Farewell to Topsails (1937) - Ships Nostalgia
07:28

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Farewell to Topsails (1937)

User Tag List

Old 23rd July 2019, 20:57
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 2005

Farewell to Topsails (1937)

I saw this today on Talking Pictures T.V. CH.81 U.K.
Farewell to Topsails (1937) and thanks to Youtube you can see it on the Net.

The vessels mentioned Katie, Mary Barrow & Alert are covered in some detail in the publication Coastwise Sail by John Anderson (1948) which can still be bought on the Internet at moderate cost and well worth a read.
Old 23rd July 2019, 21:28

Thanks very much. Very enjoyable. I particularly enjoyed the working of the pump action windlass aboard the Katie. There is a well illustrated article on the Katie in "Westcountry Sail" by Michael Bouquet, who sailed as a deckhand aboard her.

Last edited by stein; 23rd July 2019 at 21:31..
Old 23rd July 2019, 22:03

BRILLIANT!!!!! I believe the WATERWICH was the last of them.

I've been down to the clay loaders. Lovely place to visit. I can feel a good painting coming!

Stephen
Old 23rd July 2019, 22:24
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1964

Great video.
Just looking up at a print of a painting of the sail training topsail schooners, Sir Winston Churchill and Malcolm Miller in which I sailed as volunteer crew. Recollect our captain short tacking MM up a narrow waterway with the keel sometimes touching on the go-about. One was impressed. (Should have inserted 'kin before impressed). Aahh.

I do have a feeling that we may end up back there one day - I hope not but . . . . .
Old 24th July 2019, 16:48

A joy to watch thanks for showing such a wonderful film on the top sail history,the film was made a year before I was born and the quality was excellent .On the China clay side I was on the Anglian mid fifties and we loaded China clay for Genoa in Fowey a great little port ,when we were there we met up with the crew of an Air Sea Rescue vessel what a bunch of charecters I recon they had cornered the lobster market as that was a sideline they used the launch for ,good pubs there as well,the only downside was if it had rained the quay was like a skating ring.
Old 25th July 2019, 22:17

Thanks for posting this, Bill, it was great to watch.I think the sails of the "Katie" told just how tough this trade was for a sailing vessel when the film was made, like patchwork quilts.......

Last edited by Steve Hodges; 25th July 2019 at 22:19.. Reason: wrong accreditation
Old 26th July 2019, 07:53
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
A very nice video Bill, Thanks for posting it.

Frank