Globtik Tankers - Ships Nostalgia
07:18

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Globtik Tankers

User Tag List

Old 22nd March 2007, 10:12

Globtik Tankers

Hi Group,

I'm trying to find anyone who sailed on the Globtik Tokyo and Globtik London.. I sailed on both during the late 70's and had a great time. Alos looking for any photos of them for my collection.

Regards,

Ken
Old 22nd March 2007, 10:19

You can see the Globtik London on Auker Visser’s site “Supertankers” http://supertankers.topcities.com/id69.htm. and then when you are there you can look at the Globtik Tokyo also, by clicking on the ulcc-tankers link

" For those in peril of the sea ......."
Old 22nd March 2007, 10:29

I sailed with a couple of lads off these vessels, Davy Burns, Sunderland & Billy Potts, Newcastle. Cap't West was teaching at South Shields College in 92. I still see Davy now & again,he is now a cook offshore.
Old 22nd March 2007, 10:54
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings sipsoo to the site. Enjoy what you see and join in. Bon voyage.
Old 22nd March 2007, 22:45
gadgee gadgee is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1966 - 1979

Sipsoo

Do a gallery search for "globtik" on the SN website - it will bring up at least 3 photos including mine:-

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...dgee/mcats/503

Last edited by gadgee; 22nd March 2007 at 22:49..
Old 12th April 2007, 11:28

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipsoo View Post
Hi Group,

I'm trying to find anyone who sailed on the Globtik Tokyo and Globtik London.. I sailed on both during the late 70's and had a great time. Alos looking for any photos of them for my collection.

Regards,

Ken
Hi Ken,

I sailed on them both from 1976 onwards until they went under the Japanese flag, as Second Mate. I've got a few photos at home including some of the lads (one memorable one of George Simpson Ch Eng - from Southport - doing his party piece of drinking a beer while standing on his head!) At the moment I'm in Kakakhstan, but when I get back home I'll see what I can dig out.

I remember many of the names - I seem to recall another Chief Engineer called Ken but the family name escapes me. I have kept in touch periodically with John Latka (Chief Mate on the big ones) and Malcom George (Second Mate). I would like to know what happened to Pete Mills.

I sailed with a Third Engineer who according to a magazine article my wife spotted, is now inside for murdering his wife on St Anne's beach, (I'm not saying his name here just in case I got it wrong!)

Kieth Marsh was a Chief Steward - last I heard was that he was running a chippy down south.

A Bosun (CPO officially), Frankie Cobb was a real diamond - he helped me out immensely when I was promoted to Chief Mate on the Windsor a couple of years later.

Who could forget "Bushy and Potts"?

Could go on all day - they were great ships and a lot of good shipmates.

Take care,

Paul.
Old 12th April 2007, 14:13

Thumbs up

welcome aboard luigi see youve started with nice thread plenty more i hope
Bobby(Glasgow)
Old 1st May 2007, 17:49

Bill Rhatigan

I spent a couple of very enjoyable years on the Globtik Tokyo and London, I also spent a less enjoyable time on the Venus!
I sailed as a junior engineer from 77 to about 79, when both of the big ships were handed over to the japanese.
I would like to make contact with anyone who remenbers me, a long time ago I know, but I do remenber, Jim Smith Chief Engineer, and Wally Bennet, Junior Engineer, Regards
Old 23rd May 2007, 12:39

