Bankline 2018 - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
05:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Bankline 2018

User Tag List

Old 20th January 2018, 16:12
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURANGO View Post
Keith those are derrick's I take it, they look like box girders or have I got that wrong thanks for posting the picture best regards Dave .
Those box girders were indeed derricks ,we had them on the Clydebank and we never broke 1,
Old 20th January 2018, 16:18
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianian View Post
I have been laughing Alan , you must have been a masochist the way you were talking about the old vessels, I can't really believe you look back on that with nostalgia.
No running water cockroaches,no radar, max 10 knots, yet after 2 years on the Clydebank I like Alan look back with nostalgia, I think that she was built in 1924,
Old 20th January 2018, 16:20
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianian View Post
I have been laughing Alan , you must have been a masochist the way you were talking about the old vessels, I can't really believe you look back on that with nostalgia.
I did suspect it! Maybe we just remember the good bits, although it was a challenge to overcome and enjoy.
Old 20th January 2018, 16:31
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1969

Thanks for that Jim, I was 5 months as a boy of just 15 aboard HMS Worcester back in 1957 no luxuries there freezing cold every thing I ever did that was miserable in my life I always seemed to do in the winter ,but I would not have missed it for the world spent most of my time in her washing up pots and pans peeling spuds and if I never had anything to do I had to go below and help the old donkey man feed the donkey boiler the longest 5 months of my life , I left her in April 58 I did a round the world voyage only 4 1/2 months got back to the UK I was still not 16 when I paid off , no chance of doing anything like that today for me it paid not telling the truth about my age regards to all hands Dave .

Last edited by DURANGO; 20th January 2018 at 16:34..
Old 20th January 2018, 19:02
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1954 - 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthehat View Post
No running water cockroaches,no radar, max 10 knots, yet after 2 years on the Clydebank I like Alan look back with nostalgia, I think that she was built in 1924,
Hello Jim - re Clydebank - also, for many of us, not even a fan in cabin, and the 2-apps, R/O and Radio room right above the engineroom could certainly get hot! However, we had some good times - and survived!!
Mike.
Old 21st November 2018, 15:22
Department: Engineering

Reading the above threads brings back many happy memories, tales of old ships and the good the bad and the ugly of shipmates, Bank Line for me was in many ways the best company I ever worked for, I spent nigh on 6 years with the RFA and believe me there were horror stories to be told, from the alki Masters and Chiefs to the clapped out old freighting tankers, not to mention the complete lack of promotion prospects, there were some good times but when I finally saw the light in 73 and resigned, I headed for Bank Line as I wanted general cargo and tramping, plus I loved long trips.
Bank Line were very good to me I joined as 3E and was promoted to 2E within a month and I was Chief within 3 months of gaining my Chiefs ticket, yes there was the odd hiccup, Jack Merril for one, but I have to say I loved virtually every day of it.
We have all been very lucky, I saw the last of the bad old days and then the good times of good pay and decent leave before it all came to a sad end in the late eighties.
Keep well all and may the good times and the force be with you.

Last edited by Ian Coupe; 21st November 2018 at 15:24.. Reason: Clarity
Old 14th June 2019, 12:20
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
As a sparks and therefore not really a Bank Line man, I nevertheless did two trips on Bank Boats. A 13 monther on the Weybank, (it should have been 15 months back then, but we hit Liverpool so they must have figured now's the time to change the crowd, it'll cost less.)
And the Weirbank just relieving while she coasted the UK.
All this is back in the 70's when I worked (on and off) for Marconi.
Hi Bob
Just noticed this old post and wanted to mention that there is an amusing account of a Sparkies voyage on the Weybank ( circa 1968) with interesting pictures and paintings. They are on my site banklineonline.com or directly on http://junglecat.de/photos/index.html

Cheers/Alan

Last edited by Alan Rawlinson; 14th June 2019 at 12:24..