Sagamore - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
03:27

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Sagamore

User Tag List

Old 18th June 2013, 07:08
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Torrie View Post
Hi Reg
Ist Officer was Mr Taylor(quite a chatacter)
The Bosun was from Cardiff (Great man)
Did all the Iron Ore Ports...Narvik ....Oslo ....Seven Islands... Belle Isle...Lisbon....Algiers... Casablanca... Monrovia...Vitoria.
Verey happy memories.
When we were in Oxelesund 1st. mate Taylor slipped a disc singing "Frankie & Johnnie" at a Christmas party. Senior apprentice (John?) up to watch keeping duty for the trip home to South Shields and yours truly doing paper work for Board of Trade survey under the watchful eye of Taylor as he lay in his bunk in his cabin.
Old 18th June 2013, 23:25
Department: Electrician
Active: 1962 - 1978

Got me there! I'm sure that the wires would have been run from the samson posts centrally. Maybe someone who worked on deck on these ships would know?
Old 19th June 2013, 12:24
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

'Tis a pity that only last year I was ordered to 'get shot' of my collection of old BISC(Ore) ships plans...which included Edenmore, the two Dalgleish carriers, Pennyworth & Ravensworth, Boltons Ripon & Rievaulx & Purvis Avisvale.......they could have been of use to many!

geoff
Old 19th June 2013, 13:33

Edenmore

Did my first trip as Cadet on the Edenmore, but after 40 years think I can be forgiven as to not remembering where the wires used to be run from!

Mike
Old 19th June 2013, 15:10

Logan,
What ship are you building? In the meantime, here is a plan of the Rievaulx, complete with lead of wires to the winches. If you would like a hi resolution jpeg, just pm your e-mail address to me!
I have plans of Sagamore somewhere, but we are in upheaval of decorating at the moment. I spent couple of years in Sagamore.
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rievaulx (Large).jpg (152.7 KB, 51 views)

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 26th July 2013, 16:43

I am just completing an e-book covering two ore carriers, Sagamore and Silverdon. I sailed in both of them! Please can anyone supply me with a scan of a photo of either or both of them Sagamore and Silverdon that I can put in this e-book? I do have a number of pictures taken aboard, but the more the merrier, so to speak. I am really looking for images that the donor actually took themselves, together with permission to publish. Although the book is specifically designed for a Nook, it will work in a computer as an Acrobat reader file.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 5th August 2013, 13:08

Here is a selection of images from the book (now completed) as displayed on U-Tube
Bob
http://youtu.be/2zYzBgHhcgs

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 5th August 2013, 21:01

The Sagamore had the look of the all aft BP Tankers that seemed to have a "dip" in their Hull.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 5th August 2013, 21:17

Sagamore had a very pronounced sheer and was quite shapely in a chubby sort of way. Very strong though, and lasted from 1957 until 1992 when scrapped. Silverdon (Completed in 1973) was lost with nearly all hands in the South China sea in1998. I think there were 3 survivors of a company of 34!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 20th March 2014, 11:35

mr taylor was my father, he became captain taylor, left the sea in about 1971, bought a cafe in melton mowbray. died in 1983, aged 61. i also remember tao the cat!
Old 20th March 2014, 12:25

Hello Johnny,
I remember your father & mother very well. I sailed with Dennis for two or three years in Sagamore. Sorry to hear of his early death. I may have met you as well, because when his wife visited in port with two children, I remember making them both small morse code practice sets joined by a long wire.
Best wishes
Bob (Radio Officer Sagamore, 1963 - 1965)

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 20th March 2014, 14:36

well bob! the joys of the interweb! i remember our morse code tappers well,we had them in our bedrooms! i have also found out an interesting fact as to how dad slipped his disc, he did it singing frankie and johnny at a christmas party! i have many fond memories of our holidays afloat,and the crew always seemed to have a family feel, albeit sometimes a dysfunctional one!i remember tao too, and his plaintive cries at night, as i slept in the ship's hospital....happy days. thanks for replying John.
Old 23rd March 2014, 09:23
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1981

I've just come across this thread and read the bit about damage in a storm....I was junior R/O on the Ripon in late 1964...We were in a real 'hoolie' coming home from Sept Isles (the galley stoves wouldn't stay alight and we were living on corned beef sarnies....I remember chatting to the R/O of another carrier who had sustained serious damage in the same storm.....maybe it was the Sagamore?
Old 17th February 2015, 20:48
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1964 - 2014

Edenmore

Any one still around that was on the edenmore when we where in collision in the English Channel 1964
Old 17th February 2015, 21:17

Don't you mean Edenmore? I was in Sagamore in 1964, finally leaving in the summer of 1965. No collision, but I do remember picking up either a distress or urgency signal from Edenmore after they had a collision in the English Channel. They were badly damaged, but managed to make it to Falmouth.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 7th March 2017, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipbuilder View Post
I joined the SAGAMORE in Glasgow on 18th March, '63 as radio officer. I left on 3rd June 1965 in Barry, to join the B & C group. Very happy years in SAGAMORE. Knew ship's cat very well. Went by the nickname of Mouser. During that time, some names I remember were:
Captains Swann & Wiles.
C/O Taylor, Phil Warne, Thorogood, Firth
2/O Usher, Dabbs,
3/0 Hindmarch, Dyson, Bennett, Hodges
Deck cadets Badger, Farge, Kendrick, Blades, Jones, Watkins, Priestley
Eng cadets Hockenhull
C Eng Sunley, Wendt
2/E Pride, Morley
3/E Gee, Morgan
C/Stwd Dutton, Thompson, Foot-Wengler
Elec Binns, Gear
Bosun Bool
Carpenter Macalinden

Am still in touch with Phill Warne (ex C/O).

Several years later, sailed with one of the ABs (Alfie) in the WINDSOR CASTLE. He was tourist deckman & I was 4th R/0
I'm the BLADES on that list. Remember one voyage from Brazil when we cracked a piston ring in one of the lower cylinders. The ship was rolling heavily during the fix which took a good 12 hours to complete.
Old 7th March 2017, 21:25

Keith, If I remember correctly. I also recall that in Oxelosund, you and I visited the ancient laid-up schooner Svarto, ex Gerda, built in 1906, that we found in a backwater! In fact, here you are, standing on the poop steps!
Bob Wilson ex R/O, Sagamore
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Svarto ex Gerda (Medium).JPG (160.8 KB, 31 views)

Miniature Merchant Ships