R.m.s.durango - Ships Nostalgia
07:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

R.m.s.durango

User Tag List

Old 19th August 2006, 20:03
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1969

R.m.s.durango

I am trying to trace anyone who may remember the old bosun of the Durango his name was Fred Walden he was married and came from Southampton the one thing that would make him stand out was that he built ships in bottles he was bosun of the Durango for many years at least ten by my reckoning , i beleive he was still bosun on her when she changed her name to Ruthenic i have a very poor photo of him at his retirement being presented with a gift by the ships master J Perkins any information would be gratefully received many thanks D.
Old 10th May 2008, 00:39

durango

Did you have any luck finding information on Fred Walden?I was on the Durango in the 50s,probably late 50s,maybe '59,but I can't remember the bosun's name,in fact I cant remember anyone from the Durango,I do remember that the were a great crew,I only did one trip,from London to Brazil,I know we went to Rio Grande Do Sol,sorry I can't give you any more information,Paddy.
Old 22nd May 2008, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy mcdonnell View Post
Did you have any luck finding information on Fred Walden?I was on the Durango in the 50s,probably late 50s,maybe '59,but I can't remember the bosun's name,in fact I cant remember anyone from the Durango,I do remember that the were a great crew,I only did one trip,from London to Brazil,I know we went to Rio Grande Do Sol,sorry I can't give you any more information,Paddy.
Many thanks for your welcome reply paddy i did have some luck with regards to finding out about the old bosun he would have been in her same time as you , in fact i know he stayed on her when she was taken over by Shaw Savill and renamed Ruthenic , in fact i have a very interesting story to tell if you are interested with regards to him and his ships in bottles, while i,m on i wonder if any one who sailed in Royal Mail would remember the old man captain Perkins , better know as polly Perkins now there was one of lifes characters i found out that he had been a prisoner during the 2nd world war ,i also sailed with him on the Eden thanks again Paddy all the best mate .
Old 31st May 2008, 07:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURANGO View Post
Many thanks for your welcome reply paddy i did have some luck with regards to finding out about the old bosun he would have been in her same time as you , in fact i know he stayed on her when she was taken over by Shaw Savill and renamed Ruthenic , in fact i have a very interesting story to tell if you are interested with regards to him and his ships in bottles, while i,m on i wonder if any one who sailed in Royal Mail would remember the old man captain Perkins , better know as polly Perkins now there was one of lifes characters i found out that he had been a prisoner during the 2nd world war ,i also sailed with him on the Eden thanks again Paddy all the best mate .
Just reading your answer now,durango,I certainly interested in what you have to say about the bosun,it might spark a memory of some of the crew,the baker comes to mind,he was from Ireland,like myself,I think he was from Dublin,Paddy.
Old 5th June 2008, 16:45

Quote:
Just reading your answer now,durango,I certainly interested in what you have to say about the bosun,it might spark a memory of some of the crew,the baker comes to mind,he was from Ireland,like myself,I think he was from Dublin,Paddy.
Hi Paddy the old bosun Fred Walden was one of lifes real characters ,as i said he built ships in bottles and he built one for me he used to charge a bottle of johnnie walkers whiskey for one of his ships but being as i was on deck we were only allowed beer so i gave him a crate of tennants i think we used to pay 24 bob for a crate back in 1964 please correct me if i have got that wrong someone [ it aint often i,m right so i wont take offence if i,m put right ]. I had that ship up until 1985 when it was knocked from the mantlepeice and smashed i was realy sick and like a fool i threw it in the rubbish instead of trying to make some sort of repair to the glass , anyhow in 2003 i bought a computer for my daughter and found out about the m.n. sites, whilst looking through the Vindi site i came across a fella who had been in the Durango in the late 50,s , so i asked him if he remembered the old bosun and if so did he remember him building ships in bottles , within a few hours i had a reply telling me that he did indeed remember old Fred and in fact he had two of his ships out in Brisbane this was in may 2003 in june 2006he let me have one of them he sent it over with a freind of his who was coming to the u.k. on holiday , i have a photo of the old bosun paddy but i would have to send it to you by email if you are interested because i cant work out how to put it on this site all the best .
Old 22nd December 2008, 11:51

hi mike park here i sailed on the durango mid 60s and fred was the bosun on her then and thats right if tou gave him a bottle of whisky when it was empty he would put a ship in it
Old 15th February 2009, 02:30

I had the distinction of sailing on the Durango on her maiden voyage outta Belfast 1944 [from memory]
Old 26th March 2009, 11:23

