Ex Bank Line from the 60-70"s - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
05:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ex Bank Line from the 60-70"s

User Tag List

Old 26th May 2009, 20:23

My location
Welcome aboard, Risati.
Thanks for confriming that it's Dave Barlow as second mate.
I'm pretty certain the Captain was McCaffery.
Cheers
Kris
Old 27th May 2009, 13:02

For some history and a list of Bankline ships go to

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/bank.htm
Old 27th May 2009, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Hi Donald, welcome back to the site. I was with Bank Line for 15 very informative Years. Served on Laurel, Dart, Fir, Hazel, Rowan, Test, Mara, Spey, Olive, Forres, Hazel (again), and finally Shirra. Whew, what a roll call. All this between 1964 and 1980, and I'd do it all again tomorrow, (sigh)...................cheers...........pete
hi there was on mv foyle bank 1966 happy times
Old 27th May 2009, 18:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
When I was on the South Pacific Run we would normally call at Port Moresby, Samarai, Lae, Madang Wewak, Sukarnopura (Occasionally) Rabaul, Kavieng, Honiara, Yandina, Port Vila and then off to drift in off Nauru or Ocean Island waiting for Guano (Phosphate or Bird S**t as you wish) Made for a very interesting Cargo Plan, luckily stowage was done, in the main, by London Office. Happy times including doing our own Tallying..............................pete
hello
Old 8th June 2009, 16:42

Hello Andy
Do you remember me from Shirrabank, I was No1 Apprentice. Really good to know you are still around. I'm still at sea, only two years to retirement. I live in Norfolk, UK. Where are you now.
Kind regards
Andy Whittle
Old 15th June 2009, 23:03

Hi there. I joined my first ship YewBank in the 70s..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McGhee View Post
I have recently reactivated this site and would like to hear from any ex Bank Line folk from the late 60's or 70's living in New Zealand. I served on Inver, Teviot and Mara Bank and keep up a long and abiding love of all things nautical.
Joined her in Tampa USA and off to India. What a Trip !!
Old 15th June 2009, 23:55

Hi Pete, I see you were on the Hazel Bank, was she a coal burner built for 12 fires but only had 8 with a nomans land in the centre. I was fireman at the time what a ship... Kenneth
Old 16th June 2009, 00:52
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Ken, that sounds like a weird set up, how many fires did each boiler have. I have sailed with a few that had the three boilers with three fires per boiler,and a couple with 24 fires 12 back to back.

John.
Old 16th June 2009, 02:08

My location
Andy (Post 55) see my post 35: weren't you there too?
Old 21st June 2009, 21:07

Thumbs up Bank Line in 1960s

Hello Donald, and everyone else,
The name is David Chambers, from Belfast. I sailed on the Weirbank on the copra run. Joined Liverpool August 1964, paid off Liverpool March 1965. Captain was Fred Feint. I was the 2nd Electrician. Sailed on Laganbank March 1967 to Nov 1967, again copra run Liverpool to Liverpool. This time as senior electrician. Captain was Tom Scott, also from Northern Ireland. He died some years ago.
Regards to all,
David
Newtownards,
Co. Down,
Northern Ireland
Old 27th September 2009, 03:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayL View Post
No one seems to have answered 'The Captain's' query about the earlier name of Sukarnapura so I just did a quick search of Google. I think the name you are interested in may be Hollandia.

I am reading messages avidly even when I am not involved, so thanks to everyone who bothers to correspond. Many memories are being dredged up.
Hollandia re-named Kota Bharu when the Dutch left, then re-named again to become Jayapura.
Think the other name for Port Vila may have been Luganville.
Old 27th September 2009, 22:44

Hollybank

Did anybody know John Browning out there, or Colin Medlicott, or Brian Peterson also looking for John Lowans ex Master, a friend has asked if I can find him with the help of Ships Nostalgia

ianian

Last edited by ianian; 28th September 2009 at 10:51..
Old 28th September 2009, 04:37
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
Brian Peterson

Hi Ianian,

I sailed with Brian Peterson, Welshman I think, and his wife on the Inverbank, with Chop Whittle as the other app. We (Chop and I) are in touch again after 40 odd years. What a great site this is.
Brian was agood skipper, always saying "the point of the matter is, looking at the thing basically and taking the mean of the means"! He was a real good bloke and never treated the apps badly, possibly the taking of wives calmed a lot of the buggers down, who knows? Good memories.
Old 21st October 2009, 16:07
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Southbank 1961

Here's a pic of the old Southbank deck crew posing with the Mate. The Serang is on the left. One of the young Guys next to me claimed to be a graduate. We were in the Western Approaches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg southbank sharp 2-2.jpg (31.1 KB, 140 views)
Old 31st May 2012, 23:10
Active: 1962 - 1971

Smile Mike Agate

Quote:
I have recently reactivated this site and would like to hear from any ex Bank Line folk from the late 60's or 70's living in New Zealand. I served on Inver, Teviot and Mara Bank and keep up a long and abiding love of all things nautical.
I was with Bank Line from 62 to 71 & live in Paraparaumu. as a cadet on Trent, South Foyle, Larch, Beaver & Laganbank. 3rd mate on Foyle, Fleet, Yew, Fir, Clover & Roybank.
Old 2nd June 2012, 01:43

I sailed on Rose Bank for a short 7 month trip in 1970's, before that was marine officer pilot in Honiara. In 1990's piloted several Bank Line ships in Jebel Ali, they were always having engine troubles.
Old 5th June 2012, 20:09
Active: 1966 - 2009

Alistair talking about the Officer's Club in Durban; wonderful place, many happy memories of fabulous food, lobster thermidor being the best. Also met some very nice members of the opposite sex there!

