Nauru Shipping - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
17:40

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Nauru Shipping

User Tag List

Old 21st May 2005, 00:44

The "Iron Baron" was sold in 1984 to Cypriot owners and renamed "Iron B". She was sold again in 1986 and renamed "Vixen", still Cypriot flag. After suffering major engine trouble she was broken up in Kaohsiung in 1986.
Dave Edge.
Old 21st May 2005, 04:05

Dave,
Thanks for that info on the Baron, I couldnt remember what happened to the last one and then a quick sentence and I could remember seeing her towed out and sunk..think I must be getting old!!.
Doug
Old 14th June 2005, 23:53

My location
More on Nauru ships

Just signed on and reading this thread about the ships of Nauru. Got a few bits and pieces about the ships

Spend some time there, the worst nearly a month ... a favourite night picture from the monkey island of Denholm's Scotspark - so must have drifted over the Equator a good few times ....

The Island uses philately to generate some badly needed income, and over the years the ships have featured on various stamps issues. The most attractive was the sheet on this webpage I made up for the ship-stamp list. The nice 7c stamp with the Eigamoiya (then renamed Chrysanthi, Windsor III, & Asoka II ??) is attached, along with a scan from a postcard, of her on what looks VERY like the Clyde.

Hopefully I'll post more stuff as it's found, b.rdgs, back to 16.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eigamoiya7c.jpg (36.6 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg EigamoiyaPC.jpg (29.3 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by airds; 14th June 2005 at 23:56.. Reason: Additions
Old 15th June 2005, 00:37

My location
Yet more Nauru & ships

This post:-

(i) Another of the 'Eigamoiya' on a 60c stamp celebrating the 75 Anniversary of Phosphate Shipments

(ii)Hungry Hogarth's/S.S.M. 'Baron Minto' under the infamous Nauru loading gantry/cantilever, sets of stamps issued by various countries for 150 years of Lloyd List (1984) See the excellent Scottish Ship Management shipmates website here

and (iii) another of Denholm's 'Scotspark' loading phosphate see from shoreside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eiga60c75.jpg (31.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg BMinto.jpg (20.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg sparknauru.jpg (43.7 KB, 129 views)
Old 15th June 2005, 02:50

Nauru stamps

Amazing to find out that a nation relies on phylately.
Hereby arguably the most beautiful stamp they issued back in 1982.
I purchased 1000 or 2000 pieces and our company added such original souvenir stamp to a newsletter which found its way to many worldwide shipping customers.

I got permission from Nauru House at the time to use their stamp as advertising, after all I purchased these.
We made reference that all our products were used on board these vessels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nauru stamp.jpg (73.3 KB, 122 views)
Old 15th June 2005, 02:51

Ah pure Nostalgia, so glad I didnt visit but just passed by!!. Nice Posting!!
Old 15th June 2005, 03:34

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Hendrik
Hereby arguably the most beautiful stamp they issued back in 1982.
I purchased 1000 or 2000 pieces and our company added such original souvenir stamp to a newsletter which found its way to many worldwide shipping customers.

Thanks Jan

Can I ask what your product was?

Yes the sheet is very attractive and interesting. My scan came out well, did you check the link for to the ship-stamp list page here? The miniature sheets still come up on ebay ocassionally. However, there is a spelling mistake - the Eigamoiya was built at Leith (Edinburgh, Scotland) not Leigh. There was also a later sheet featuring an unknown ship at the loading gantry - see first attachment below. The second is a daytime view of my ship loading phosphate.

Also, remember the refugees picked up by the 'Tampa' (Wilhelm Wilhemsen Shipping) in September 2001 ended up on Nauru amid some
controversy and concern, but generating income for the island - paid for by Australia. There is still some articles on the BBC World News site

Right better go - think with all this talk about the Mid-Pacific I have my time zones mixed up

rdgs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NauruMS.jpg (59.5 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg sparkday.jpg (53.3 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by airds; 15th June 2005 at 03:51..
Old 15th June 2005, 08:42

Marine paints, story of my life, 39 years with the same company, retired 1st January this year, now painting the house (with some marine paints) and minding the garden.
Doing a lot of presentations to clubs (e.g. Rotary) and Associations on maritime subjects etc.

