BP Culinary Triumphs - Ships Nostalgia
23:45

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

BP Culinary Triumphs

User Tag List

Old 4th December 2006, 07:48

Question BP Culinary Triumphs

There's a thread running on the Brocklebank forum titled "spam fritters". It then goes on to list some "universal" ? MN dishes.

My abiding memory is the "cheese beano", what about the rest of you? We managed bacon for breakfast every day during my time (1970 - 86) but I believe curry and kedgeree featured on the breakfast menu not long before that.

Food's generally pretty good on the offshore vessels I go to these days, but obviously a bit limited by local supplies - I don't think there's too much choice in the Luanda branch of Asda!
Old 4th December 2006, 08:39

Geoff,
The curry or kedgeree options for breakfast were regularly served up on Indian crewed BP tankers. In fact they were also an option for lunch & dinner if I remember correctly.
Kind regards,
John.
Old 4th December 2006, 09:20

John,
The curry lunch was still a standard until I left the tankers in '82 to go into the N. Sea ships. I spent the majority of my time on Indian-crewed ships and my wife still has fond memories of them from the five years she spent sailing with me.
It's always been a point of humorous debate in our house as to whether we should have a "proper" Sunday lunch, chicken curry, (and beer of course) or something ethnic like roast beef!
Old 4th December 2006, 13:07
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1985

My location
Geoff

I well recall the "ham and cheese beano"-- I referred to it in an earlier thread re MN food which ran for weeks and dozens of replies-- it may be of interest to you! Mouth watering (or not,as the case may be......)
Old 4th December 2006, 16:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_F View Post
Geoff,
The curry or kedgeree options for breakfast were regularly served up on Indian crewed BP tankers. In fact they were also an option for lunch & dinner if I remember correctly.
Kind regards,
John.
Greetings John. Curry was regular breakfast fare on the "Reliance" in the 50's with a white crew from Falmouth, Dam good too!!
Old 4th December 2006, 18:41
James_C James_C is online now   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator

My location
Geoff,
You remember a Cat Off by the name of Dave Fothergill? Only retired the other year. That man must have made the best tabnabs in the fleet, always a joy to have him onboard as the standard of food went right up.
That was, provided the Officers bar kept him topped up with lager.
LOL

Jim
Old 4th December 2006, 19:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_C View Post
Geoff,
You remember a Cat Off by the name of Dave Fothergill? Only retired the other year. That man must have made the best tabnabs in the fleet, always a joy to have him onboard as the standard of food went right up.
That was, provided the Officers bar kept him topped up with lager.
LOL
Hello Jim,
The name doesn't sound totally unfamiliar, but which ship and when I couldn't say. My last tanker was the "Hawthorn" which I left in '82 to go to the "Sulair" in the N. Sea. Not really had anything to do with them since '86 and almost totally lost touch apart from a couple of ex BPTC guys who used to work in the Dyce office.
I think I was lucky, never on a bad feeder, though inevitably some were better than others. "Her indoors" can still turn out a mean cheese beano, if required!!
Old 6th December 2006, 22:52

British Endurance, 1958. We had a Goanese catering staff and the most brilliant breakfast I ever tasted was curried sardines! I've tried hundreds of times to replicate it at home, but without success!
Old 7th December 2006, 12:31

I also have very fond memories of the Cheese Beano.

Another dish I liked at the time was kidneys on toast(!)
Unlike the cheese beano, I can't even start to recreate this dish (there was some sort of gravy/sauce involved IIRC).
Any recipes or clues welcome!

Ron
Old 9th December 2006, 11:45

Wink Grocer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorw View Post
British Endurance, 1958. We had a Goanese catering staff and the most brilliant breakfast I ever tasted was curried sardines! I've tried hundreds of times to replicate it at home, but without success!
Hi Trevor.
Sounds like the dish Fresh Sardines Masala.
Try this : (Recipe for 12)
3. Kg Fresh Sardines. 10 grms Ajinimoto, 28 Grms Chilli powder, 28 Grms Tumeric,,28 Grms White Pepper 14. Grms Salt, 2 Fluid Oz Malt Vinegar, 3 Nos Garlic Gloves, ( Finely chopped) 1 Nos Egg.( Beaten)

Wash Sardines and place in a dish with the Salt and Ajinimoto. Mix the chopped Garlic with the remaining dry ingredients and moisten with the vinegar until a smooth past is obtained.
Evenly coat each Sardine with the paste and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes.
Just before cooking mix in the egg.
Lay on an oiled tray and Grill or fry in a pan which contains a little oil.

