Zapata/Offshore Marine - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
07:30

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Zapata/Offshore Marine

User Tag List

Old 15th September 2010, 23:17

Cool Drillingship (Zapata) Navigator

I was 2'mate on the Navigator back in 1975, want to know more?
have a "look" at my webpage: www.eyde.nl/homepage/navigator.html
Old 9th February 2011, 14:54
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1982 - 2010

My location
Zapata 1976-77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj b View Post
Hi DenisM, I was also with Zapata 1975/79 as AB/2ND Mate my 1st V/L was the Valiant Service/Titan & Milano, I was no the Valiant when she catch fire in the Baycay & abandoned ship homeward bound from Barcelona. I see that you where on both Regal/Royal Service, I was C/O on the Ocean Service 91 in Onne Port 91 she was an maintainers V/L then, unfortunately I did forget to take my camera with me hench I did not get any photos of the ship,I do remember the Regal & Royal both in Gt Yarmouth in the 70's as pipe-Carrier's,& I am wondering if u can help me with photos of the V/L. Thank you
jj b
Hi there, i was a dekhand on several supply ships from the Zapata companie in 1976 and 1977. I have sailed on the Viking Service from Den Helder and the Titan Service from Ymuiden (Holland).
We worked for the Heerema barges. I still have some pictures of these ships, also from te Regal, Hudson and Scandia Service.
The first mate on the Viking whas Ben Dick from Hull and the captain Taffie Jennings from Lowestoft.
Regards from Den Helder
Old 21st October 2011, 13:44
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ JollyJack View Post
Hi Guys,

I was on the "Striat Shore" in Port Gentil for two trips in"79 then on the "Pacific Shore" and "Viking Shore" '80 then back to the "Pacific Shore/Service" as it was Zapped. I was 3rd Engieer. I still Remember the beer "REGAB" I think Hell it was awful.

Cheers, from JollyJack

Aka. Kiwi also Geoff Chowles
Geoff,

I remember you well, Island Shore Trinidad, C/E was anchors Harvey Capt Butch Wooltorton, Canadian AB's, a good laugh all round.

Tony
Old 21st October 2011, 16:29

25 years ago flew to Doula to do a job for Zapata the job was to make some rig moorings from a Reel of 52mm wire, with the help of the crew of the ship that the reel was on we measured various lenths of wire cut then had to put sockets on the ends 30 sockets in all.
From photo's I have I can make out Lavica Seahorse,Laguna Sea???,the finished wire moorings was taking away by the Cape Service.
Old 16th April 2012, 09:08
Active: 1957 - 1965

steamship?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Martin View Post
25 years ago flew to Doula to do a job for Zapata the job was to make some rig moorings from a Reel of 52mm wire, with the help of the crew of the ship that the reel was on we measured various lenths of wire cut then had to put sockets on the ends 30 sockets in all.
From photo's I have I can make out Lavica Seahorse,Laguna Sea???,the finished wire moorings was taking away by the Cape Service.
Are you sure it was Douala? The Lavaca,Laguna and Trinity were all
ex Charlie Slater Europirate boats and were identical almost with MWM engines. They were all based in Cabinda. Maybe Zapata moved them after I left. They were getting pretty much worn out then. Was
Harry Harrison the Port Captain there where you were?
Old 12th July 2013, 11:29
Organisation: Tugs
Department: Deck
Active: 1979 - Present

I have pictures of 99% of all the old OSM , Zapata and Tidewater vessels , been collecting them for 20 plus years , drop me an email if your looking for any.

