Any Bank Liners here - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
09:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Any Bank Liners here

User Tag List

Old 2nd March 2009, 16:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASHER View Post
Did anyone remember buying Tea in packs in india and Ceylon
silver filigree jewelery, elephants etc, and then selling them in B A. It was mypocket money of course which was very much needed in B A especially when your earnings were £150 for year one, and little more for year two,
I have only happy memories of those years theunhappy ones i have forgotten

Basher Fir,South,Dart.Willow.
I remember buying a tape recorder and a short wave radio in Singapore
when with Bankline, then getting them stolen from my cabin while I was
on watch in BA, I was with Lamport & Holt on the Ronsard then.
As far as I remember it was about the only port where
you needed to lock your cabin door.
You live and learn ! ! ! .
Old 2nd March 2009, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebster56 View Post
Hi
I sailed on the Shirrabank as 4/E in early 1975. We flew out to Luanda and brought her up the West African coast before the final drop at Banjul. After that we sailed light ship to Sunderland for dry dock. I then sailed on her loading in London and ports on the continent before paying off in Rotterdam. The old man was called Scales who eventually became a superintendant, and the Chief was a guy called Trevor Cretney from the IOM. The 3/E was Bill Renwick. Does any of these, or my name ring a bell?
After paying off I had a few months leave then went on the copra run on the Sprucebank; a trip that is forever burned on my psyche due to the constant breakdowns and excessive working hours just to keep the b****** going.
Even so, it was happy days and I'd do it all again without hesitation.
Mike Webster
Hollybank was prone to to breakdowns ( scavenge fires ) about about 10
stops at sea on one trip when she was brand new, if the M/E, P type Doxford
was run at just below her design speed she was ok, we even changed a
top piston while stopped at sea, I remember engine room hands chasing heavy parts around and trying to secure them as the ship rolled.
Old 19th March 2009, 15:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strath101 View Post
Hi Mike

Remember the names well, joined the Shirrabank in Sunderland end of May 1975 as 5/E and in Rotterdam end of June. This is where I get the two Mike's confused as Mike Barber was your replacement.
Other names, Graham Humphreys, Dave Lewis, Tony Bates.
Rest of the trip was good except for a generator blowing up and paid off Cardiff in Sept. Visited the Shirra a year or two later and the generator had not been replaced.
Funny thing is I was on the Spruce before the Shirra and the Spruce was known for many breakdowns e.g. left Panama 10 Oct arrived Sydney 7 Nov.
Hi Strath
Sorry for not replying to this. Mike Barber worked with me when we both sailed with Shaw Savill. I met him again in Rotterdam when I paid off and he joined the Shirra to go deep sea.
Graham Humphries was the 2nd if my memory serves me right. He was OK, hardly ever wanted to go ashore so did the nights on board for us on a virtually continuous basis. I cannot remember Dave Lewis or Tony Bates, must have joined it when I paid off.
Oh Happy days!
Mike
Old 20th March 2009, 11:37

Hi Mike

Graham was the 2/E and memory can play funny tricks on you, we didn’t pay off in Cardiff it was Singapore in December.
Old 21st March 2009, 15:41

Sailed on the Olivebank, Ivybank,Clydebank, Roachbank, Ceadarbank,and others between 1976 - 1981 as 5th and 4th engineer. Great days!
Old 16th April 2009, 11:26

Hi Cadet,

I sailed as Engineer Cadet on the Shirrabank on her very last voyage with Bank Line. We joined on New Years day in Bangkok, with only 2 cases of beer in the bond! Sailed to South Africa with General Cargo and Sailed back to Port Kelang with a cargo of grain. Half way across, Charles and DI got engaged and we went dark ship for a day while we celebrated in the bar.

We then went into drydock for a sale survey. It was the only time I ever saw a skipper in the engineroom. We were struggling to get the hydraulic rod tensioners to work (leaking like a b*****d) so that we could overhaul a main engine unit. The skipper wandered up and quite casually mentioned that the new owners engineering superintendent was onboard and would we mind awfully NOT doing what we were doing as it looked bad :-).

Well, of course we didn't mind....Beer o'clock for us!

It was the only time that I sailed with no wives on board....bit of a party ship...memories of a little party in East London where the ladies started fighting with each other...probably not appropriate here though....

