Birkenhead docks. - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
09:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Birkenhead docks.

User Tag List

Old 4th June 2018, 19:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lawson View Post
I can't remember it's real name but I seem to recall it was on Ilchester Square. On the left coming up from the dock after the station and just before the church on the round about. The agent attending the Ore carriers did not recommend it and we settled for the Pool Inn. It was closer.
The Blood Tub was once called The Graving Dock, then it was renamed The New Dock Hotel.
A friend of mine, Bob Cooke, working for MANWEB, (the local electricity board) was once sent there to deal with a power failure in the pub. When he returned to his van, parked outside, he found it ransacked and on it's roof. Without enquiring who dunnit, Bob just scarpered as fast as his legs would carry him.
Just another day in the North End of Birkenhead.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blood tub.jpg (20.7 KB, 16 views)
Old 4th June 2018, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by makko View Post
Wise words from the Agent, Ian! The North End was another world generally! I knew a few people from there and being from Leasowe, just over the Moss, it was OK. It filled my heart with joy to see, a few years back, that the entire estate had been razed.

Rgds.
Dave
Not quite the whole estate Dave.
There is one holdout who has absolutely refused to be moved. Although being offered his choice of any available council house in the whole of Wirral, and large sums of compensation, this herbert, who is the original awkward customer has dug in his heels and refused to budge. His is the middle terraced house of the three remaining houses in Ilchester Rd. They can't demolish the properties on either side because his house would fall down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nort End holdout.jpg (62.1 KB, 38 views)
Old 4th June 2018, 20:34
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
The Blood Tub was once called The Graving Dock, then it was renamed The New Dock Hotel.
A friend of mine, Bob Cooke, working for MANWEB, (the local electricity board) was once sent there to deal with a power failure in the pub. When he returned to his van, parked outside, he found it ransacked and on it's roof. Without enquiring who dunnit, Bob just scarpered as fast as his legs would carry him.
Just another day in the North End of Birkenhead.
HA HA HA! The beloved North End! Now more myth than reality (thankfully!).
Old 4th June 2018, 20:35
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
I think that if the ship was in drydock, it would have been Bidston Graving Dock, perhaps quarter of a mile from Bidston Dock, and in an area bereft of hotels or cinemas of any description, just a few mean and blood spattered pubs which nobody in their right mind would enter.
It looks like The Queens Hotel alongside the Gaumont, in Park Rd East, opposite the majestic gateway to Birkenhead park, is the most likely answer.
That was my first thought - I concur with Pat. Maybe the vessel was in Lairds?
Old 4th June 2018, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lawson View Post

A considerable distance from Birkenhead I would suggest. There is one (possibly others) located in Melling outside Liverpool and not what one would describe as a dockside pub.
Thanks for the memory Ian I lived for a short time in Melling,late 60s early 70s. On a summers evening often walked up to Bootle Arms.made a change from the Horse & Jockey,I think the area was actually called Melling Rock.
Old 4th June 2018, 20:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by john richards View Post
Here`s another one for you Pat Do you remember The Laskar Seamen of the Anchor Boats Humping Bikes And Sewing machines down Exmouth Street and Back to their Ship Where was The Anchor Line Berth ?
I do indeed, as a schoolboy commuting from Wallasey to Birkenhead every day by push bike I saw lots of Lascars ashore, not just from Anchor Line, but from the Clan Line and others crewed by Lascars, They always walked in single file, never two abreast, carrying their swag from the local junk shops,
One offered me a fat hand rolled cigarette once while standing waiting for a train to cross the level crossing at Duke St. Not knowing anything about smoking dope in those far off innocent days, I said, "no thanks"
Old 4th June 2018, 22:28

Thank you, Pat.

I grew up thinking that the men from Anchor Line, Clan Line, City Line, Brock's, Bibby's etc etc were a permanent feature of the landscape. I wish. It all seemed so completely natural, proper, commercial, global, geographical and right.

What privilege to have known such times! We are now just another corner of this septic isle.
Old 4th June 2018, 22:51

And when Julie Andrews sang something about "Brown paper packages, tied up with string" I thought, "So what? How else would you tie up a brown paper package?"

Quelle change!!
Old 5th June 2018, 09:17

My location
The real name of the Blood Tub was the New Dock Hotel
Old 5th June 2018, 10:53
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1993

Always ask the agent. A 10 minute walk into Liscard (Wallasey) was worthwhile with many respectable family pubs.
Old 5th June 2018, 12:04
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1957 - 1967

Thanks Pat, and your picture of the park gates looks familiar.

