Old photographs - Ships Nostalgia
13:30

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Old photographs

User Tag List

Old 5th May 2017, 11:22

Old photographs

I have 60 boxes containing thousands of photographs from 10 x 8 to
6 x 4 and smaller.
All taken over the last 70 years of family, views, ships, people and holiday snaps.
Now I want to "downsize" and clear out most of them.
My son is not particularly interested so what on earth do I do with them. It is very depressing chucking them into the bin.
Scanning them all to the computer would take too long.
Any ideas would be most welcome
Old 5th May 2017, 12:00
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
If the family is not interested in them George there is not much use for them. Pick out the best and give the others the deep six.
Old 5th May 2017, 14:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by George.GM View Post
6 x 4 and smaller.
All taken over the last 70 years of family, views, ships, people and holiday snaps.
My son is not particularly interested so what on earth do I do with them. It is very depressing chucking them into the bin.

If you take the time... pick out ANY photos of ANY ship... the best would be sent to the World Ship Society. If you want, I can contact someone that will do for it.

Thanks, but please don't chuck the lot out.

Stephen
Old 5th May 2017, 15:12

Thanks Gentlemen
Stephen the Warship World magazine took most of my warship and RFA photos.
They were very generous in their contribution to my Merlot fund.
I think there is a branch of the WSS locally so I will contact them for
the merchant ship pics.
Next problem is the dozens of IOW churches and manor houses that I took when doing competitions for the camera club.
Old 5th May 2017, 16:05
Department: Navigation

My Grandfather was an enthusiastic early adopter of Photography, over time all his photos have passed down to me. They are the most boring photos I have every seen, very few people, standard views of Scarborough, a rose bush, Fountains Abbey, the garden. I would give every one of them for a photo of Granny winning the pretty knees contest at Butlins. All mounted in glass slides bound with Passepartout. The bin.
Old 22nd May 2017, 15:30
Department: Deck
Active: 1974 - 1989

Your son may not be that interested now but the likelyhood is that in over 50 years time SOMEONE in your family will be.
For sure, pass on all the ships pictures and bin the scenery but any with people/family members I would retain. If you have the inclination write on the back who is in the pictures. Somewhere down the line someone will be grateful that you did and may even be proud to learn of a seafarer within the family.
Don't be too hasty.
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:49

Thanks Jasper.
I have kept all the family ones for my son to look through when he next visits.
All the churches and manor houses I have given to the local paper.
They seemed very pleased.
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:59
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Active: 1958 - 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by George.GM View Post
6 x 4 and smaller.
I don't have any ideas but I too have inherited all sorts of ancient photographs -- boxes of them ranging from old prints from negative film through 35mm slides and later DSLR. A lot of the prints are from places that I had visited when at sea, and I am no longer sure where half of them are.
There are masses of family "snaps" that could hardly be called "photographs", but my daughter relishes them because they show her as a compliant little girl before she became an alpha female and an ABA boxing coach!
There are also a number of faded photographs taken by (I believe) an engineer cousin of my maternal grandmother in Australia in the late nineteenth century, with some descriptions on the back of each print explaining what they were. Others portraying long-dead family members pre-nineteen thirties, only a few of which I can now identify and then only by guesswork.
I have managed to trace many of those in the photos through Ancestry.UK, and have built something of a family tree going back a few hundred years, but I don't know what use that is to anyone. I just felt it to be something worth doing, because one day grandchildren might become curious..
Over some time I have been digitising these old photos, in many cases with an application of Photo shop to make them legible, and I have been storing them on CDs and Cloud drives but, in each case, I have added what I believe to be the subjects.
This might seem like a pointless exercise, since none of my extended family are really concerned about all of them that show children on a beach in the nineteen-nineties. But one day, perhaps, a great grandchild might be interested enough to investigate those old photos assuming that they can then read CDs and Cloud drives. Perhaps then a grandchild might say "Oh look! That is my mammy sitting beside Grandma, holding me in her arms."
So my message:

Your collection might be pointless to you or even to your immediate family, but it might not be in many years to come. Keep it and record it. A future generation might applaud you for that!