Last edited by Jan Hendrik; 15th June 2005 at 10:27..
Old 16th June 2005, 02:14

My location
[QUOTE=Jan Hendrik] now painting the house (with some marine paints) QUOTE]

Hope there is not a boot topping around the outside .....
Old 16th June 2005, 05:33

Brick house, timber framed windows, so not too bad.
Not subject to floods, so did not need a boottop.

Remember the old boottop paint?? Since 20 plus years this no longer exists and the name disappeared too, only old "rots" still know what is a boottop paint...
They paint Antifouling till deep load line now. In the old days Antifouling was not "weather resistant - read UV resistant- " but today " no worries mate"
Old 16th June 2005, 12:16
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Air Nauru. 1 B737-4LJ. registration VH-RON Serial No 26960. operated for norfolk express.
Old 8th September 2005, 21:28
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
Remember Narau well as it was a dot in the middle of nowhere.
One time we spent 30 days drifting off waiting for the swell to ease off so we could get tied up to the buoys.
I got a steel splinter in my eye and ended up in the local hospital. The two doctors there were from Oz and were at one time consulting Melbourne about amputating my eye. Fortunately it did not need to be done.
I was a walking patient and managed to get about the island and see more than most visiting ships crews.
There was a long runway for plane but no service and we used to take passengers to Oz or New Zealand.
There was many Japanese plane wrecks and gun emplacemants as the captured they Island during the second world war.
One of the naval guns was in place which was taken from Singapore.
I don't know if it was a good thing but the Japanese rid the island of leoprosy as all the poor victums were loaded on a barge and taken out past the reefs ang shot. Fed to the sharks.
The Islanders at that time were rich and only did token work. Other islanders were brought in as were Chinese and Indians workers.
A chince fellow was riding round the island on his moped and hit a Narauian. They were big people and the rider came of the worst.
Great to get back on board the ship again.
One of the big concerns was fresh water as none was available at Narau.
WE used to chace rain clouds and pulg the scuppers and feed to E/R tanks.
Washed our selves to and did some dobhi if it lasted long enough.

Last edited by [email protected]; 8th September 2005 at 22:29.. Reason: addition
Old 9th September 2005, 01:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by airds
.....Also, remember the refugees picked up by the 'Tampa' (Wilhelm Wilhemsen Shipping) in September 2001 ended up on Nauru amid some
controversy and concern, but generating income for the island - paid for by Australia. There is still some articles on the BBC World News site
About a year ago I was offered a month's temporary work at the Nauru detention centre but unfortunately my present employers wouldn't release me. I was quite interested to see the island again but no such luck. The island wasn't all bad - I recall a riotous afternoon in a 'bar' called Aunty Peggy's (or something like that) - cheap beer and overrun with grey piglets. Also the supermarket sold duty free much cheaper than that available on board.

I believe the last of the assylum seekers, having received temporary visas for Australia, left the island a few weeks ago and the detention centre has closed. Expect more stamps!

Funny the stamps don't show the scrap cars and bottles and cans that seem to litter the whole place - maybe they don't anymore.

John T.
Old 9th September 2005, 01:27

Nice to hear some stories from people who actually spent some time on the island (good or bad), so will be on the lookout for the next stamps.
Old 1st May 2006, 02:44

Not meaning to cause an argument, but it was the Eigamoiya that was laid up in melbourne at duke and orrs.
Enna G was laid up in Majuro atoll for a similar period after being rejected by USA coast guard for carrying Ameriacn passengers around the Pacific.
Old 19th June 2006, 04:38

Eigamoya - Launching

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanker
EIGAMOIYA, built 1969,Robb Caledon Leith

As a cadet, at Leith Nautical College at the time, I watched her launching.
Two Nauruans (sp?) were cadets on the course and they sailed on her after fitting out, if I recall.
Henry Robbs wasn't it?
From memory, her flu had a big navy blue band with a large multi-pointed yellow star.............. She also had a twin anchor arrangement port and starboard. Thats about all I can remember of her.