We sold her to the Cape Jarvis Shipping Company and she was scrapped at Alang less than 3 years later. However,....I still have the Red Duster that she was flying as we left her. I was the last Bank Line employee aboard her, as I ran back up the gangway after the skipper handed her over and lowered the Duster. It is on the wall above my bed. My wife doesn't understand. :-))
Old 21st April 2009, 21:08

I am in the zone! Navigating appy from 77-81 on Weirbank, Hollybank, Forthbank, Fleetbank, Corabank and South Shields MARTEC.

No doubt, we were the lucky ones to sail in this period with Bank Line.

David 'Windy' Baboulene
Old 20th May 2009, 20:45

Trevor Cretney was an ex Blue Funnel cadet and sadly had passed away at least and maybe just before 2004 when his year 1964 held a re-union in Merseyside. I was at the re-union and we drank a toast to a a decent bloke.

Quote:
Hi
I sailed on the Shirrabank as 4/E in early 1975. We flew out to Luanda and brought her up the West African coast before the final drop at Banjul. After that we sailed light ship to Sunderland for dry dock. I then sailed on her loading in London and ports on the continent before paying off in Rotterdam. The old man was called Scales who eventually became a superintendant, and the Chief was a guy called Trevor Cretney from the IOM. The 3/E was Bill Renwick. Does any of these, or my name ring a bell?
After paying off I had a few months leave then went on the copra run on the Sprucebank; a trip that is forever burned on my psyche due to the constant breakdowns and excessive working hours just to keep the b****** going.
Mike Webster
Old 28th May 2009, 09:06

Quote:
Hi
I sailed on the Shirrabank as 4/E in early 1975.
The 3/E was Bill Renwick. Does any of these, or my name ring a bell?
Mike Webster
Bill Renwick 3/E on left

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...2/ppuser/27129
Old 11th September 2009, 17:09

I remeber Bill renwick, on the Cloverbak in 1977 I think, and we changed ships name to Sienna. master was Bill Langworthy and chief was from Belfast. Long stay in Singapore drydock i seem to remeber

Lester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strath101 View Post
Old 12th September 2009, 08:15
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1956 - 2005

Boat Deck genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I sailed on one Bank Boat that had a bl**dy great big Cat. Generator bolted down on the Boat Deck and it would shake the living daylights out of the Smoke Room when in use. Would that have been the Shirra ????.................pete
I remember the big cat on the boat deck.It was there because one of the "Allen" generators broke a crankshaft,and was there for two years.No sooner was it removed than one of the other generators broke its crankshaft and it had to be replaced.
Not sure of the ship but it might have been Teviotbank!
regards,
Ben Masey
Old 12th September 2009, 22:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didge View Post
I joined the Hollybank in Cardiff on 1st Aug '74 and paid off in Hamburg on the 22nd... 3 weeks on the coast. Then joined her again in March '75 in Cardiff and paid off in New Orleans in Sept. 75, having been on the Europe - Oz run, then chartered to Barbers hauling specials from the Far East to West Coast USA and then 2nd hand road construction equipment and heavylifts to Venezuela. Brian dewhurst
Is that you Skippy? Senior apprentice on Rowanbank 1975/76?

Dave Booth
Larchbank 2nd Lecky Nov '74 - July '75
Forthbank 2nd Lecky Aug '75 - Sep '75
Rowanbank 2nd Lecky/1st Lecky - Nov '75 - Aug '76
Old 26th September 2009, 10:03

Hello, Cadet! I was on the Hollybank, joined New Orleans, did New Zealand, Fiji for sugar, signed off at Liverpool. Capt was an ex-Shell scotsman, probably the most unpleasant one I ever sailed with. Came across the second mate, an Aussie with a big beard, on a United Arab ship in Avonmouth in 1983. The lecky was from Glasgow and threatened the 2nd lecky with a broken bottle in the bar one night. I'd just turned in but heard the crash of the breaking bottle! ATB, bigjohnw, Bristol area.
Old 27th September 2009, 20:57

I sailed on the Hollybank with both Cadet and Bigjohnw on the voyage mentioned from New Orleans to NZ the Fiji with sugar to Liverpool. At 3.5 months a short trip for Bank Line. Angus Brodie was old man, who I found ok. It wasn't the best trip I had in Bank Line, but it was ok.
PJW
Old 28th September 2009, 13:14

Quote:
Hi
Mike Webster
Hi Mike,
Bill Renwick was my 5th/eng on Olivebank when I was there as 2/eng a good
bloke ,any body know what's happened to him. 1972/73

Regards Ian Shields [handle is ianian]
Old 29th September 2009, 16:13
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1956 - 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT HENDERSON View Post
Did any of you Bank Line gentlemen sail with or know a Capt. Frank Parsons?
He would have left about the late 70s early 80s.