[email protected]
Old 17th August 2013, 12:05

I have just posted 1982 fleet list for Zapata,on main page, use word Zapata. It should come up..
Old 1st December 2013, 18:04
Active: 1964 - 1970

My name is Mike Broyhill, I guess I go way back, I started was with Henderson Marine Service, out of Morgan City, LA in 1964. Henderson Marine Service was shortly there after aquired by Zapata. I worked Port Harcourt, Escavos, Burutu, Warri, and Alexandria, Eygpt (just after the 6 day war). I notice Don Robb's name mentioned he and I worked to gether for about a year in Port Harcourt. Don was Tee Totaler, so I had to make up for his lack of consumption. We were just kids at the time, I think I was 23, and Don was about the same. Great times long ago. I was Mate on Rio Service. and Engineer on the following: Eastern Service, M/V Margery. M/V William Hollis, Coastal Service, Gulf Service.............Seriously doubt if any of these are still in service. Also did a stint with Western Geo. in Port Gentile and the Camarroons.....This was on the Western Beacon....recorder boat........

Last edited by mmga74; 1st December 2013 at 18:08..
Old 1st December 2013, 18:31
Active: 1960 - 2007

Fred Ditty

So sorry to read Fred has passed away. He sailed with me as C/E on various occasions, both in Sicily and Tunisia.
Regret that this mail is somewhat late but have only just seen the mail.
Old 1st December 2013, 19:14
Active: 1969 - Present

Zapata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Dunn View Post
After I left deep sea I ventured into the oil rig support industry. I was very fortunate to be posted to the Gabon where the sea is almost always calm. Do you know if there any photos of these supply boats in the gallery? I had a happy time on these vessels. I once remember having lunch and thinking I was in Kings Cross Station but one of the Offshore Marine boats had come alongside, she was fitted with a twin crankshaft English Electric diesel, same as railway locos.
Derek
Try this link it is the best I found .http://www.skipsfarts-forum.net/read.php?TID=9964

If the women dont find you handsome at least they can find you handy.
Old 1st December 2013, 19:32

morgan city

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmga74 View Post
My name is Mike Broyhill, I guess I go way back, I started was with Henderson Marine Service, out of Morgan City, LA in 1964. Henderson Marine Service was shortly there after aquired by Zapata. I worked Port Harcourt, Escavos, Burutu, Warri, and Alexandria, Eygpt (just after the 6 day war). I notice Don Robb's name mentioned he and I worked to gether for about a year in Port Harcourt. Don was Tee Totaler, so I had to make up for his lack of consumption. We were just kids at the time, I think I was 23, and Don was about the same. Great times long ago. I was Mate on Rio Service. and Engineer on the following: Eastern Service, M/V Margery. M/V William Hollis, Coastal Service, Gulf Service.............Seriously doubt if any of these are still in service. Also did a stint with Western Geo. in Port Gentile and the Camarroons.....This was on the Western Beacon....recorder boat........

Hi Mike,
I worked out of Morgan City with Seahorse till they went under. Lived there after getting married. I was Port Engineer/ Manager with them.
I remember a Dave Robb from Fraserburgh who was Port engineer with Zapata in Cabinda.
Old 1st December 2013, 21:52
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Any of you chaps remember Allan Atack ; worked on the ships for Geoff Guest for a while as Chief Engineer .
Old 20th January 2014, 17:13

Don Robb or Dave Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Hi Mike,
I worked out of Morgan City with Seahorse till they went under. Lived there after getting married. I was Port Engineer/ Manager with them.
I remember a Dave Robb from Fraserburgh who was Port engineer with Zapata in Cabinda.
It was Done Robb that I worked with, he was never port Mgr, or port Eng that I know of. I left the oil and gas boats in 1971 and he was still running the Service Boats. Don't remember which one though.
Old 20th January 2014, 17:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Hi Mike,
Another name from this era Danny Williams. He was an Eng., and I think he went on to being a Port Mgr. in various place, not sure just where.
Old 5th September 2014, 01:06
Active: 1961 - 2009

I was Engineer on Navigator when we were drilling off Western Australia in the early seventies.
"Six" Shuffler was toolpusher and Dave Dalyrimple was Master. Other names are lost in the fog of time (old age). We had quite a few cyclone evacuations during my time there which were great fun. I remember once when the supply boats (Smit Lloyd) had bolted and the Indian chopper jockey refused to land as it was too rough. "Hank the Yank" the mad Vietnam vet came out with one of those old beat up Wessexes slammed it down on the chopper platform, 12 of us piled into it and Hank hopped it to the edge of the platform and over the edge to get enough lift to take off. Rules were very slack in those days, but work was a lot more fun.
Old 23rd October 2014, 21:59

