Pay Rates. Apprentice Engineer - Ships Nostalgia
17:14

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Pay Rates. Apprentice Engineer

User Tag List

Old 25th February 2015, 17:44
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1968

My location
Pay Rates. Apprentice Engineer

Have just been looking at my Indentured Apprenticeship Contract, signed for the company over a 6d stamp by John Heighway on 19th August 1957 and again on completion on 20th May 1962.
The rates of pay are interesting, see extract from the contract;

Starting salary 105 per annum.
After 1 year 141 per annum.
After 2 years 156 per annum.
After 3 years 177 per annum.
After 4 years 201 per annum.
In addition to the above, when the Apprentice is required by the Company to attend a Technical College, Training Establishment or Engineering Works ashore, the Company is prepared to pay the Apprentice an allowance towards subsistence of 5/4d per day. If it is necessary for the Apprentice to live away from his home locality (which it was), the Company is prepared to consider increasing this allowance to 10/- per day.
During such times as the Apprentice is receiving instruction afloat, the Company will provide free food and accomodation.

I am pleased to confirm that the Company did indeed, always pay me the full 10/- per day, bless 'em!

Last edited by alaric; 25th February 2015 at 19:09..
Old 25th February 2015, 18:01
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1961 - 2007

Interesting. I started my Apprenticeship in 1961 with a starting wage of 2-17s-10d for a 44 Hr week (4 hrs on Saturday, part of the normal working week), 2 Weeks holiday as directed by the employer, 4 local days holiday + 1 day on New Years Day, and we worked on Christmas day. Easter was not and still is not a holiday in Aberdeen although the April local holiday tends to coincide with Easter in the last few years.
Old 25th February 2015, 18:30

With no prospect of a job at the end of it(they hoped you went to sea).No problem the marine engine works closed down halfway though my apprenticeship as did a lot of similar companies during the 60's.
Old 25th February 2015, 22:59

My location
Rates had gone up by the time I started in late '64. The Company undertook to pay me 1,000 over the four years, starting price was 16/10/00 per month in the first year. And rates for apprentices and cadets generally rose towards the end of that first year.................. I got a big pay rise, increased to 20 a month for the rest of the first year. I never did work out how much it amounted to over the four years, probably better part of 1,200.
Old 26th February 2015, 21:31
Organisation: Port Authorities
Active: 1966 - 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia2006 View Post
Interesting. I started my Apprenticeship in 1961 with a starting wage of 2-17s-10d for a 44 Hr week (4 hrs on Saturday, part of the normal working week), 2 Weeks holiday as directed by the employer, 4 local days holiday + 1 day on New Years Day, and we worked on Christmas day. Easter was not and still is not a holiday in Aberdeen although the April local holiday tends to coincide with Easter in the last few years.
Hi Caledonia. I started my apprenticeship the same year as yourself in Aberdeen. My working hours and holidays were different from those you stated. We worked a 44hr five day week. Holidays were one day April, one July and one September and New Year was three and a half days, this was the result of the July holiday landing with the trades fortnight so half a day was split between them and New Year. I also found my indentures with the rates of wages at the time. They had just been increased, if memory serves me it was the result of a bitter national dispute of Engineering Apprentices the year before.
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wages 001.jpg (339.7 KB, 22 views)