Ore Bulk Oil Carriers - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
15:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ore Bulk Oil Carriers

User Tag List

Old 6th May 2012, 16:28
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

You're not sitting on the fence then Andrew!

rgds

geoff
Old 6th May 2012, 17:45
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1974 - Present

Been there, done that thing, got the boilersuit wore it out crawling down the duct keel and got holes in it from caustic soda not retained by the oversize nitrile hatch seals. And did I mention No-Control? And why we had to fit the world's biggest Becker rudders because the brutes steered like a car with horrendous oversteer on a skid pan? And when we had fixed all those little issues, it was amazing how many things those ships could do - and all of them badly!
Old 6th May 2012, 18:22

My location
How can you get caustic soda in a duct keel caused by hatch seals ?.
Old 6th May 2012, 19:11

John,

You got lots of strange things down duct keels and from Lord knows where.
Dangerous places, I doubt I will ever go down and along one ever again.
A 7 OBO vet
regards |Malky
Old 6th May 2012, 22:26

My location
Me neither Malky, and I'm not one bit sorry. I'm a veteran of 8, but I was brave enough to do some of them several times.

Burmah Garnet (O/O) (In oil only)
Nordic Chieftain/Cast Heron/Helm (OBO) Oil/ore/coal/mobile homes!
Scandia Team (OBO) oil/ore/coal
London Team (OBO) coal/oil/ore
Friendly Ranger (OBO) Coal/oil
Friendly Carrier (OBO) Coal/ore/oil/animal feed
Stride (OBO) clean oil/black oil/ore/coal/fertiliser
Muirfield (OBO) in ore only - mercifully.

The mobile homes was a one off, but most of the other cargoes were more than once.

Last edited by randcmackenzie; 6th May 2012 at 22:29.. Reason: update
Old 7th May 2012, 00:47

I was on Cast Heron when she became Helm. We loaded tapioca in Thailand for Rotterdam. That was some cargo, weeks to load, covered in dust (everywhere and every thing) Last ship with Denholms, redundant Jun Chief Engineer. Well peed off, I binned all my Denholm News mags (regrettably)

oh well

regards

Malky
Old 9th May 2012, 12:17
Department: Navigation
Active: 1962 - 1993

I was what you would classify as a definite OBO man. My first experience of them was standing by the building of Norvegia team and Anglia Team in Gothenburg in the early 1970's. It was the perfect learn about OBO's experience. I sailed in Anglia Team as 2/0 on her maiden voyage. From that time forward I seldom got away from them sailing in several as Chief Mate then Master.
They were demanding on personnel - to say the least. They could almost drive you to the point of insanity due to persistent structural fracturing and the resultant inevitable contamination of ballast water. Very hard working ships, and contrary to what most people might think, it was the change over from coal back to oil which created most headaches especially if the cleaning of the holds after the last oil cargo had been not as good as desired.
On iron ore, (a high density cargo) they were subjected to extremely high stresses (particularly sheer forces) due to the practise of alternate hold loading. ie cargo in holds 1, 3, 5, 7 & 9 with 2, 4, 6, and 8 empty.
eg 10,000 tonnes in #1 Nil in #2 and 10000 tonnes in No 3. The sheer forces at the bulkheads between 1 and 2, and between 2 and 3 were always cause for concern, especially in heavy weather. Same story with the other holds.
The bulkhead at the aft end of No.9 separating the cargo spaces from machinery spaces was always the one which caused the greatest concern - for some reason the maximum permissable stresses at that point were generally a good bit less than elsewhere along the vessels length.
If an OBO was going to snap- that's most likely where it would happen, and I would suggest the consequences would have been extremely severe and quite sudden. The accomodation, bridge and machinery spaces would probably just roll over, and go straight to the bottom.
Free surface was also something which had to be watched like a hawk, - no more than 3 slack holds at one time. Break that rule and she'd loll very badly, - and very quickly. (Maybe worse, if action was not taken immediately)
Nobody was ever paid enough on those ships - long, long hours involved there.
The ones I served on continually alternated between wet and dry cargo pretty well every voyage, - which was just as well, as when that did not happen then the gear would play up terribly if it wasn't used regularly. e.g. do two or three consecutive voyages on oil, and oh boy, would you have trouble with the hatches after that, - they wouldn't want to open at all.
In the case of the reciprocal ie two or three voyages on dry cargo, then you could be sure the cargo valves would give heaps of problems when going back to oil, - mostly down the duct keel, a terrible place to work even under the best of circumstances.
Heating Coils for liquid cargoes were kept under the hatch covers,( being lowered to the bottom of the holds and connected up when required, then raised again afterwards,) on the 1st generation of OBO, but by the time of the second Generation they were built into the bulkhead stools and under the tank tops within the double bottoms.
Grab damages when discharging dry cargo created enormous problems as well, puncturing the hopper sides and tank tops on far too many occasions. Not desireable at all when you were going to load oil a few days later.
You definately required good welders on those ships - they'd soon grind to a halt if not.
Old 9th May 2012, 19:01

