through an old car tyre (why?). Story has it that Dave Kite got wedged with legs and arms sticking out one way and rear end (to be polite about it) sticking out the other side. Much hilarity all round although I imagine Mr Kite was non too impressed with events.

Changing subject - John Groat was another name from that era. In 2004 I met up with him along with colleagues from Forth Ports in Edinburgh for farewell drinks at Sandy Bells before I left for Taunton for my last job to work at the Hydrographic Office for five years. Memory's a bit hazy on who else was there!
Old 6th June 2019, 20:12

Hi Weighty,
Yes knew Taff John Groat and his fiddle and rollie me own cigs that cost more on lighter fuel than backie. Taff spent a lot of time in and around Edinburgh including the Purple onion playing his fiddle while up for his ticket. The First time I met him he was cadet on the old Cruachan in Bangkok and it happens he was with the cadet from London Pete Smith. she was alongside at Klong Toey and tide was out and she was below the quay wall may have even been siting on the bottom . you had to walk down the gangway or jump onto fore deck from the quay no HSE ****. Taff was a good Orkadian.
Old 6th June 2019, 20:21

Weighty, Regarding Dave or Ginger Kite , he was a good lad and clever but hated washing his work gear, he had a galv rebuke in the shower with about three pairs of jeans stuffed init and possibly half a packet of OMO . outward bound after the coast it ws smelling and he had left it in the corner of one of the three showers , i said to him get them out on the floor of the shower and do some treading of the grapes put them through the rough weather handle and twist them till you get all the **** and water out , repeat this and then cub with a scrubbing brush. they actually looked like oilskins thick with grease.
I then said if you cant be bothered get a heaving line put it trough each leg and heave them over the stern into the wash but remember to tie the line to the rail. that is what he did next am from dark denim to light blue and a wee bit shrunk . Ginger had found a new friend , the sea was like his mum it did his washing.
I do wish someone knew where he was , I have done the usual like most of us do on the net searching for folk.
Old 6th June 2019, 20:51

CapnbobNZ,
now then my man how are you doing long way from the Stack of Bricks and Coopers Arms or the Prospect Of Whitby.
how the hell did they let you into NZ i would have thought you would have been first refugee they would turn back. . No doubt like all the guys in Blue Star , Port Line **** Shovel, Federal lines ,yea you met this lovely New Zealand girl her father had a big sheep farm and you fell for her .
Well Bob you seem to have done well and well done , it is great to see all your old mates from Ben Line having done well around the various parts of the world.
I am hoping to have a meeting g with John Ferguson ex master Fast Stena Catamaran Irish sea and Alex Burns who is over here from Perth OZ, JF lives in Ayr and Alex is in Renfrew , he worked for Waverley Off Shore.
Ben Line has as you may know no vessels or rigs but is know the biggest ships agency and port agent in the Far East with 150 offices.
Dougie Macrae is living in Canada and is a retired Fireman , I have been in correspondence with him a few times on this site , I cannot remember how Dougie ended up in Canada or even how he became a fireman. I want bore you with my arras as you have probably read them on this site. keep the stories coming Bob if ever over hear give us a bell keep her steady as she goes ,best regards Ian.
Old 6th June 2019, 21:48

Quote:
CapnbobNZ,
now then my man how are you doing long way from the Stack of Bricks and Coopers Arms or the Prospect Of Whitby.
how the hell did they let you into NZ i would have thought you would have been first refugee they would turn back. . No doubt like all the guys in Blue Star , Port Line **** Shovel, Federal lines ,yea you met this lovely New Zealand girl her father had a big sheep farm and you fell for her .
Well Bob you seem to have done well and well done , it is great to see all your old mates from Ben Line having done well around the various parts of the world.
I am hoping to have a meeting g with John Ferguson ex master Fast Stena Catamaran Irish sea and Alex Burns who is over here from Perth OZ, JF lives in Ayr and Alex is in Renfrew , he worked for Waverley Off Shore.
Ben Line has as you may know no vessels or rigs but is know the biggest ships agency and port agent in the Far East with 150 offices.
Dougie Macrae is living in Canada and is a retired Fireman , I have been in correspondence with him a few times on this site , I cannot remember how Dougie ended up in Canada or even how he became a fireman. I want bore you with my arras as you have probably read them on this site. keep the stories coming Bob if ever over hear give us a bell keep her steady as she goes ,best regards Ian.
Great to hear from you Ian,
I never actually got married, close a couple of times but decided it wasn't for me. Did Mates and Masters in Auckland and that's how I got to stay.
When I worked offshore in Australia I saw Alex Burns a few times and also met up with him in the UK.
Talking of Ben Line Agencies, I was getting ready to tow a constuction barge from Batam in Indonesia to Fremantle a few years ago and Ben Line were the agents. I said to the young runner with the Ben Line flag prominent on his jacket that "I used to work for that company",
He looked at me quizzically and said " You are Muslim"?.
You do despair sometimes.
Regards
Bob.
Old 6th June 2019, 22:01

