Ships Nostalgia banner

sailing ship WESTGATE

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Wildbridge1 
#1 ·
I am currently putting together a history of the full-rigged ship WESTGATE built in Liverpool in 1885 and scuttled as a derelict in the North Atlantic in May 1920. Her builders were R. & J. Evans. Her owners were Samuel R. Chadwick & John Prichard; Gracie, Beazely & Co.; John Stewart (I have the published history); and parties in Mobile, Alabama. I also have her crew lists and logs from Memorial University; her captains' careers from the Guildhall Library; letters about her published in Sea Breezes Magazine; and a number of photos. So far I have little on her builders or her owners prior to John Stewart. Any further leads would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Hello Norman, have just jumped every imaginable hoop to navigate the software surrounding this forum and joining.
My Grandfather sailed aboard Clipper Westgate and I would enjoy knowing anything about the ship. I know it's a late, iron sailing ship which served Australia and broke records and is therefore significant. I have a copy of a letter written by my Grandfather while moored in Sydney in 1897.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.