HMS Victoria - HMS Camperdown disaster 1893 - Ships Nostalgia
06:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

HMS Victoria - HMS Camperdown disaster 1893

User Tag List

Old 22nd May 2009, 03:30

HMS Victoria - HMS Camperdown disaster 1893

Hello

Any one here had an relative / ancestor on these two battleships which collided in the Med Sea 22nd June 1893 ?

My grandfather lost his life on HMS Victoria. He married at Floriana Malta GC in 1891. Had only one child, being my father.

Bill in Melbourne
Old 27th May 2009, 22:08

Hi Bill.

There is a lot on the collision and loss in The Times, if you're interested. If I remember rightly, there was a protracted exchange of views on the incident between senior naval officers in the newspaper, which I think hinged on navigation by eye versus navigation by plotting, instruments, etc. There is probably a roll of honour there somewhere too. If you're interested in copies, let me know. You're probably already aware of the book "Admirals In Collision" by Richard Hough. I have a copy of that somewhere.

regards,
Martin
Old 30th May 2009, 07:25

HMS Victoria - Camperdown

Hi Martin

Thanks for your post and offer of help.
I have tons of data on the 1893 disaster. I even went over to Malta during 1992 and copied many items from the local newspapers of July & August 1893.

I obtained a copy of a video about a documentary which was on Malta TV. This was made by Mr Victor Wickman who has a private Naval Museum near Zabbar in Malta. Has has a superb collection of Naval memorablia. Quite unbelieveable.
Anyone is welcome by appointment to his place and its free.

Unfortunately the video is in Maltese language.

Thanks. Bill.
Old 11th October 2015, 07:59

Rare print of the Victoria Camperdown collision for sale

Hi, I am just selling a rare late 19th C colour print of this event. Absolutely stunning picture. Follow this link to eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Early-mari...item4af220d8d7
Bruce
Old 11th October 2015, 09:54
Department: Deck

I posted this about the collision a while ago.

http://ahoy.tk-jk.net/macslog/Stupid...ndthenAdm.html