Ex Bank Line from the 60-70"s - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
05:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ex Bank Line from the 60-70"s

User Tag List

Old 8th September 2008, 15:30
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 1981

I was on the Oriental African run twice. On "Ettrickbank" and "Carronbank". It was a great run and we used to have good times all along the route. At first I thought that Durban was the best port (the Officers' Club in Alliwall Street, anyone
was much more there than the Mission! Was it the Star Bar?
Then, of course, the Far East. Singapore and Hong Kong were too quick bt from then on - Wakamatsu/Kobe/Osaka/Nagoya/Yokohama/Otaru
it was one good port after another. The pound/yen exchange was very favorable.

After surviving a typhoon aboard "Ettrickbank" in 1956, we spent two months in the Asano Dock in Yokohama doing repairs and the 20 year survey. There's not much about Yokohama that you can't find out in that time. One weekend, we were movie round-eyed extras, on another, we were tourists to Lake Hakone, and on yet another memorable occasion we chanced the local railway to Tokyo to see Cinerama. You see, boys, it was not all bars and young ladies, but there were lots on tears on our departure!

Southbound were calls in the Philippines (Sagay/Tandok/Jose Panganiban/Zamboanga) mostly logging camps then by way of North Borneo (Sandakan and Wallace Bay with Miri for bunkers) to Bangkok. What can I say about Bangkok. Was it the Venus Bar?
Calling again at Singapore and perhaps Port Swettenham (new name?) we called at Mauritius, Reunion and Madagascar before hitting the African coast.
A run to remember. We had Captain Jim Williams on the "Ettrickbank" and Captain Peter Stewart (and Mrs. Stewart) on the "Carronbank". Our fellow correspondent, Andy Lavies, was first trip apprentice on "Ettrick".
Memories...memories!

Alistair Macnab
Houston TX
Old 15th September 2008, 21:17
Active: 1959 - 2007

My location
Sukarnapura

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
G'day Pete, It's funny how a person can remember all the ports of your first trip to sea. We joined the Laurel in Billingham in March '65 discharging some kind of sulphate then off round Europe, London and completing in Genoa. I think you joined in London when the Irish 3rd Mate went crazy when he found out that 2 year articles really meant that with Bank Line. Then we were off for exotic ports of the tropics via the Suez Canal and Aden, for bunkers. The first stop was at Thursday Island to pick up the Torres Strait pilot, this was very exciting fir a 17 year old who a couple of years before had read the book "A Passage of Islands" then it was on down your list of ports but instead of Nauru we went to Townsville, Mackay, Brisbane and Newcastle to complete discharging by the middle or end of July. The rest of the world called us for the next 10 or 11 months making my first sea voyage so 15 months long - the longest I had been away from my home.
I have one question Pete, you mention "Sukarnapura" which was just over the boarder in West Irian but that was a new name for an old port and I believe that original name may have been restored, WHAT was the original name of Sukarnapura - the name that appeared on the cargo plans? Just as another query, you mentioned Port Vila but I am sure that this wasn't the original name of this port - was it called something else in 1965. You missed out Kieta on Bougainville from your list of ports for the South Pacific run.

Pete do you know what happened to the 2nd Mate, John East, I never heard about him after that trip – he was promoted to Mate after the little problem in Chalna.

John S
Wasn't it Hollandia? Seem to remember doing funny things with a sawmill between there and Wewak on Roybank during the fun n games - China hand

Last edited by K urgess; 15th September 2008 at 21:35.. Reason: duplicated
Old 15th September 2008, 21:35

My location
Hi Hamish,

Remember getting us chucked out of the Playboy club in NoLa? China hand.
Old 15th September 2008, 21:58

Did any of you Bank Line men know a Capt Parsons who I believe was Master with the company.

Robert
Old 17th September 2008, 17:24

My location
Hamish,

You still in touch with Mike Ward? China hand.
Old 17th September 2008, 19:58

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT HENDERSON View Post
Did any of you Bank Line men know a Capt Parsons who I believe was Master with the company.

Robert
I think you are speaking of Frankie Parsons who was Master with me on the Rowanbank when we carried His Majesty the King of Tonga from Nukualofa to Southampton in 1972. I was sailing as Ch. Off. at the time...................pete
Old 26th September 2008, 23:32
Active: 1953 - 1981

Ah Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by China hand View Post
Hamish,

You still in touch with Mike Ward? China hand.
The puzzle deepens! Yes, I,m Hamish and I am still in touch with Mike Ward. I shall be seeing him in New Orleans in mid-October

Alistair (Hamish) Macnab
Houston TX USA
Old 27th September 2008, 07:12

My location
I did my spell on Tweedbank in 1957, Marconi sent me to join her in London then we went to Cuba, cant remember the port but it was pretty small, and loaded sugar for New Orleans, did the run up the U.S East coast then down again to Galveston, Brownsville, then to Coatzacolcos in Mexico to load sulphur for Australian ports then up to Moresby Samaria Lae Wewak Rabaul and Kavieng for copra then Miri in Borneo then Colombo to change Indian crew
midnight to 5am and after sailing found out that the Indian Butler had taken all the grub from the aft storeroom with him so it was a hungry run home to Birkenhead,The skipper was Owen Owens from Welsh Wales and he was not amused!!. I left her in Glasgow and was then lucky enought to fit out the Radio Gear on SSA Alaric and stayed on her for the next 2 years. Met Capt Owens again in Sydney in 1961 when I was at VIS Coast Station.
Salaams Ern Barrett
Old 27th September 2008, 09:02

My location
Does anyone remember a famous Bank Line personality Stan Sweeney Third Engineer - always good for a laugh and the life and soul of a good party?.

