Hello from the Adelaide Hills, South Australia. - Ships Nostalgia
23:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hello from the Adelaide Hills, South Australia.

User Tag List

Old 26th July 2019, 05:06

Smile Hello from the Adelaide Hills, South Australia.

Hi...!!! My name is David Banner and I attended West Norwood Technical College for 3 years from 1965 to get my ticket and also qualify for radar maintenance. Marconi Marine were after qualified people and I was employed by them in 1968. I really enjoyed life on the ships and being able to see a large part of the world and being very lucky to survive more than a few very bad storms, hurricanes, cyclones etc. In 1972, I was visited on one ship, in Newcastle, by the P & O Personnel Officer. He managed to persuade me to leave Marconi Marine and work for P & O Passenger Ships. He didn't need to do a lot of arm-twisting. I enjoyed P&O until late 1975 when I decided to leave and get a shore job. I ended up joining the South Australian Police Department in 1976. I retired in 2012. I found that more than a few of my sea-going experiences were helpful when becoming an active police officer. I have been a radio amateur since February 1965 and found that this really helped at college. Having learnt morse code was also a blessing...!!! I was granted an Australian Radio Amateur licence due to having been a qualified ship's Radio Officer. My callsign since 1975 is VK5NU. If you have managed to read all the way through this without dozing off, well done....! Cheers and 73, DavidB
Old 26th July 2019, 05:55
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1958 - 1970

Welcome to Ships Nostalgia David. Enjoy your membership!
Old 26th July 2019, 06:58

My location
Welcome aboard from Queensland enjoy the sight, at meet a few old Nate’s you sailed with.
Cheers
GWB
Old 26th July 2019, 07:30

Many thanks for your comment, GWB...!

I am sorry that I didn't mention where I was born or grew up.....I was born near Edinburgh....Rosyth, to be exact. Appears that we are related to Robert The Bruce, back through time.We eventually ended up living in Suffolk and Kent due to my dear old Dad being in the Royal Navy.
Old 26th July 2019, 08:00
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1969 - 1982

VK5NU: Very pleased to welcome a fellow Norwood Techie. I attended '67 to '69, but stayed with Marconi Marine for nearly 13 years. I will keep an ear out on the old Atalanta for you, although I can't send, no transmitter!
Old 26th July 2019, 08:10

Hi, Paul....! I wouldn't be surprised if we had bumped into each other at Norwood Tech...before I shot through to join up with Marconi Marine. Nice to hear from you and thanks for bringing back memories of the old Marconi Marine Atlanta receiver. On some ships, the equipment was not the best (I could be really rude...!). I also remember the old Oceanspan transmitter and that was what the college had for fault finding training. You'd remember that, along with the Atlanta receiver. Cheers, Dave/VK5NU
Old 27th July 2019, 00:09
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1969 - 1982

Yep, we had the same Oceanspan, under the tutelage of one Frank Mayoh, no less, in the old 'Cabin' building on Chapel Road, near the end up there. It was all valve then, including the Lifeguard, though I did do the Radar BOT ticket under Doug Tear in the main building at the end of the course: Hermes/Argus and Raymarc, all in the space of just 8 weeks, the shortest (so I'm told) course they'd ever done there.
Did you have Mr. Brzenski, the Polish tutor for waveguide theory? (That's always assuming you might have done the radar course). He was a great guy, as was the old morse tutor, Mr. Baxter, who I found out recently had passed away not long after I left the college.

No apologies for nostalgia here!

Happy days, those; and 73's to VK5NU from GRUA, the callsign of Shaw Savill's "Mayfield", (probably the happiest consistent memories of my time at sea on her) which is part of my radio room 'museum' here, up on a wooden plinth under a genuine radio room clock, with the (working) Atalanta there too, plus a Mimco 365B morse key, and a copy of ALRS Volume 1 for good measure, all of which, apart from the RX, gifted to me by another old Norwoodian, Bob McManamon, who is on site too.
Old 29th July 2019, 17:42

My location
Welcome from Cumbria.

Can't be too many members related to Spiderman

🙂