Marine art:QUEEN MARY/QUEEN MARY II - Ships Nostalgia
23:42

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Marine art:QUEEN MARY/QUEEN MARY II

User Tag List

Old 25th June 2004, 20:35

Marine art:QUEEN MARY/QUEEN MARY II

Alasdair MacFarlane was a marine artist whose scraperboard drawings of Clyde built ships appeared in the local evening paper during the 1950s.
This is a scan of one of his drawings,the Clyde steamer,and the original QUEEN MARY built in 1933 and renamed QUEEN MARY II to accommodate the Cunarder.
Both are still with us-the Cunarder of course at Long Beach and the Clyde steamer now a restaurant in London.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg QueenMaryII.jpg (60.4 KB, 89 views)
Old 28th July 2004, 21:32

Hi Fairfield,
Many a time we went on the QMII "doon the watter" from the Broomielaw to Rothesay. Other names I remember are the "Jeannie Deans" paddle wheeler and of course the perennial "Waverley". :thumb:

Last edited by georgem; 28th July 2004 at 21:41..
Old 29th July 2004, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgem
Hi Fairfield,
Many a time we went on the QMII "doon the watter" from the Broomielaw to Rothesay. Other names I remember are the "Jeannie Deans" paddle wheeler and of course the perennial "Waverley". :thumb:
Likewise.We used to holiday alternately at either Rothesay or Dunoon and one trip going or coming home was on QM II.JEANIE DEANS was by far the better paddler,WAVERLEY in my opinion being a poor imitation.Having said that,glad everything that/s happened to her since 1973.Pity JEANIE/s fortunes were not better.Must dig out a pic.
Old 29th July 2004, 23:22
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1946 - 1988

My location
Now that she's a restaurant in London did she have to give up the Name "Queen Mary 2" to accomodate the latest QM2 ?
Old 30th July 2004, 16:30

I believe that she reverted back to QUEEN MARY when she became a restaurant ship. Certainly the "2" was missing back in '94 when the attached photo was taken.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Queen Mary.jpg (73.9 KB, 73 views)
Old 30th July 2004, 17:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S
I believe that she reverted back to QUEEN MARY when she became a restaurant ship. Certainly the "2" was missing back in '94 when the attached photo was taken.
She actually went back to QM in 1977 but seems to have gained an Arabic 2 not Roman II for London.
Old 29th November 2004, 12:29

Can anyone imagine the ultimate insult that the new "pride of the British merchant navy" is built in France!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heavens, Nelson must be turning in his grave.
Cboots
Old 18th February 2005, 01:12

Pride Of The British Merchant Navy Built In France
What,s Nelson Going To Say When Royal Navy Builds Two Air Craft Carriers In France
Chris Littlehales
Old 18th February 2005, 01:42

Queen Mary 11 Might Fly The Red Duster But She American Owned
& The Captain Is British But There Wont Be To Many More Brits There
Old 18th February 2005, 01:47

Lets not count our chickens as yet on that, last I heard the modified designs had not been fully approved nor had the finance. No doubt by the time it all goes through (or if) and they get built they will be obsolete!!.