Venus Bar in Bangkok - well what can one say? Quaffing large quantities of "monkey" and enjoying the rest of what was on offer. One occasion a US warship in for visit, three US matelots out of their heads fighting off vast numbers of Thai police for nearly an hour until the shore patrol with nightsticks showed up! The one occasion a British Seaman's ID card came in handy.

In the western hemisphere though the Harbor Lites in Houston in the early 1970s was great fun and some fabulous folk there - african american nurses for example who went there knowing that Europeans would accept them as human beings unlike their caucasian countrymen. They were helpful in all sorts of ways; guided tours of Houston etc. I learnt a lot about their view on life and how they had to live their lives. Of course you musn't forget the fun part too!!! Things might be different these days in Houston for all I know.

Are the City Docks still used I wonder?
Old 8th August 2012, 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayL View Post
No one seems to have answered 'The Captain's' query about the earlier name of Sukarnapura so I just did a quick search of Google. I think the name you are interested in may be Hollandia.

I am reading messages avidly even when I am not involved, so thanks to everyone who bothers to correspond. Many memories are being dredged up.
The name of the port in West Irian was indeed Hollandia, a remnant of the Dutch East Indies, before it then became Kota Baru with the Indonesian take over of Dutch New Guinea. Later, it became Jayapura.
I was not aware that it had been changed yet again.
It was a quite depressing town as the Dutch ran it down before hand-over.

Pete', 4/3 Eng' Marabank (21/1/64 - 13/5/66) double-header.
Old 8th August 2012, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeywood. View Post
The name of the port in West Irian was indeed Hollandia, a remnant of the Dutch East Indies, before it then became Kota Baru with the Indonesian take over of Dutch New Guinea. Later, it became Jayapura.
I was not aware that it had been changed yet again.
It was a quite depressing town as the Dutch ran it down before hand-over.

Pete', 4/3 Eng' Marabank (21/1/64 - 13/5/66) double-header.
In 1970 we went there on Avonbank and at that time it was called Dajapura. There was a Dutch stevedore, small plump chap who wandered around in white shorts, off white polo shirt and flip flops. Apparently he'd lived there for years. The ship had two Indonesian army guys at each hatch, both armed throughout our stay. It was good to get back to the relative civilisation of Madang!
Old 8th August 2012, 18:56
Active: 1959 - 2007

My location
Remember transferring the sawmill from Sukarnapura to Wewak? All very naughty.
First time I ever saw armed policemen warning the ships people off as the tea-leaves rifled the cargo. Roybank 1965.
I suppose it began to go steadilly downhill from about then?
Old 9th August 2012, 12:01
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1974 - 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merseyboy View Post
Hi Chaps.
Hope i have made this visible.
M.V. Hollybank i think.
Photo taken Christmas 1974 not sure of port but think it may be madras or calculta.
My father is on the left of photo (sitting) second engineer.
Anyone remember him ?
Regards.
Jim
just found the photo

isn't the guy at the back on the left Mick Richens who was a 2/O with me on the Iris in 77 or 78 ? now lives in South Shields
Old 9th August 2012, 15:57

i remember going down poop hatch on rosebank in 1967 to check unloading of full hatch of heineken for sukarnapura, armed guard was on the piss with dockers and gave me the slit throat signal and touched his lips, telling me to say nowt. went up told john sturgess (old man) he said knock power off deck. stopped unloading. they were robbing cases left right and centre, dropping them in dock and diving in after them. worst lot of thieving tw**ts i ever met, apart from london,liverpool warfies !!!
Old 16th August 2012, 18:47

If anyone's read James Clavell's "Noble House", Sukanopura gets a mention as part of the Struan empire!
Old 17th August 2012, 18:55
Active: 1959 - 2007

My location
Bit of history here for us appies who were there:

Hollandia; Nederlanders sold down the drain.
Kota Baru; Indonesian name for same place.
Sukarnopura; Big boss man's idea of what a town should sound like.
Jayapura; Present name.

Nice climate if you like hot n humid.

Roybank in April 1965 must have been one of the last there (we loaded for Port Moresby, Samarai, Lae, Madang, Wewak,Sukarnopura, Manokwari, Biak, Kavieng, Rabaul, Gizo, Honiara, Noumea, Darwin, Cairns).

I see from my notes that vessel in closed shelter deck condition departing Genoa.
Bunkered at Aden.
Insignificant parcels of inter island cargo accepted at most Island ports
Freeboard leaving Genoa 12'09"
Changed crew at Cochin

Vessel proceeded to Ocean Island for next employment.

God, we had it rough!
Old 24th December 2013, 19:17
Department: Navigation
Active: 1949 - 1960

Knightswood Boy

are you the same guy as lived in Knightswood.Sailed on the "IvyBank"from April 1954 until July1955>Capt.A>E>NEWTON

Quote:
Hi Ianian,

I sailed with Brian Peterson, Welshman I think, and his wife on the Inverbank, with Chop Whittle as the other app. We (Chop and I) are in touch again after 40 odd years. What a great site this is.
Brian was agood skipper, always saying "the point of the matter is, looking at the thing basically and taking the mean of the means"! He was a real good bloke and never treated the apps badly, possibly the taking of wives calmed a lot of the buggers down, who knows? Good memories.