A bit of a tenuous link this as I never sailed on Durango but Polly Perkins was master of my first ship Thessaly in 1960. Easy going bloke as I recall.
Old 14th June 2010, 04:24

To Durango,I can't believe it is two years since we discussed the Durango,I should have followed up the thread better than that,you mentioned that you had a photo of the bosun and you could email it to me to see if it would jog my memory,I would like that,I see by your profile you don't want emails through Ships Nostalgia,so here is my email address,
[email protected] my real name is Gene,but every one called me Paddy when I went to sea
Old 3rd June 2011, 05:10

Quote:
To Durango,I can't believe it is two years since we discussed the Durango,I should have followed up the thread better than that,you mentioned that you had a photo of the bosun and you could email it to me to see if it would jog my memory,I would like that,I see by your profile you don't want emails through Ships Nostalgia,so here is my email address,
[email protected] my real name is Gene,but every one called me Paddy when I went to sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by DURANGO View Post
Hi Paddy the old bosun Fred Walden was one of lifes real characters ,as i said he built ships in bottles and he built one for me he used to charge a bottle of johnnie walkers whiskey for one of his ships but being as i was on deck we were only allowed beer so i gave him a crate of tennants i think we used to pay 24 bob for a crate back in 1964 please correct me if i have got that wrong someone [ it aint often i,m right so i wont take offence if i,m put right ]. I had that ship up until 1985 when it was knocked from the mantlepeice and smashed i was realy sick and like a fool i threw it in the rubbish instead of trying to make some sort of repair to the glass , anyhow in 2003 i bought a computer for my daughter and found out about the m.n. sites, whilst looking through the Vindi site i came across a fella who had been in the Durango in the late 50,s , so i asked him if he remembered the old bosun and if so did he remember him building ships in bottles , within a few hours i had a reply telling me that he did indeed remember old Fred and in fact he had two of his ships out in Brisbane this was in may 2003 in june 2006he let me have one of them he sent it over with a freind of his who was coming to the u.k. on holiday , i have a photo of the old bosun paddy but i would have to send it to you by email if you are interested because i cant work out how to put it on this site all the best .
I should have checked my discharge book,I have now,I sailed in the Durango in 1961(signed on 25-may-off 23 July
Old 14th August 2016, 04:18

My family sailed on the Durango to Argentina in 1947. My dad stowed away.

Honestly. The war had been over a year or so and my dad had gotten his discharge papers from the polish navy and paperwork to go to Argentina with my mother, my toddler brother, and my infant sister. My dad lost all of his papers and was unable to get them in time for the sailing date. He told my mom he'd find a way to get on. It was late the night before sailing and he found some crew in town who were drinking at a bar. He got chummy with them and bought them a few extra drinks. They all reeked of whiskey and they went back to the ship and went on board with them all with his pea coat pulled up around his face. He went to my mom's cabin and she let him in. He spent two weeks under the bed, etc. My mom brought food back to the cabin for him. When they arrived he walked off and was stopped by police. Luckily the man who was meeting him kept mum when he told them he had arrived with him and just gone on to retrieve his wife.

I always doubted this story but both my parents insisted it was true. I just found the list of passengers on the voyage, and sure enough, it only lists my mother, brother, and sister.

My mom was born in Athy, Co. Kildare, Ireland and my dad was a sailor aboard several destroyers in WWII.

Just thought I'd share.

Chris
Old 27th October 2016, 10:50
Department: Engineering
Active: 1959 - 1960

kiwit

Hi I worked on the Durango from Dec 1959 until Feb 1960 one trip to South America I was a cleaner engine room my first trip to sea had a great time cant remember names but shared cabin with 3 other guys I know we ran ou of beer before Canary Island.

kiwi t
Old 27th October 2016, 10:53

Still have my sea mans book cant make out signature of officer who signed my discharge

kiwit
Old 27th October 2016, 12:28

I made a visit on board DURANGO c. 1962. I was a 10 year old at the time. My school teacher had arrived in Bermuda from UK in DURANGO along with a dog named 'Monty' for the Head Mistress. Anyhow, on the next return voyage to Bermuda my teacher, Dr Adams, took me on board for afternoon tea with the captain. Even at that age I was interested in ship and to come on board a ship like DURANGO was like heaven!
Old 27th October 2016, 13:19

Kiwi T

The trip was great we had some passengers on board, made a pool for them for a swim Sitting on deck after you watch having a yarn and enjoying the stories from some of the older sea man who had been at sea for many years. My memories are still there some nights. I believe the Durango was a ex liberty boat WW2 she done use proud coming home through The Bay of Biscay never seen waves as big then and now.

Cheers Kiwi T