Norman( Grocer)
Old 9th December 2006, 19:06
KIWI
Department: Engineering
Active: 1949 - 1955

My location
Stanvac Canberra when I joined had a skipper who obviously did not milk the catering budget.Whatever you liked for breakfast including grills,pantry fridge filled with cold cuts cheeses etc for those about at night.Regular meals were more often than not a pleasant surprise.The standard surpassed P&O first class but unfortunately a change of skipper brought drastic changes in the menu. Kiwi
Old 13th December 2006, 21:30
LEFO

Curry /kedgeree

Most ships I sailed on in the fifties in the BTC/BP fleet curry and kedgeree was regular fare on the menu with European crews onboard.Back in those days the fleet never had a very good reputation for feeding,and blame used to be laid at the door of the company.But one of the trips I did, a period of 12 months on the Gulf-Eva Peron run[that dates me] in a T2 with Ken Mitchell from the Whitely Bay area,and the Steward from Belfast was very good.Wether it was the run with nights in Capetown or Durban each way which helped with the quality of stores,or the Master or Chief-steward { no pursers in those days on working ships] were honest men, because I found Ken Mitchell to be one very straight man in manner and speech.Because that was another rumour that used to prevail with regard to the quality of stores which came onboard vessels in the fleet,but I never remained with the company for promotion so I could find out.Also the Master had his wife with him all the time and the main man of the day the Chief-cook was very good,that all helps
Old 15th December 2006, 04:49

What's a beano? Sorry, not to be a good cook!

Split
Old 16th December 2006, 02:02
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1977

So far nobody has mentioned rissoles and that other saviour of leftovers bubble and squeak. These were two favourites on BP menus along with that other stand-by welsh rarebit.
Cheers
Old 16th December 2006, 10:15

How about the Chile Chapatis from the Indian galley after the 12-4 shift, washed down with a few beers?
Old 16th December 2006, 18:02

Ah the good old cheese beano,heaven.What about lamb,lamb and more lamb.Nightmare,can't eat the stuff now
Old 16th December 2006, 20:46

I joined my first ship the British Earl 1960,could't understand why anyone would want to eat Kedgeree or Curry for BREAKFAST!!!
Old 16th December 2006, 21:33

My location
Sailing in tramps in the early 50s nothing went to waste. Redundant lifeboat biscuits (formerly known as Liverpool pantiles in the sailing ship days) were mashed up with salt beef (known as salt junk by our predecessors) and made into a sort of hash served up for high tea at 1700hrs or should I say 2 bells in the first dog being a traditionalist who was deprived of driving a 4 stick Limejuice barqe around the bloody Horn in 1948.
Old 17th December 2006, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split View Post
What's a beano? Sorry, not to be a good cook!
Unless I've accidentally amended it over the years it's (from bottom to top)

Toast
Spam (or Chopped Ham and Pork?)
Beans
Topped off with grilled cheese

Ron
Old 21st January 2007, 21:53
Kevan Weetman

Still eat the cheese beano and agree with RonF, ours was bacon rather than the Spam.

The first ship I joined was the Forth in 1979. The grocer used to run a card school in his cabin and served "Sasparelli" from a large china tea pot. Ingredients being one bottle of Four Bells and one can of lemonade!

"Time for another cup gadget? What was your bet?"
Old 21st January 2007, 23:21

This is the only place I've ever heard 4 Bells mentioned. Why do you not hear of it other then on ships?
Sorry a bit off topic..

Last edited by JoK; 21st January 2007 at 23:23..
Old 22nd January 2007, 00:34

My location
Commonly known as "fira klanger". 4 bells in Scowegian.

I'm sure I saw it in an off licence many years ago. Was it made by Lambs?
Or was it leftover RN issue?
Old 22nd January 2007, 00:54

Used to be under the Whyte & Mackay label, my in-laws bought it on the cross-channel ferries and kept me supplied for may years. I can't remember when I last saw it on the optic in a bar.

My wife acquired the "taste" for 4B when I was Mate and we issued the stuff (It was never for sale in the bond on BP ships I think). I also remember the Serangs and Pumpmen used to appreciate a tot regularly too!
Old 22nd January 2007, 08:16
Active: 1967 - 1981

My location
Four Bells..standard issue after tank-cleaning.
Old 22nd January 2007, 11:35

Or working on deck in the middle of the night in -28*C weather