P.S Ryde - being scrapped? - Page 12 - Ships Nostalgia
16:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

P.S Ryde - being scrapped?

User Tag List

Old 6th December 2010, 16:18

The Survey he was doing was to see if she was in a "fit" enough state to be towed to a Scrapyard on the Tyne as I understood it.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 6th December 2010, 23:04
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 1972

Towed to a scrapyard, what a waste of money that survey was she has more holes in her than metal in her, she should have been scrapped years ago
Old 7th December 2010, 09:08

Come on....lets be truthfull to yourselves ........... I thought it was a bit unkind of the inspector to laugh like he did .............

He was just doing a job of work.......no sentimental attachment to what now must be said is a pile of junk, and an eyesore, and a safety issue to young inquisitive children's minds.....nothing else

The chap has probably seen many more, far more sea worthy vessels than that,which he has condemned, and was probably amazed that someone had spent good money on commisioning him to tell them what they already knew.........it was going no where except back to mother earth.

We have to be realistic about this, and in this financial turmoil that we are in, I would rather donate my money to a cancer research charity than a lost cause like this.
Old 8th December 2010, 05:12
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1989 - 2001

I can't believe someone actually paid to enquire if the ship could be towed. It seems the PS Ryde has claimed a lot of peoples commonsense! If the inspector laughed, he was justified and I think plenty of us here have made sufficient comment. The Ryde is going nowhere, it's too late.
Old 1st January 2011, 19:11

Smile ARCO Scheldt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
Here is another photo of her on the pontoon in Newhaven when I was on the coaster Scheldt in around 1969.

Alec.
Wndering if the Scheldt you're talking about was the ARCO Scheldt, Amey Roadstone Dredger, Portsmouuth/Southampton crossing to Flushing (Vlissingen in Holland with sand and gravel dregded from the solent and off Harwich) I was A/B- Steward on her and the ARCO Trent around 1976.......
Old 4th January 2011, 20:02

My location
PS Ryde

Hello, we were with Kamil and our friend from Ryde Barrie D. on her board on 29.11.2010. Here you can see two sets of pictures - one catalog of Kamil's pictures and other of mine.

Here is a link to our gallery:

http://www.bembridge.pl/cms.php?lid=pl&gid=48850.

There is a Manxmann gallery too. Tomorrow we will add more pictures.

Concerning SS Ryde - she do not exist any more as a vessel. Her last time to be restored passed ca 20 years ago. Today all steel plates are so thin that you can come with even small hammer everywhere. Steel frames are so thin that even walking on her deck is really dangerous. I was in many places but I can simply say - not everywhere because it was to dangerous. Whole her hull is broken in two places. She is simply a mountain of rusted steel without even any commercial value for any breakers - and it is a main problem of Marine where SS Ryde is laying on the mud. She stopped to be afloat ca 5 years ago. Today her bottom is fully submerged in the mud. Mud is inside of her hull too. There is no any equipment in UK permitting to remove her from that mud. Anybody who is even using a word "restoration" or "saving" in connection with world "PS Ryde" is a really mad man - a man who do not know what he is speaking about! Only one what can be done is to built a copy of PS Ryde and than equip it with only 5 original elements from PS Ryde - so unique steam engine,paddles mechanism, steam windlass for anchors, and bow and aft rudder. Any other element do not exist any more - I was even afraid during my walking to her bow.

What happened with SS Ryde is a drama for me - but I am for 100% sure that she will be cut into a small pieces and that somebody will be forced to pay a hell of money for her utilization - these scrub is contaminated by oil, wood, cables and garbage will cost a lot to be ordered.

Today we can only say - let's rescue these 6 mentioned above elements. But ... being realistic man - even if any Museum will receive these elements free that cost of their removal from wreck will be terrible - please imagine - you must dismantle a whole engine with total weight of ca 250 tons - piece by piece. First you must open her hull from the top and make a free space for a people. Than you must protect the working space for a people to work in extremely heavy and dangerous conditions - who can walk on a rusty steel constructions additionally covered by grease, oil and finally by mud (tides are working over there by 24 hours!!!). You need a nice crane to work for min 2 weeks - you can not place it near her hull - it must be in certain distance. You need ca 10 - 15 people for it. You need min 10 maybe 15 trucks to load these elements - everything depending from a unit weight of every element what that team will be able to made - you know not everything will be possible to unscrew!!!. You must take piece by piece gently - you must unscrew a nuts staying many years under a water and some of them were never moved in any position from a day of her launching!!! It is a mass of work really. I can estimate that job in UK for min GBP 150 000 - 200 000 + trucks. Than you must pay for preservation and conservation of that engine, to find a proper space in any museum - so building and mount it inside and make all mechanisms working - than you will have a huge attraction. But please count yourself who will pay for it? It can reach easily GBP 500 000 in total. So who? Today when even in UK all Museums are saving all spending of money, when all budgets are smaller, when still Europe is in crisis?

So what can be the end of SS Ryde? Completely demolition without any saving of anything.

I know more or less that today owner intend to sell whole wreck. It is a funny joke. Nobody will pay even single penny.

So today the owner must pay somebody to help him to remove engine to have a clear ground. Today she has a "-" value if you know what I mean.

The engine from SS Ryde is very unique - first of all cylinders are laying - so they are in horizontal position - 3 cylinders - normally steam engines had cylinders always in vertical position. It is most probably only one such engine in UK and maybe even one in Europe.

So for today the main point is to save these 6 very interesting units what I described to you. It is rather urgent task. Time is running and there is no time to lose. Other way we will lose a very important element in British maritime history - only one preserved steam engine with horizontal cylinders.

By the way - engine is still in perfect shape!

I hope our small report will help to all of you who dream about her "restoration" or "saving" to close that sad file. She was a beautiful vessel. What happened with her is a big shame. How we say in Poland: "It is to late to drink when milk is already on the floor"

Virtual tour http://www.bembridge.pl/bembridge.html

All about her http://www.bembridge.pl
Old 5th January 2011, 21:09

what an intersting write up about the ps ryde,a very honest and well written assesment of the ship and whats left and whats worth saving.a great shame but there is no money out there at the moment for this type of project.
Old 6th January 2011, 08:25

Interesting Rafal thank you for sharing. To be honest though your report is not really a surprise and was nothing we didn't already know. Only a very few persons in denial of the Ryde's condition purseued talk of salvage which was cringeworthy nonesense.
The Ryde was a dead duck from the moment she arrived at Binfield as stated by her Captain Eric Yealland who said she would fall to bits where she lay. A Captain knows his ship and probably he's looking down from above saying 'I told you so!'
Old 7th January 2011, 21:50

My location
Hello Stevo,

Yes, I know that I did not discover "an America" - it was just my simple reaction for all what I found visiting her. As far as I know not so many guys can visit her today inside. Additionally not everybody can see her. I am afraid to that her engine will be demolished too - and it will be a great pity.

Dear Dave, thanks for your nice comment.

Lets hope something will be saved from her.

Best greeting Rafal

Virtual tour http://www.bembridge.pl/bembridge.html

All about her http://www.bembridge.pl
Old 27th June 2011, 13:56
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Electrician
Active: 1966 - 2010

ryde's engine

how about a heavy lift exercise for the NATO engineers? that would so them some good in terms of public relations and they probably have the necessary equipment already.
Old 27th June 2011, 15:05

That's a noble gesture and perhaps we can get a breakers yard willing to recycle the ship and do their bit for the environment!