Ben Edra - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
16:22

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ben Edra

User Tag List

Old 28th April 2009, 20:33

Good friend of mine is Lawrie Reynolds, who brought Ben Torc out new from the yard. He sailed out of N.Shields for many years. Now well in his eighties, he doesn't get out much now, but mind is as sharp as ever. His brother, Teddie, now long gone, was my next door neighbour years ago. Also, while I was up at South Shields for Mate(FG), Ernie Longhorn and a mate of his Jock Morrice (?)were there 1966 (?)

J.D.Robinson
Old 17th May 2009, 09:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenuk View Post
my brother worked on the ben boats in the 70's im sure,
his name is aubrey williams or (bob) or (will), does anyone remember him , he still lives in shields
Sailed with Aubrey Williams on a Spanish flag trawler Ashley out of Coruna in 86/87
Old 11th June 2009, 15:16

hi everyone, ive just found this site, i started working in the ben boats in 1969, started as apprentice in the ben torc and a few year later was mate of it when she was eventually sold.
very nice to hear some of my old shipmates names,
and sorry to hear some have dropped anchor.
Old 12th July 2009, 17:37

Unhappy Ben Vurie

Hi
Just found this site and wondered if anyone remembers my late husband JOHN MARKIE who sailed from North Shields on the Ben boats in the 1970's. He joined the merchant navy when the fishing industry declined and sadly he lost his life on the NESAM in 1982, he was only 33.
Old 20th September 2009, 18:31

hi
i too have just found this site. my father alexander pert was on the ben boats, i would like to hear from anyone who knew him or has any pics. also my uncle colin fleming was on these boats as well. my father drowned after falling from the ben asdale while she was berthed in aberdeen in feb 1978 aged 32. i remember as an 8 year old going away on a trip on the ben wyvis during the school holidays in 1977.
Old 29th September 2009, 06:34

that first i looked when whet shields was ben boats
Old 15th October 2009, 11:15

Hi Lads,
Just discovered this website and was wondering if anyone can remember my dad who sailed on The Strome and one or two other Ben boats like the Vurie,Chourn, etc( but mainly the Strome) His name is John Wenn but was sometimes known as Jack or Jackie.
Old 21st December 2009, 20:48

My location
I was on the Polar Prince as a boy.Meldrum Shipley skipper,also Ben Chourn,Kit Jamieson skipper,Both Richard Irvin boats,in 1957,before i went as Apprentice with Prince Line.
Old 22nd December 2009, 00:29

i now live in meldrum shipleys house in shields, old albert whiting also sailed on the prince learned me to netmend.

remember the ben edra on fire at the haddock shop in 78
Old 23rd December 2009, 16:50

My location
SN 21 Was that the Nil Desperandum, or the Sunbeam,Last boat I sailed on was the Stamila with Polish Paul and Joe Tulloch,
No i don't remember Fire in Ben Edra as i now live in Shetland.Shieds has fairly changed.

Last edited by jonnyingram; 23rd December 2009 at 16:56..
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:17

hi johnny, sn21 was the tudor time, i have some pics of her on fire somewhere i will post them when i get the scanner fixed or buy a new one.
if you have a look on trawler photos. com and search for ben edra there are a few pics on there, or trawler pictures.net. hope these help mate
Old 23rd December 2009, 17:18

bob palmer had her when she was onfire she got refitted and went to newfoundland
Old 21st January 2010, 10:59

The Ben Gulvain was wrecked on the Aberdeen beach just north of the mouth of the Don. My father wanted to buy her because he reckoned he could refloat her.

We went down for a look around her and as soon as I went into the engineroom I KNEW that I was going to sea as an engineer...I was 15

Apparently she was refloated and scrapped
Old 24th May 2010, 19:28

Frank Wilkinson

Anyone out there remember Frank Wilkinson? He was on Ben Torc in 1973 and remembers Harry Slack and Terry Kerman - and the Cup Final celebrations when Sunderland beat Leeds United!
Old 25th May 2010, 11:14

Colin419,

She eventually ended up in Anstruther Harbour and was scrapped there

Cheers

TD
Old 25th May 2010, 11:22

My location
Anyone remember my late uncle Frankie (Deafer) Moir was with Irvins out of Aberdeen for years?
Old 20th June 2010, 21:22

My location
I sailed as deckie learner on the Polar Prince and the Ben Chourn,Meldrum Shipley &Kit Jamison,1956 &1957.Both Richard Irvine trawlers.
Old 9th October 2010, 21:27

two came to Canada and one is sunk in a river in Nova Scotia
Old 29th January 2011, 10:50
Department: Electrician

Ben Chourn SN20

Hi All,

I am looking for some info on the Ben Chorn SN20. My Dad Sailed on her in the early Sixties. His name is Brian (Tucker) Welch.

I know the skipper was Kit.

Any photos or info on the boat or her crew would be great. Would love to know where everyone and the boat ended up and who is still around?

We know live in Australia and would love to see how everything ended up.

Thanks in Advance.

Dean Welch
Australia
Old 29th January 2011, 14:59
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1982

hi my names barty. served as mate with Kit Jameson on the Ben Chourn 1969 to 1971. The boat ended up in being sold in the early 80's to a spanish company in La Caruna, north west spain.
Old 29th January 2011, 15:08
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1962 - 1982

barty coe was skipper of ben edra when on fire at haddock shop. we had just finsihed mackeral and blue whiting fishery and she was docked to have fishroom repairs carried out. after fire repairs was being made ready to start pair trawling with sister ship Ben Wyvis came to sailing day and told both boats sold to canadian owners. Bob palmer took edra and john gowie took wyvis across. i stayed behind to commission new boat ben Loyal.
Old 16th February 2011, 11:53

Two came to Canada, one is partly submerge in a river in Nova Scotia, Canada. I can get some photos and more info if you like.
Old 9th May 2011, 23:31
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1958 - 1966

hi. i done a plesure trip on the ben gulvain and the inchgower abergeldie not to sure about the spelling also worked on the earl of buchan back in the back in good old days skipper was billy ( fanny) carr mate i think was called achison or atkinson third hand pat carr skippers brother second eng tommy jonstone another old timer called stanton clay cant remember any more long time ago .anyone remember my dad ted stidolph he worked on the boats for about 40 years .
Old 11th November 2012, 18:30
Active: 1958 - 1966

hi.everyone i was a deckie on the earl of buchan when she was scraped about 1960 the skipper was billy carr.he was skipper of the ben glass when joind her. i also worked on the vurie,chourn, the old ben gulvain and a couple of purdys boats. the last one i worked on was the ben strome about 1966 skipper was from peterhead.i think his name was jimmy novell.pogger brown was mate he used to take her up to peterhead to pick the skipper up then same back again. paid of that new year and owed irvins 11 pound. that was the end for me.just rememberd done a few trips with old bob parmer on tw irvin.
Old 29th November 2012, 20:19
Department: Fishing

The Jock Morrise ey mentioned would be Eddie Morrice he came from Buckie originally old mate of mine no longer with us.