Globtik

I sailed as 2/0 on both the London and Tokyo in the 70's also a trip on the Venus with T West. Thing's I remember during those times are:-

people & events I Remember :-
John Latka:- I remember him doing a Flintstones routine for a fancy dress night.
Keith Marsh:- Compare at a "Take Your Pick" show in crew bar. Also attended my wedding.
T Bags & Bushy & Crew Bar :- The Legionaires song in crew bar and people waving white tissues.
Cpt McClean.
Cpt Sadler, & his wife Trish who always sailed with him.
The Cat :- Crew once dyed it pink.
The Dog :- Used to drink beer in bar, and had it's own lifejacket.
The Agent in Kagoshima Ho-San, and times ashore at hotel in Kagoshima.
Marshall an Engineer.
A Sparky :- He used to appear at fancy dress do's in fantastic costumes, appeared once as Hitler and also once as a famous old cricketer.
The nuclear powered USS Thruxton taking off an Engineer in Indian Ocean, who was suffering from a head injury.
Parting of the SBM mooring rope on Globtik Tokyo in Gulf ,also parted loading hose.
The Big "T" teashirts.
Calling past Christmas island on a slow, slow, trip to Japan.

I've a few pictures somewhere of those days.
Old 5th June 2007, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheddy View Post
LMAO!!! That's hilarious. Although nowdays, PETA or somebody would try to nail you guys for animal cruelty or some such thing. I remember seeing a picture of Globtik Tokyo in National geographic and thinking it was just the coolest thing ever, to my 7 year old self. It's amazing, and kind of sad that that ship didn't even last 15 years. She probably had quite a bit of life left in her at the end
Old 8th June 2007, 19:57

Question

One guy that I remember fondly was Peter Mills. Anyone know what he's doing now?
Old 10th July 2007, 12:53

Quote:
Hi Group,

Regards,

Ken
Hi KEN
MY HUSBAND ALLAN SAILED WITH GLOBTIK AROUND THE 70'S ON BOTH GIANTS, PLEASE TELL ME WHERE I CAN GET A GOOD PHOTO FROM AS I AM COMPILING AN ALBUM FOR HIM (A SURPRISE) AS GLOBTIK IS AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN HIS FIRST LOVE, (I CANNOT COMPETE WITH THOSE BIG BEAUTIES)
GO WELL
NOREEN
Old 10th July 2007, 13:22

HI THERE
NAME ALLAN FEELEY SAILED ON BOTH TOKYO AND LONDON IN THE 70's i WAS ON THE SHIP WHEN THE GUY WITH THE HEAD INJURY WAS TAKEN OFF
i ALSO REMEMBER THE PINK CAT IT WAS THE CAPTAINS WIFE'S CAT AS I REMEMBER, I ALSO REMEMBER AN INCIDENT WHEN ONE OF THE CREW MEMBERS LOST HIS BOTTLE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEA, WENT A BIT CRAZY STOOD ON THE HULL OPENED HIS ARMS AND WITHIN MINUTES WAS COVERED WITH LITTLE BIRDS, VERY WEIRD, HE WAS TAKEN OFF SHIP VERY QUICKLY, YES THERE WERE A GOOD BUNCH OF GUYS I HAVE MANY HAPPY MEMORIES OF THOSE SHIPS AND THE FRIENDS I MADE
Old 13th August 2007, 04:10

My father sailed on both in the 70's, Norman Coyne, and I have heard the stories of the pink cat, the appearance of the Thruxton and a whole lot more. He emigrated to Australia in the mid 80's but returned to England about 10 years ago. If anyone would like his contact details feel free to get in touch with me and I'll pass them along.

Last edited by Daniel Coyne; 13th August 2007 at 04:13..
Old 5th November 2007, 12:29

Quote:
Hi Group,

Regards,

Ken
Hi Ken,
I sailed as Junior Eng on the Tokyo and London from about 77 and was on the London when we handed over to the Japanese on the last British flag voyage.
I also have good memories of the bid ships, although I also had the misfortune to sail on the Venus as well. I have some photos, but only those which are on the web anyway.
I hope this helps, let me know what you think

Regards
Bill Rhatigan
Old 5th November 2007, 12:31

Hi Ken,
I sailed as Junior Eng on the Tokyo and London from about 77 and was on the London when we handed over to the Japanese on the last British flag voyage.
I also have good memories of the bid ships, although I also had the misfortune to sail on the Venus as well. I have some photos, but only those which are on the web anyway.