Bob, well there you go , never been to NZ but we have on our bucket list along with OZ , talking of Ben . Mr William is still in charge but is getting ready to step down and retire. The holding company is E G Thomson his uncles original company and Williams son you Ted was there in Spore for some years but has moved on and is working in Oxford somewhere. Some of the old Ben/ BLC directors are still there out east on the board.
John Atkinson has taken over from Archie Watters who has retired from being the archivist looking after masters Chiefs and the rest of senior staff. I haven’t heard from him for a while re those who have passed on . The Last Ben down NZ way was the Reoch drilling for gas I think , she was the biggest structure to go down through the suez piggy back and longest trip . Have you any photos to post ?? Speak later all best Ian .
Old 7th June 2019, 14:13

Quote:
Weighty, Regarding Dave or Ginger Kite , he was a good lad and clever but hated washing his work gear, he had a galv rebuke in the shower with about three pairs of jeans stuffed init and possibly half a packet of OMO . outward bound after the coast it ws smelling and he had left it in the corner of one of the three showers , i said to him get them out on the floor of the shower and do some treading of the grapes put them through the rough weather handle and twist them till you get all the **** and water out , repeat this and then cub with a scrubbing brush. they actually looked like oilskins thick with grease.
I then said if you cant be bothered get a heaving line put it trough each leg and heave them over the stern into the wash but remember to tie the line to the rail. that is what he did next am from dark denim to light blue and a wee bit shrunk . Ginger had found a new friend , the sea was like his mum it did his washing.
I do wish someone knew where he was , I have done the usual like most of us do on the net searching for folk.
I recall a version of the heaving line trick when in Bank Line. A similar sort of tale of a cadet on Marabank circa 1971 with no interest in washing working gear, leaving it in big sink with water and dhobi powder until the odour was rank. 3rd Engr told him about the line trick, so he threaded the gear through with an old log line and over the stern it went! 3/E told him to leave it overnight. Next morning he pulled in the line and on the end there were a few pieces of material but no full set of clean gear. He was forced to buy some in Aus.

In 1983 I joined the RMAS and one of the ABs I worked with was Alistair Fraser who had been a Ben Line cadet and when he got 2nd Mates they made him redundant. Worked his way up to marine sup't at head office until head hunted by Alexander Towing and thence to Aus with Adstream and Svitzer where he was top man in Western Australia with trips to Singapore where he met often with whichever one of Thomsons ran Ben Line Agencies- small world!
Old 8th June 2019, 11:06

capnbobnz,
Bob do you remember Peanuts at the stack of bricks when we were there on MAR, his name was Pete Brown from St Hellier his parents owned a hotel there, we went one night to the Prospect of Whitby for his birthday and we all got pissed and the thing in those days was to debag and rip up there jockeys , this we did and he wore the "Y2 front and crutch as a scull cap .
well on way back to Stack of Bricks he had nothing to wear so I always carried a rolled up plastic mack in my back pocket so Peanuts wore that on the bus back down Commercial road but he was hanging on to the post on the long bench seat by the door and everyone was making comments that they could see thru the raincoat. jealous sods. I think Peanuts was a Cayzire Irvine cadet . I did have a photo of all of us standing on the back wall inside the pub with peanuts wearing his scull cap and ripped to shreads jeans.
I have over the years moved my times and my dad looked after all my cine films and photos but alas he died and my stepmother thru them all out including his war photo albums tragic but i have nothing to post or show anyone.
I had a realy good cine of bad weather in Japan sea and also on Valla up the signal mast going through the suez canal panning from ford to aft . i nearly got gazed from fumes blowing ford at slow speed from the funnel . All in a days work.