Any photos of her?

Last edited by Iain Lourie; 19th June 2006 at 04:44..
Old 19th June 2006, 11:33

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Lourie
Any photos of her?
One scannned from an old postcard and another of her on an attractive stamp issued by Nauru. Also, see this webpage I'd made up, with the Nauru fleet on a sheetlet on Nauru Phosphate Shipping. But check her build port - 'Leigh' (sic) - obviously lost something in the translation !

http://snipurl.com/ck7x

The funnel colours scheme is based on the country's flag - which I believe the white star represents the 12 tribes/areas of the Island with the yellow band the equator - as Nauru lies only 12 miles or so South of it. See http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/flags/nr.html

ps According to (German) Wikipedia, 'Eigamoiya' was a Nauruan Queen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EigamoiyaPC.jpg (61.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Eigamoiya7c.jpg (45.9 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by airds; 19th June 2006 at 11:48..
Old 19th June 2006, 11:50

Cheers for the pics and the info'
Old 23rd June 2006, 04:21

Strangley enough, the old Iron Spencer ran aground on exactly the same reef a few years previously but this was never picked up by the media. (but that story's another thread, for sure)

ian
Old 3rd February 2007, 01:02

Enna G

Enna G, alive an well in Honolulu. Yes, this is an old photo. But still seems like yesterday when we were enjoying the warmth of the Pacific, the rumble of the engine, a happy and warm crew, friendly passengers, great food, and memories for a lifetime. For those who remember: SF, Honolulu, Majuro, Ponape, Truk, Saipan, Samoa, Tonga, Christmas, Subic, Guam.
Enna G 800x600.jpg
Old 3rd February 2007, 01:03

Enna G

Enna G, alive an well in Honolulu. Yes, this is an old photo. But still seems like yesterday when we were enjoying the warmth of the Pacific, the rumble of the engine, a happy and warm crew, friendly passengers, great food, and memories for a lifetime. For those who remember: SF, Honolulu, Majuro, Ponape, Truk, Saipan, Samoa, Tonga, Christmas, Subic, Guam.
Attachment 6909
Old 3rd February 2007, 05:53
KIWI
Active: 1949 - 1955

My location
Would not be sure but have an idea the Enna G lay in Wellington for quite a long time under arrest. Kiwi
Old 11th February 2007, 10:35
Active: 1965 - 1972

My location
In the early 1970's Nauru Pacific Line was looking to acquire another vessel which they were going to name "Cenpacrounder" as it was only to do the rounds of the Pacific Islands. She was to be purchased from Palm Line if I remember correctly.
This was at the time they were building the Kolle D.
Does anyone know the history of Cenpacrounder?

BobW
Old 8th December 2007, 14:11

My location
Great images of Nauru and these gantries from Google Earth.
All the info and the program download here http://earth.google.com

(Suppose I'd better include all their bumff:-
"Google Earth streams the world over wired and wireless networks enabling users to virtually go anywhere on the planet and see places in photographic detail. This is not like any map you have ever seen. This is a 3D model of the real world, based on real satellite images combined with maps, guides to restaurants, hotels, entertainment, businesses and more. You can zoom from space to street level instantly and then pan or jump from place to place, city to city, even country to country. Get Google Earth. Put the world in perspective." )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GoogleEarthNauru.jpg (80.4 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg GoogleEarthGantries.jpg (101.3 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by airds; 8th December 2007 at 14:13..
Old 8th December 2007, 19:27

My location
Anyone come across by cousin , Victor MacLeod , who was ch.eng on the
Rosie D around 1972 ?.