Regards
Bill Rhatigan
Old 19th December 2007, 16:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheddy View Post
I sailed as 2/0 on both the London and Tokyo in the 70's also a trip on the Venus with T West. Thing's I remember during those times are:-

people & events I Remember :-
John Latka:- I remember him doing a Flintstones routine for a fancy dress night.
Keith Marsh:- Compare at a "Take Your Pick" show in crew bar. Also attended my wedding.
T Bags & Bushy & Crew Bar :- The Legionaires song in crew bar and people waving white tissues.
Cpt McClean.
Cpt Sadler, & his wife Trish who always sailed with him.
The Agent in Kagoshima Ho-San, and times ashore at hotel in Kagoshima.
Marshall an Engineer.
A Sparky :- He used to appear at fancy dress do's in fantastic costumes, appeared once as Hitler and also once as a famous old cricketer.
The nuclear powered USS Thruxton taking off an Engineer in Indian Ocean, who was suffering from a head injury.
Parting of the SBM mooring rope on Globtik Tokyo in Gulf ,also parted loading hose.
The Big "T" teashirts.
Calling past Christmas island on a slow, slow, trip to Japan.

I've a few pictures somewhere of those days.
Wow...

I remember all of that... the bog's name was biscute if my memory serves me right...

remember the ship being stopped and the whole crew played it's a knock out.. what a day that was...

Ken
Old 20th December 2007, 08:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELUN00001 View Post
Hi KEN
MY HUSBAND ALLAN SAILED WITH GLOBTIK AROUND THE 70'S ON BOTH GIANTS, PLEASE TELL ME WHERE I CAN GET A GOOD PHOTO FROM AS I AM COMPILING AN ALBUM FOR HIM (A SURPRISE) AS GLOBTIK IS AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN HIS FIRST LOVE, (I CANNOT COMPETE WITH THOSE BIG BEAUTIES)
GO WELL
NOREEN
Hi Noreen,

I have about 16 pictures of both ships if you are interested.. likewise if you have come across any I would love a copy.

Regards

Ken
Old 31st December 2007, 14:03

Cpt Sadler, & his wife Trish ended up living in Ras Tanura (actually Najmah - the Aramco expat housing complex) - Ian Sadler became a Juaymah pilot where I also worked alongside him. Both ships were frequent visitors to Juaymah/Ras Tanura. It was sad to see these grand ships once they passed to the Japanese - the deck maintenance fell off and cosmetically they declined.
Old 15th January 2008, 22:56

Stan Pascoe

Hi, Im trying to trace my grandfather, he was called stanley pascoe, Who I believe was a chief engineer or even a super for globtik tankers back in the 70's.
Due to my Grandparents divorcing, I have never met him. I would like to find any information that could lead me to find him.
Many Thanks
Janine Pascoe
Old 5th February 2008, 10:29

Hello Janine, Sorry but the name does not ring a bell , I hope someone else may be able to help you and good luck with your search.
Old 9th February 2008, 12:11

i was on the maiden voyage of the tokyo with a great gang of geordies the bosun was frank cobb
Old 19th February 2008, 07:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rhatigan View Post
Hi Ken,

Regards
Bill Rhatigan
Helllo Bill

If I remember rightly I sailed with you on the Albright boats after Globtik made you redundant I would have been 2nd Mate, now living in New Zealand, if you remember back to those wondrous vessels send me an email

Wally
Old 18th May 2008, 17:36

My location
Can any one from Globtik London/Toyko tell me the funnel marking and colours cheers
seemore
Old 19th May 2008, 08:13

My location
Seemore,

See Auke Vissers site for photographs of the two Globtik ULCCs :-

http://supertankers.topcities.com/id57.htm
http://supertankers.topcities.com/id69.htm

The photographs show the funnel marking quite clearly.

Dave