Megantic (62) - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
06:51

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Megantic (62)

User Tag List

Old 25th June 2013, 16:47
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - 2017

I sailed with Gill on the LINDFIELD in 1978, for one round trip West Indies-NZ and back. IIRC, the two of us spent most of the northbound trip at the mast tops installing new floodlights. Southbound, we had two shore electrical engineers re-winding one genny stator, which had shorted out after, I think, a cooling pipe fractured.
Martyn
Old 8th July 2013, 12:40

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
Hi nobody seems to Remember Gill Witherspoon 1st lecky took her out new from swans, I was an appy then and years later i sailed with him on the laurentic, he told me that dai Evans was bit hard on eng cadets and juniors engs by sending them down below to trace pipe lines under the floor plates and make a drawing,anyone have that experience. Good thread thanks jk
Hi John
Can't imagine any other way of finding out the 'actual' placement of under plate pipelines...knew Dai Evans for many years and found him very fair
Brian (Joe) Brown
Old 5th October 2013, 10:31
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1968

My location
Heard a tale about an eng on the megantic, scored at party the night before she sailed,he woke up the next morning and realized they were moving and she was still in his bunk luckily they were about to drop the pilot and she went off with the pilot.anyone know if it was true
Old 5th October 2013, 13:47
Active: 1966 - 1973

Must have been an Australian Pilot. I bet the Engineer was distraught.
barry mac
Old 5th October 2013, 23:37
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - Present

Quote:
Hi nobody seems to Remember Gill Witherspoon 1st lecky took her out new from swans, I was an appy then and years later i sailed with him on the laurentic, he told me that dai Evans was bit hard on eng cadets and juniors engs by sending them down below to trace pipe lines under the floor plates and make a drawing,anyone have that experience. Good thread thanks jk
I sailed with Gill, but on the Deck side ... but it's hard to remember now ... don't think it was Icenic ... or Gothic ... but I am going for the first few voyages of Laurentic. Cheers, Bob.
Old 11th January 2015, 19:44
Active: 1957 - 1968

My location
Quote:
Hello JK. Yes, I remember Gill Witherspoon, but can't remember on which ship. He was quite right about Dai, I and my mate DJ were his first cadets, on Alaric in 1959. We spent most of our time on day-work, but every evening after dinner we were sent down onto the tank-tops to trace out and draw up every system. If the drawing had any errors, we were sent straight back down again until it was right. I was down there until midnight on some occasions! I hated him at the time, but realised he was doing it for a purpose and it did serve us well for the rest of our careers. I next sailed with Dai on Corinthic in 1965, he and his wife were passengers on their way to Wellington where he became NZ Engineer Superintendent. Then met him at sometime every voyage until I left SS&A in 1968. I saw him for the last time in 1996 when I was on holiday in NZ, visited him at his home in Lower Hutt. I was sorry to learn on this forum that he crossed the bar a few years back. A good Man and Engineer, he taught me a lot.

Last edited by alaric; 11th January 2015 at 19:47..