Phil

Were you on the Cumbria Service in Trinidad around 1996 and afterwards in Mexico?
Old 28th October 2014, 20:37

Ah, Trini..what a great posting! As you mentioned, we ended up in Mexico.
Then it was Thailand. Singapore and Indonesia, and a spell in Egypt. Been retired now 13 years. Still moderately socially drinking, but with the aid of the monthly bag of goodies from the quacks. Best rgds to you Ed.
Old 29th December 2014, 11:12
Active: 1960 - 2007

Hi There,
Anyone heard of either Don Munday(Mundy?) or Ray Hatch,both used to work for Offshore Marine/Zapata
Old 1st February 2015, 20:28
Active: 1970 - 1999

Offshore Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Dunn View Post
After I left deep sea I ventured into the oil rig support industry. I was very fortunate to be posted to the Gabon where the sea is almost always calm. Do you know if there any photos of these supply boats in the gallery? I had a happy time on these vessels. I once remember having lunch and thinking I was in Kings Cross Station but one of the Offshore Marine boats had come alongside, she was fitted with a twin crankshaft English Electric diesel, same as railway locos.
Hello Derek. I worked with Offshore marine in the 70s. How things with you Shipmate. How are things in gods country /

Stewart Abbott from Burnley lancs

Mob 07526735080

Best Regards
Old 1st February 2015, 20:55
Active: 1970 - 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpitcher View Post
Ch Mate on Viking Shore, Skipper on North Shore, Fastnet Shore, Orkney Shore, Paramount Service.

Who is Howardang? We must have been together in Pauillac - I saw your post mentioning your year on the Gironde with Fastnet Shore & Cromarty Shore - I was skipper on Fastnet for the rig move out of there to Gijon, Spain (it was my first rigmove)
Hi there . The rig move at Gijon, was that rig the MEDUSA . The tow was through the straights to Barcelona. My name Stewart Abbott A.B.

Regards and Best Wishes
Old 20th February 2015, 14:28
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1962 - 1979

I worked for Delta Systems out of Warri and serviced, (radio/radar) several of the Zapata boats in that area. The Zapata port captain lived in the ground floor of the house and there were frequent visitors off the vessels. I cannot recollect one name although I seem to remember there were many Geordies although the port engineer was from Leeds. This was at the time of, and just after, the Biafran war.
Old 4th October 2015, 19:38

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burned Toast View Post
My mistake Tidewater purchased Zapata.

Ray
The whole compamy started out as "Marine Service", which was purchased by Zapata, which was picked up by Tidwater. I started with Marine Sevice out of Morgan City, LA. The ended up in W. Africa, Nigeria for the most part, also Port Gentile, and Duoalla. Later I was mate on th eRio Service in Alexandria, Egypt. We were the firt US flag in Egypt after the "67 war.
Old 4th October 2015, 19:41

[QUOTE=mmga74;1661298]The whole compamy started out as "Marine Service", which was purchased by Zapata, which was picked up by Tidwater. I started with Marine Sevice out of Morgan City, LA. The ended up in W. Africa, Nigeria for the most part, also Port Gentile, and Duoalla. Later I was mate on the Rio Service in Alexandria, Egypt. We were the firt US flag in Egypt after the "67 war. This was in 1968 & 1969. Those were the old days, I was a youngster, 23 yrs old when I starte, I doubt if any of the od heads are still around.
Old 4th October 2015, 19:46

I remember Danny Williams quite well, He was about my age when I knew him in Port Harcourt...........I think he did become port Eng. either in Mexico or South America. We were just kids, it was different in those days
Old 6th October 2015, 20:42

Howardang w as Howard Anguish and he sailed together with David Grief that was a pretty crazy situation.