On-Line Errors - Ships Nostalgia
05:21

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

On-Line Errors

User Tag List

Old 14th August 2019, 12:14

On-Line Errors

I was browsing as usual when I came across a web site which claimed that the braid used in Union Castle - with a curl - was authorised in recognition of losses in world war II. This is a load of rubbish, the braid was that used by Clan Line and when they took over Union Castle was made to change over. Nothing to do with world war II.

How do people come to such conclusions? Do they just make them up?

Such errors even extend to TV.

HMS Calypso was the subject of a TV show. It was stated she was set on fire at Little Burnt Bay, Newfoundland in 1968. I saw her afloat in the harbour at Lewisporte in 1970, thinking back I think she was being used to store salt as late as 1972. Does nobody check?
Old 16th August 2019, 10:07

clan line - union castle line

Quote:
Originally Posted by double acting View Post
I was browsing as usual when I came across a web site which claimed that the braid used in Union Castle - with a curl - was authorised in recognition of losses in world war II. This is a load of rubbish, the braid was that used by Clan Line and when they took over Union Castle was made to change over. Nothing to do with world war II.

How do people come to such conclusions? Do they just make them up?

Such errors even extend to TV.

HMS Calypso was the subject of a TV show. It was stated she was set on fire at Little Burnt Bay, Newfoundland in 1968. I saw her afloat in the harbour at Lewisporte in 1970, thinking back I think she was being used to store salt as late as 1972. Does nobody check?
firstly thank you for the comment - my question - which union castle web site are you referring to ? i ask as i have studied the history of union steamship co since its inception in 1853 thru to the union castle line - which roughly speaking ended its unique history in 1977 - which concludes they were around for 125 odd years - whereas the clan line was around since its inception in 1877 and was finally incorporated into the cayzer irvine in 1907 ? i do not dispute that union castle was incorporated into clan - roughly 1950's ? - which would have included the ucl - it is just i would like to do more research for my own interest - my reference source has been amongst others - union castle chronicles - marschall murray - the union castle line fleet history - peter newell - amongst the numerous other articles and literature i have amassed over 50 odd years - attached images are for reference purposes and not for confirmation against the post - thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg british coomonwealth.jpg (187.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg union castle line.jpg (77.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: png rn curl ....png (8.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 16th August 2019, 16:11

I'm sorry I can not remember the web site and as I've just got a new computer I can not even look up my "history". I may be wrong, and if so I apologise in advance, but I think the surname of whoever made the entry was named Gascoine.

As regards the date, Clan & Union Castle merged in 1955 to form British & Commonwealth, when the braid was changed I don't know either
Old 16th August 2019, 23:16

thank you for the feedback
Old 17th August 2019, 09:11
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1980

My location
B&C formally came into existence on January 31st 1956
The changed to Clan Line insignia was brought in gradually and was generally done as each officer was promoted or joined the new group.
The history of the Clan Line insignia can be found here:
The Evolution of the Clan Line Uniform

It is absolutely correct that Clan Line braid had NOTHING to do with war service. That braid was being used by Clan Line officers in the 19th century.

Last edited by Chris Isaac; 17th August 2019 at 09:16..
Old 17th August 2019, 14:01

There is a problem with internet sites. Many people upload items which they believe to be correct, without much fact checking. That then is quoted by others, then the error, over time, is taken as fact.

I have had instances where I have attempted to correct items on websites with documented proof but to little or no avail. So once again the errors remain. People often believe that if it's on the web it must be right ! Had one website where a person told a story in a posting and months later told the same story but in the second version he contradicted the first.

Last edited by BillH; 17th August 2019 at 14:04..