My location
But , nobody forced you to load alternate holds !.
Old 9th May 2012, 22:33

Well I suppose you could say that, but with iron ore, alternate hold loading was recommended,or imposed on the vessel, in the builders operations manuals.
The reason of course was to minimise metacentric height/maximise KG which would have been incredibly excessive if iron ore/high density cargo was loaded in all compartments. ie small amounts in each hold. Better larger amounts in alternate holds.

Last edited by oldman 80; 9th May 2012 at 22:36.. Reason: spelling error.
Old 9th May 2012, 23:26

alternate hold loading

Oh, I nearly forgot :-
Holds 1,3, 5, 7 & 9 were strengthened for high density cargoes whilst 2, 4, 6 & 8 were not.
Ref:- tank top loadings.
I'd almost forgotten, but on ore, in the case of most OBO's I served on - Alternate hold loading was actually a condition of class, so we were forced to do it that way after all.

Last edited by oldman 80; 10th May 2012 at 05:05.. Reason: memory recall - alternate holds and class.
Old 17th October 2017, 12:00
Active: 1960 - 2012

It's a good job OBO's are finished. No more crawling in the pipe tunnel, virtually swimming in crude oil. At least we had a change from oil when we got a coal cargo, or even a grain cargo. It meant a lot of tank washing though.
Old 18th October 2017, 23:04

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malky Glaister View Post
I was on Cast Heron when she became Helm. We loaded tapioca in Thailand for Rotterdam. That was some cargo, weeks to load, covered in dust (everywhere and every thing) Last ship with Denholms, redundant Jun Chief Engineer. Well peed off, I binned all my Denholm News mags (regrettably)

oh well

regards

Malky
Loaded tapioca in Kohsichang on the Nordic Sky.
Thankfully the wife wasn't onboard.
Old 19th October 2017, 09:33

Unhappy Cast Petrel aka Helm aka Inci-S

I was Mate on the Helm a couple of times. The worst ship I was ever on in Denholms. I spent most of my time in the pipe tunnel operating the valves from there during discharge because that was the only way they would work - manually! In fact, that's when I threatened to walk off if they didn't send a team to work on the valve system. Luckily (or unluckily) they did, so I stayed on. Several years later, when the Turks bought her, she was renamed Inci-S, and I was sent to her as a consultant because the Turks couldn't manage her. She's a ship I'll never forget. Bob Dewick:
Old 19th October 2017, 13:50
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1993

Loaded Tapioca in Ko Sichang a couple of times with Amsterdam as the disport. This cargo is liable to spontaneous combustion.
Old 19th October 2017, 14:39

Most of the cargoes we loaded on the Helm were either crude oil or iron ore. I remember having to get the crew to remove about half a ton of fine iron ore from the pipe tunnel after there was a massive leak from the hold through a tank valve. It wasn't only oil that leaked into the tunnel! I reckon OBO's produced many more problems than straight tankers did.