And if they don't then f**k 'em!
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:22

When my Dad died, I spent a long time back at home, getting Mum settled into a new way of life and sorting stuff out. In the evenings, I scanned all the people photos I could find. This was with a 8086 computer and a serial port scanner, it had a Hard-Card, 32 meg and I ended up with so many files and so much space taken up, but I did eventually get them onto one CD, everybody got a copy, and now we find them very good to go through and show to anyone we can tie down. I love them, and they bring so many memories to life. Buildings and landscapes are a long way second.
Old 22nd May 2017, 18:21
Active: 1977 - 1988

I have to agree with Art 6. Even though your son may not be interested now, but when he is in his dotage, or his kids and grandkids probably would be. My Mum is 80 today, and my daughter found loads of old photos, had a book made and presented her Grandma with 'This Is Your Life'. Had Mum in tears - especially one of her in a bikini! I would also like to point out that even more modern photos will be old one day!
Rob
Old 22nd May 2017, 20:57

Once upon a time I owned a book called "A Country Camera 1840-1900".

It was particularly interesting to me because it showed several photographs of the market town of Bala, Merionethshire. I knew that my maternal grandmother (Naini, whom I knew well) was born in 1874 at Llandderfel, near Bala on the family farm where she grew up.

Of all the photographs which I have inherited by far the most interesting is one of Naini's mother (my great-grandmother), in a studio-photograph stamped on the back with the name of a photographer at Arthog (also Merionethshire, but on the coast at a distance of, I'd guess, about thirty miles from Bala). What the whole thing tells me is that the photograph must surely have been taken during a day trip (such luxury for a farming family) on the new-fangled railway which then connected deepest Merionethshire with the outside world (Arthog being near Fairbourne, on the coast). What a day out it must have been! Great-gran tarted up in her Victorian best and looking wholly severe for the camera - and in all probability terrified! A farmer's wife having a day out at the seaside - Good heavens! - Whatever next?

Last edited by Barrie Youde; 22nd May 2017 at 21:00..
Old 23rd May 2017, 14:22
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Active: 1958 - 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Pithers View Post
I have to agree with Art 6. Even though your son may not be interested now, but when he is in his dotage, or his kids and grandkids probably would be. My Mum is 80 today, and my daughter found loads of old photos, had a book made and presented her Grandma with 'This Is Your Life'. Had Mum in tears - especially one of her in a bikini! I would also like to point out that even more modern photos will be old one day!
Rob
I and my son and daughter did exactly that when my wife succumbed to Alzheimer's disease. We responded to a suggestion from a medical student who was studying Alzheimer's as part of his medical degree course, when his studies let him to think that a book of memories might stimulate a dying mind. I created a lot of digitised photos right from my wife's teenage, showing our relationship right from marriage to children, including the trip we did together at sea where she was photographed on the bridge off Cape town with her hair blowing in the wind.
My son and daughter both run successful graphic design companies, so with the medical student they were able to create a book -- we called it "The Book of Mum."
In the preparation of the Book of Mum I had handed over to #1 son our wedding album that had been hidden in a wardrobe for many years, and he thumbed through it looking for photographs that he could use but had never seen before. There was one, my new wife and I standing outside the church in the cathedral city of Waterford, surrounded by our families. He stared at it for minutes, and then muttered "Oh Dad, Mum was bloody gorgeous, wasn't she?"
That is why I believe that you should never just dump historical photographs, but should try to record them in CDs or thumb drives or in the Internet Cloud, so that possibly some time in the future a descendant might say "Good Lord, my great grandmother was bloody gorgeous, wasn't she?"
We have the means nowadays to establish the lives of our loved ones in something other than fading memory and a few grave stones that are never visited. Why not do it? After all, the future can look or choose not to without the guilt of a never-tended grave.
Old 23rd May 2017, 16:39
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Excellent idea Art, and a very touching story.
Old 24th May 2017, 07:11

My memories are in my mind but once I've gone how will the children know how we lived. Please don't throw them away, give them to the kids, they can sort them over time or give them to a local society or museum but please don't throw away what to future generations will become their link with the past. Isn't that why we post photies ships on this site?