I also recall the was a United Molasses plant across from the Graving Dock
Old 5th June 2018, 13:25

My Dad worked for Clan Line at Vittoria Dock and told me the one in front has the money.
Old 5th June 2018, 13:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermc View Post
Thanks for the memory Ian I lived for a short time in Melling,late 60s early 70s. On a summers evening often walked up to Bootle Arms.made a change from the Horse & Jockey,I think the area was actually called Melling Rock.
my sister worked as a part time barmaid at the bootle arms for many years and we lived on the edge of maghul so walked up rock lane to the pub .melling rock was right
Old 8th June 2018, 00:57
Department: Navigation
Active: 1958 - 2015

The attached photo shows the turn off from Corporation Road to the Vittoria Wharf where the Brocks ships loaded.
It looks like the photo was taken in the 1950's based on the cars behind the horse drawn lorry. This is where I went to sea for the first time on the Mahanada.
Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34411831_1791895914236557_7373436563411173376_n[2].jpg (76.5 KB, 50 views)
Old 8th June 2018, 16:41

Thank you for that, Supergoods.

The tall building in the background is surely the Royal Duke pub,between Duke Street and Duke Street Bridge; and the horse-drawn wagon in the foreground is turning into the next gateway to the west. Was this a gateway for the 87 ton Crane Berth?

Memory plays dreadful tricks; and a photographic record is a wonderful thing, telling us much of the chronology of events. I agree that it looks like the 1950s.

The turn for Vittoria Wharf was surely at the Royal Duke?

Last edited by Barrie Youde; 8th June 2018 at 16:46..
Old 8th June 2018, 17:25
Active: 1958 - 2015

The Duke is behind the camera which is looking towards Canning Street and the Four Bridges.
This entry way went across the bridge at the entrance to Vittoria Dock and then turned left between the sheds to run up towards the Duke Street Bridge. This was a secure entry, hence the policeman on the gate.
Old 8th June 2018, 19:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergoods View Post
The Duke is behind the camera which is looking towards Canning Street and the Four Bridges.
This entry way went across the bridge at the entrance to Vittoria Dock and then turned left between the sheds to run up towards the Duke Street Bridge. This was a secure entry, hence the policeman on the gate.

That is correct Supergoods, the photo shows the entrance to Vittoria Dock at Vittoria St. The pub in the distance is The Dolphin.
On entering that gate, ahead of you was the bridge across Vittoria Dock entrance, which led to the Clan Line berths, and onward to the East Float side of Vittoria Dock. To the right, Cathcart St berth, and to the left the Blue Funnel Berths at Vittoria Dock.

Last edited by Pat Kennedy; 9th June 2018 at 08:59..
Old 8th June 2018, 19:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Youde View Post

Thank you for that, Supergoods.

The tall building in the background is surely the Royal Duke pub,between Duke Street and Duke Street Bridge; and the horse-drawn wagon in the foreground is turning into the next gateway to the west. Was this a gateway for the 87 ton Crane Berth?

Memory plays dreadful tricks; and a photographic record is a wonderful thing, telling us much of the chronology of events. I agree that it looks like the 1950s.
The turn for Vittoria Wharf was surely at the Royal Duke?

Barrie, the 87 ton crane was situated in the West Float,at Cavendish Quay.
Do you recall the Hoveringham dredgers discharging just around there in the 60s and 70s? Well that's where the 87 ton crane was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87 ton crane.jpg (8.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 9th June 2018, 12:07
Active: 1959 - 1977

My memories of my Ellerman days in Birkenhead were the Penny Bridge and the pretty nurses at Clatterbridge Hospital.
Does anybody have a plan of those docks, would be interested to see where we tied up?
Old 9th June 2018, 15:59

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Taylor View Post
My memories of my Ellerman days in Birkenhead were the Penny Bridge and the pretty nurses at Clatterbridge Hospital.
Does anybody have a plan of those docks, would be interested to see where we tied up?
Hello, Michael. A map and some fine images here: http://www.benjidog.co.uk/Geoff%20To...irkenhead.html
regards
Harry
Old 9th June 2018, 17:06

#66 , 67 & 68

Very many thanks, Chaps.

All is now clear.

I must have had a very sheltered life as I know nothing of the Dolphin pub!
Old 9th June 2018, 19:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Taylor View Post
Hi Michael,
I worked at Ellerman ships berthed at Nos 3 and 5 West Float many times in the late 60s and early 70s, when Ellermans ran a joint service to East Africa with T & J Harrison.
Attached is a satellite image of the area, the two berths in question are in the lower left centre of the image just opposite Gilbrook Basin. As you can see, Bidston Dock has been filled in and is just a wilderness, and the only ships in sight are two RFAs in lay up, Fort Austin to the left, and ' I think, Black Rover to the right, (now gone for scrap).
I think the image is about a year old.
Regards,
Pat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg West FGloat.jpg (261.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 9th June 2018, 22:32
Active: 1968 - 2009

The ship to the right is\was RFA Diligence and yes it has been scrapped
Old 10th June 2018, 12:27
Active: 1959 - 1977

Thanks all for the maps and info....they were happy times.