Cape Howe - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
23:22

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cape Howe

User Tag List

Old 24th August 2011, 03:10
Madbob
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 1972

My location
Just caught up with this thread. Visited the old Cape Howe (1943) in Newcastle at Spillers Wharf in 1958 (9) as my uncle Tom Belshaw was Chief Engineer at the time. When I told the 2nd Mate that I wanted to go to sea his response was 'Don't be daft son !' I did go to sea and considered myself, along with thousands of other mariners, to be perfectly sensible.
Old 24th August 2011, 07:26

Hello Ray Ferrie,
I joined the old Cape Howe in Newcastle NSW in 1957as deck boy.Loaded coal for South America,eventually finished up in the UK where I became a deck apprentice with Sir William Reardon Smiths,later deck officer etc etc.

Last edited by bill thompson; 24th August 2011 at 07:28..
Old 30th May 2016, 12:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian d.cameron View Post
Anyone on her when she Pooped a freak wave, it must have been after Murty’s first trip in 72 and before I joined her in June 73.
Apparently the wave hit the Port Quarter and went through the Chippies locker, through our mess room; through the Arabs mess room and the dispensary, stopping at the Chief Stewarts cabin. There was two forty five gallon drums full of bitumen lashed to the Lazerette hatch and one ended up on the funnel deck.
Sounded like a fun trip.
Hi, can you remember an officer cadet called Bill Wrey who was on the Cape Howe on the same dates and possibly his current whereabouts please.
Old 30th May 2016, 13:41
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

..................never seen this thread before, she was one of my 'charges' in my BSC HQ days, reference much earlier to Gothland and Cape Howe, Gothland was about 3000 dwt smaller and a great deal slower.......

geoff