Sliding Tween Deck Panels on Cora Class - Ships Nostalgia
10:17

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Sliding Tween Deck Panels on Cora Class

User Tag List

Old 21st April 2019, 14:27
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 2009

Sliding Tween Deck Panels on Cora Class

Can anyone remember the name of the sliding tween deck panels that featured in Nos 3, 4 and 5 hatches on the Cora Class? I think they were called something like MacGregor Ermin (or Ermen) hatches.

Also can anyone remember what the point load of those panels was?

My memories of them is anything but good - always sticking (particularly after a bulk cargo like sugar), never pulled evenly on both sides and when someone greased (a big no-no) the drive wires the electric motor in the leading panels would overload!

Any help would be appreciated if only to satisfy the curiosity of an ancient brain!

I did try to put this subject on the Bank Line Nostalgia website as well but it refused to upload the post.
Old 21st April 2019, 18:52
Active: 1959 - 2007

My location
They were Ermen hatches, Waighty. One of the many revulsion memories of the Cora class. Can't help you with the tech details, but they did a mean shuffle with a forklift truck on them. We were told NEVER to put a fork lift on them. Tell that to a Super in a hurry. (Same as Never override the cranes in tandem, Never bull in containers, Etc). Good point, they are all gone.
Old 22nd April 2019, 06:58

I sailed on a couple of P&O ships with Erman tween decks and experienced similar problems, they were a pain. From what I can remember they were only in the lower tween decks which were quite low, being designed for cars. I think the idea was that you could open or close the tween deck as much or as little as you liked giving you flexibility. We never carried bulk cargo with them, that must have been fun!

regards
Dave
Old 22nd April 2019, 09:35
Active: 1973 - Present

The only time the dammed things worked properly was if you'd had a cargo of palm kernels which seemed to help them slide along. Many a long day was spent trying to get them working!
Old 22nd April 2019, 14:18

Readers will observe that Ermen Sliding Panels (thanks China Hand for putting me right) played a big part in my Bank Line career (I didn't know P&O had them too Pilot Mac). In fact if I was superstitious I might believe that the Gods meant me to be cursed by them! I'll give two more tales of woe regarding the b*****s:

Following on from mine and other posts, the worst case of greased drive wires was on Moraybank where apart from the motor trying to burn itself out, the absence of fork lifts to assist and a very limited time to achieve the goal before loading started we had to resort to the time honoured method of "necessity being the mother of invention"; in short we chucked a load of sawdust over the wires and drive unit and lo and behold it worked - for a limited period anyway. Much time was spent some weeks into the trip of clearing it all up and degreasing the drive wires. Such sweet memories (I jest).

Corabank in Melbourne 1975, I was 2nd Mate waiting for the end of 'twilights' so I could get ashore and meet up with a 'local friend', even though it would be late in the day. The gang working at No4 finished early and I went below to close the tween deck Ermens on the stbd side starting with the for'd set of panels. While standing on the narrow wing with finger on the button the Mate called down to discuss something which I now forget. I leaned out and looked up as the conversation started and I could hear the rumbling behind me indicating that the panels were moving slowly aft towards the centre. Suddenly the Mate called out STOP, so I let go of the button but it was too late. When I turned round it was like a slow motion film - the panels on the inboard side had parted company with the coaming runway and were hanging precariously by the drive wire and the intact outboard arrangement, the various connecting pieces were coming apart and the sliding ratcheted travelling bar had gone into the lower hold! In short a complete disaster. Needless to say my quick escape ashore didn't happen, I made lifelong friends of the available cadets and deck crew - not really of course, they were far from pleased at having limited 'off' time brought to a sudden end. However, by about 0200 we had it all back in position and it actually worked. Not something I would like to repeat.

Last edited by Waighty; 22nd April 2019 at 14:47..
Old 22nd April 2019, 17:18

I only came across them on a class of ship built for BI in about 1970/2 on the Tyne. The four ships were Manora, Merkara, Morvada and Mulbera, they all became 'Strath......' shortly after. Looks like the Corabank class were built around the same time, must have been a job lot!

regards
Dave
Old 22nd April 2019, 18:46
Active: 1959 - 2007

My location
I can still remember the animal yelps of a forklift driver (me) as the wheels spun, the shuffleboards parted, the machine went boink but didn't go down the new gap which luckilly was almost full loaded.
We used telfor winches (I think thats what they are called) to pull the panels back that time.
Ah, memories...
Old 22nd April 2019, 22:36

Was only 3 and 5 tween decks. No.4 had the hydraulic lids. Never looked at point loads, by time I was mate all loading was done in Sydney and never had to check. Always trouble but always ended up OK. Could try the new Bankline site in Link-in (I think). Need to join then type in Bankline and should get into the group.
Old 23rd April 2019, 14:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by China hand View Post
I can still remember the animal yelps of a forklift driver (me) as the wheels spun, the shuffleboards parted, the machine went boink but didn't go down the new gap which luckilly was almost full loaded.
We used telfor winches (I think thats what they are called) to pull the panels back that time.
Ah, memories...
They were called Tirfors Machines and very useful they were too. The only odd use of them I saw was when - again on Corabank - we drydocked in Barry (South Wales). In order to get us in the right position they used Tirfors to do the job, first time (and last) I ever saw them used for that purpose.
Old 23rd April 2019, 14:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusMatz View Post
Was only 3 and 5 tween decks. No.4 had the hydraulic lids. Never looked at point loads, by time I was mate all loading was done in Sydney and never had to check. Always trouble but always ended up OK. Could try the new Bankline site in Link-in (I think). Need to join then type in Bankline and should get into the group.
My memory must be bad! You're quite right, the Ermens were only in 3 and 5, I'd forgotten about the hydraulic ones in 4. Still not bad considering it was 40 odd years ago.

I'll see if I can find that site you mentioned.