I get a Christmas card from him every year so he is still alive and well. Sailed with him on the Foylebank and Fleetbank.
JC
Old 21st October 2008, 06:23

My location
Donald: If you are who I think, didn't you come from Rothesay where your family had a hotel? You were apprentice on Inverbank in 67 when I was R/O. The officers all took the ferry to Hook then bus to Ymuiden to join. Spent Xmas in d/d in Hamburg. Brian Peterson from Barry was skipper. Well remember the 2nd Mate, John Lees-Moffat from Scone who was the spitting image of James Robertson Justice.
You acquired a monkey in Chittagong and the lecky paid the carpenter to make a coffin when it died while we were on the E African coast.
There was some problem or other with the main engine so we ended up in Avonmouth after a 7 months and 20 days' trip.
That was my only Bank Line outing but was my best experience on a UK flag ship.
Old 30th October 2008, 22:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iriscable Fairy View Post
Hello Paul - I think I sailed with you - In fact I think I have some photographs of you

Richard Collinson
Hello Richard.
Nice to hear from you. Long time since Rowanbank. I'd be pleased to look at some of the old photos sometime. Are you still at the old town?
I sent Brian Booth a photo of Lindenbank on Fanning Is. Shame about the instamatic quality.
Kind regards for the minute. Pub calling. Bing.
Old 30th October 2008, 22:33

Hi Pete
I knew Capt. Parsons as Frank, so it obviously the same man.He relieved me as Master on a small coastal tanker, but only stayed for one voyage and I was called back of leave rather quickly. I won't go any further on site.

Regards Robert
Old 1st November 2008, 22:35

Anyone Familiar

Hi Chaps.
Hope i have made this visible.
M.V. Hollybank i think.
Photo taken Christmas 1974 not sure of port but think it may be madras or calculta.
My father is on the left of photo (sitting) second engineer.
Anyone remember him ?
Regards.
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg M.V. Hollybank Xmas 1974.jpg (267.0 KB, 284 views)

Last edited by Merseyboy; 2nd November 2008 at 12:53..
Old 2nd November 2008, 13:33

My location
Sorry, Jim, don't recognise your Dad but I've seen the Captain before.
He may be D. G. McCaffery and second from right may be Dave Barlow who could be second or third mate.
Cheers
Kris
Old 4th November 2008, 12:44

Cheers Kris
Old 24th November 2008, 05:03

Bank Line Captain Jack Reed

I am not a memeber of the seafaring family but had connections with the Bank Line and Captain Jack Reed.

It all started in about 1944 when he was 3rd officer. My family met him in Durban becacuse my late grand father was claims manager for John.T.Rennie and Sons who were the agents for the Bank Line.

My first memories of Jack Reed were in 1955 when he was master of the Inverbank which was plying between the Far East and South Africa.It was alwyas with much excitement to me as a boy of 8 years when "Uncle Jack" was due in port.

Through the years he captained many vessels in Bank Lines history and like his father before him became Commodore of the Line in his later years.His family became firm friends and his wife Thelma visited our family in SA several times.

A man of straight speech and fair dealings, does anyone on this site remember him or served with him, I would like to hear from you!
Old 4th December 2008, 20:37

Hi andy,Ted Nutt you where my senior,my first trip Oakbank
Old 14th January 2009, 15:03

to say hellow to ex bank line employees.

i sailed on the 'CLOVERBANK' 1958-1960 was there anyone
else out there who did

pete l
Old 8th February 2009, 15:56

Hi Jim,
By not doing the far east run you missed a real treat.
I did it twice first on the Yewbank 8-1965 to 10 1966. Had 6 weeks out of my 14 weeks leave and joined the Levernbank 11. 66 to 02.68. I wish I could go back in years and do it all over again.
You would have loved it.
Happy memories norman74
Old 9th February 2009, 11:18

Smile Far East Run

Norman74
Must have sailed with you as I was 2/O same time. Captain was W. Mendus.
Old 10th February 2009, 16:18

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRW View Post
Norman74
Must have sailed with you as I was 2/O same time. Captain was W. Mendus.
Hi IRW, Would that be Iain who was very good with the needle, (you had a sister who was a nurse) must have been the Yewbank the 1st Mate was Welsh as I remember it an all round good happy crew I was 3rd engineer. Still I had better not run on as you might not be the Iain who I think you could be. Good memoirs Norman Calver.
Old 10th February 2009, 23:18