Regards Robert
Hi Robert,
I sailed with him when he was mate on Carronbank.He sends apologies for non attendance at BL Association dinners.
Contact Bank Line Association for info:

[email protected]

regards,
Ben Masey
Old 5th October 2009, 16:33

Bank Line from 1974 to 1979,
Springbank Capt H Barber
Beaverbank Capt Langworthy
Weybank Capt Grist
Ernebank capt Thomas
Moraybank Capt JJ Reed
Glad that's over

Eddie Blenkinsopp
Old 26th October 2009, 16:04

My location
1964 - 1968

Pinebank
Forresbank
Nairnbank
Cedarbank

2nd lecky and chief lecky

Sold a few ponds of tea and lots of other stuff in my time to adjust the pay packet, including selling 8mm gear to the customs in Chile. A bit cheeky what. Also done for selling cigarettes for prawns in Chalna.
Old 26th October 2009, 16:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 436lp View Post
I remeber Bill renwick, on the Cloverbak in 1977 I think, and we changed ships name to Sienna. master was Bill Langworthy and chief was from Belfast. Long stay in Singapore drydock i seem to remeber

Lester
Hi Lester,

Do you know where Bill is now, incidently live just up the road from you in Ashford , next to Staines.

Regards

Ian
Old 26th October 2009, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianian View Post
Hi Mike,
Bill Renwick was my 5th/eng on Olivebank when I was there as 2/eng a good
bloke ,any body know what's happened to him. 1972/73

Regards Ian Shields [handle is ianian]
Hi Ian
Thanks for this. I do not know what happened to Bill. Last I heard of him was when he was still on the Shirrabank after I had left it and I was on the Sprucebank on the copra run. We exchanged a few messages via Marconi but I never heard from him again. I still have some of the old Bank Line magazines. I will look what ship he was on after the Shirra (if he was actually on one)
He was a great bloke, albeit a bit of a rough diamond, and we had some great times together.
Mike
Old 29th October 2009, 00:28

OK you ex Bank Line guys....my brother Ken Pepper from Hull, served his apprenticeship as deck cadet from about 1964 doing the usual 15 monthers. Does anyone remember him ? He was on the Riverbank in November 66 as we met up in Yokohama when i was on the La Loma (Buries Markes). Would be good to suprise him with a few names from the past and get him to come aboard.
Old 3rd November 2009, 09:33

1953 - 1957 - Beaverbank, Westbank, Clydebank, Hazelbank (apprenticeship / 3rd Mate uncertificated ) 1958 - 1962 - Irisbank (3rd Mate), Cloverbank (3rd Mate ), Teakbank (2nd Mate / 1st Mate ).

and I do not regret for one moment the time I spent with Bank Line (Andrew Weir Shipping & Trading Co Ltd ) 21 Bury Street, London, EC3.
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lindsell View Post
1953 - 1957 - Beaverbank, Westbank, Clydebank, Hazelbank (apprenticeship / 3rd Mate uncertificated ) 1958 - 1962 - Irisbank (3rd Mate), Cloverbank (3rd Mate ), Teakbank (2nd Mate / 1st Mate ).

and I do not regret for one moment the time I spent with Bank Line (Andrew Weir Shipping & Trading Co Ltd ) 21 Bury Street, London, EC3.
Looks as if we nearly met!Apprenticeship on;-Moraybank,Irisbank,Levernbank,Fleetbank and the Ivybank.From 1954 to 1958
Old 3rd November 2009, 18:04
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:

Mike when were you on the Clydebank ,I was senior app on her April 55 to Aug 56,payed off in durban to go home for second mates.

JIM
Old 3rd November 2009, 19:18

My location
Quote:

Mike were you with me on the Clydebank - the other Apprentice at the time was a chap Dave Nurse from Grimsby and the Master was Capt Hale?. The second mate was an Australian called Spedding if I recall correctly.
Best Wishes
JC