Otaio - Ships Nostalgia
04:52

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Otaio

User Tag List

Old 12th October 2004, 13:20

Otaio

New Zealand Shipping’s OTAIO (58/13314) at her berth in the Royal Docks in London.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg otaio.jpg (89.7 KB, 339 views)
Old 5th December 2005, 11:59

I have the pictures of her final arrival in UK inbound from NZ when the old man I believd rigged a makeshift sail to counter the fact that she only had one engine.
Old 5th December 2005, 23:32

Could you post the picture in the gallery?
Many thnaks
Mark
Old 4th March 2006, 00:53

I think you may be thinking of the wrong ship. Rakaia rigged jury sail on a voyage from New York to Liverpool in 1957. I was a cadet on board at the time. I later joined Otaio for her maiden voyage.
Old 12th June 2016, 10:25
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 2000

Just found this thread, better late than never! I sailed on Otaio on the last coastal as 5/E when she was sold in Le Havre. She had sailed on 1 engine back from NZ with the sails with raised for a while but someone said it slowed her down, it was a good exercise for the cadets. I remember the mid crankshaft coupling in one of the engines had a crack in it and they thought it had failed but one of the X-Head slides retaining slippers had come lose and was flapping but this was not found until after the sails had been made. I did have a photo of the sails, wouldn't know where it was now but someone out there who was on it would have one, there was a full compliment onboard when it arrived in Avonmouth i.e. 60 deck cadets plus all the officers.
Old 2nd July 2019, 09:57

Sad news. The well liked Ch Engineer of M.V Otaio Bill Bain crossed the bar 29th june.I coasted with him 1971. He was a gentleman.