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman74 View Post
Hi IRW, Would that be Iain who was very good with the needle, (you had a sister who was a nurse) must have been the Yewbank the 1st Mate was Welsh as I remember it an all round good happy crew I was 3rd engineer. Still I had better not run on as you might not be the Iain who I think you could be. Good memoirs Norman Calver.
Dont remember the sewing bit, certainly have a sister who was a nurse. The OM (Mendus) was,I think from Fishguard. Can remember wanting to stay on the run but was told there was a waiting list and I'd have to do another full year - as I was married that was a no no as I'd just done a year or so on the (new) Hollybank. Regards Iain Wemyss
Old 11th February 2009, 13:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRW View Post
Dont remember the sewing bit, certainly have a sister who was a nurse. The OM (Mendus) was,I think from Fishguard. Can remember wanting to stay on the run but was told there was a waiting list and I'd have to do another full year - as I was married that was a no no as I'd just done a year or so on the (new) Hollybank. Regards Iain Wemyss
Hi Iain, When I refereed to good with a needle the sewing bit was not what I was thinking of I was referring to something a bit more cheeky. I did not know that you wanted to do another run I new that the Mate. 2nd Elec. Sparkly David Smith and myself (David and I were pals he only lived 15 miles from me) we were planning to resign on why we did not I don't remember. Anyway David and I both joined the Levernbank about six weeks later.
Best regards Norman Calver.
Old 12th May 2009, 09:49

ex Bank Line 60-70s

G'day
Was App on Weybank June 1961- Oct 1962 then Levernbank Jan 1963 to end 1964, signing off in Hong Kong. Joined Weybank in Immingham 21st June 1961. Bremen to load coal for New Caledonia (I recall 56 days at sea followed by 21 days at distant offshore anchorage..) Mostly on regular S.Africa to Far East run. Wonderful ships and wonderful memories. Would do it all again without any hesitation. Excellent training. Being on the Far East run I think I was the only guy to get regular leave every 6 months. Signed off in HKg northbound and rejoined southbound. Spent my leave in the Red Lion, Four Sisters, Ship Inn... great times and many stories... After completion of apprenticeship spent rest of my seagoing life sailing in Far East (well almost).
GW
Old 26th May 2009, 18:58

Anyone Familiar - Hollybank

Regarding Jimís question ďAnyone Familiar?,Ē Yes. Iím brand new to the forum. Stumbled upon it while cruising the Internet. I boarded Hollybank on New Years Eve 1974, in Lae, Papua New Guinea. Heaven help me, I was a passenger, the only passenger. Having spent the previous couple of years as a volunteer teaching in backwoods Polynesian village and knocking about the South Pacific, I thought I would catch a ride home on Hollybank, which was scheduled to stop in New Orleans. Not my home but at least the right continent. I thought I would use the opportunity to write a book. Well the book didnít happened, still hasnít, but I had an unforgettable time and consider it one of the best decisions Iíve made in life.

Hollybankís previous port was Madang, PNG, where I believe they celebrated Christmas. I recognize everyone except the man on the extreme left. I think he was the chief engineer and left the ship either in Madang or Lae, leaving your dad to fill the chief engineer slot. Unfortunately, most of the names, including your fatherís escape me. I know I have them written down somewhere, but ďsomewhereĒ remains elusive. Attached is a modified image with what I know about the crew. The third mate (English) and another electrician or engineer from Belfast are not in the picture.

I remember your father very well, Iím sorry to hear heís gone. He was a wonderful and erudite conversationalist who could hold forth on any topic. It seemed to me he had an old house with an exposed-beam ceiling in southwest England. He also had bought a shotgun on the voyage and to ease entry past home customs fired it off several times. Not at anyone in particular but more towards the far horizon.

The crew were all Indian from Calcutta. They would rotate crews between Hindus from Calcutta and Muslims from Bangladesh. In this crew was one lone Muslim who would spread a prayer rug on a hatch cover, ask the apprentice which way was Mecca, and every day pray in a different direction as per the answer. The ship had two serangs, (bosuns, foremen) one for the deck the other for the engine room. These guys didnít do anything but were the indispensable link between the officers and crew.

On the Christian side of the house the captain was a North of Ireland Catholic and two of the engineers were Belfast Protestants. One subject of conversation, the North Ireland troubles, was off the table.

Having been isolated from the world for some time I was sort of out of it when it came to popular culture. In particular, the officers were all well acquainted with Monty Python, which I had no clue about. They were doing all the bits from silly walks to dead parrots. I thought they were all just nuts. The apprentice, Judah ****ing Kula ****ing buli, was the most nuts of all. He liked to climb around the outside of the ship. A couple of times, at night, he would hang by his hands from the bow pulpit. All you could see were his fingers. It would make your heart stop. We said if he let go to please smile so we could see him. Fortunately he never let go. Heís a great guy.

The voyage took 54 days from Lae to Liverpool, stopping at Tarawa in the Gilbert Islands (Kiribati) and the Panama Canal. Never did stop in North America. The ship had some issues. The radar didnít work, the gyro compass didnít work and engine often didnít work. A tad frustrating for your dad Iím sure.

Cheers