ss Maine? - Ships Nostalgia
02:17

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

ss Maine?

User Tag List

Old 24th June 2015, 19:45
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1962 - 1979

ss Maine?

Forty odd years ago I was on the beach in the Ivory Coast and observed what I took to be a sailing vessel beached to the north of me close to the border with Liberia. Subsequently I walked to the site and discovered it was actually a freighter with its goal post masts askew. I took a photo, (since mislaid) and can only recollect the name 'Maine' and possibly a wartime standard build. Now with the internet I assumed I could formally identify the vessel but no luck. Anyone know of this wreck?
Old 1st July 2015, 19:45

It was the French MV Maine, 4513 tons, built 1947, wrecked 8 October 1963 after running aground 3 miles west of Tabou, Ivory Coast, with a cargo of timber.

Dave W
Old 1st July 2015, 20:40
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1962 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by wightspirit View Post
It was the French MV Maine, 4513 tons, built 1947, wrecked 8 October 1963 after running aground 3 miles west of Tabou, Ivory Coast, with a cargo of timber.

Dave W
Many thanks. I obtained some details after I reposted my query on the "wrecks" forum and researched further. Enroute from Libreville to Dakar and ran aground in fog. The coastline was not accurately charted as I recall.