Riversdale Technical College Liverpool - Page 7 - Ships Nostalgia
22:45

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Riversdale Technical College Liverpool

User Tag List

Old 2nd May 2017, 16:26
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering

Tracing old friends

I was at Riversdale from 1964 to 1966 (for my OND in Engineering) and again 1967-1968 for the Marine endorsements. I was employed by Cunard and spent much time with Jim Diack including being his best man. Jim's home was Edinburgh. I have long since lost contact with Jim but would really like to find out where he now. Does anyone know????? Another person from that period I would like to trace is Michael Chamberlain whose son is my Godson. He used to live in Liverpool. Both of these guys would be around 70 years old now.
Old 12th February 2018, 08:03

Riversdale staff 1955

I've recently been given the attached photo by Keith Scott, who was a BP Tankers apprentice at Riversdale from 1953 to 55. So the initial group.
I was there 1955 to 57 as a Brocks apprentice, so recognise some of the faces. L to R Gordon Kenworthy Neale (Heat Engines), ?, ?, Ken Drysdale (Workshop Practice) and George Harwood(Maths.), I hope I've correctly remembered the subject titles. Can anyone identify the others?The face of the missing gentleman I seem to recognise.
Also many of the postings relating to Riversdale correctly make a strong link to the Aigburth Arms, although I preferred the little Bents further towards Garston which had a warming open fire in the winter. Both are demolished, and the Aigee site now contains sheltered housing. Perhaps upgrading its use for us!
Happy days
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Riversdale.jpg (101.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 13th February 2018, 17:25
Active: 1955 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglebilluk View Post
I've recently been given the attached photo by Keith Scott, who was a BP Tankers apprentice at Riversdale from 1953 to 55. So the initial group.
I was there 1955 to 57 as a Brocks apprentice, so recognise some of the faces. L to R Gordon Kenworthy Neale (Heat Engines), ?, ?, Ken Drysdale (Workshop Practice) and George Harwood(Maths.), I hope I've correctly remembered the subject titles. Can anyone identify the others?The face of the missing gentleman I seem to recognise.
Also many of the postings relating to Riversdale correctly make a strong link to the Aigburth Arms, although I preferred the little Bents further towards Garston which had a warming open fire in the winter. Both are demolished, and the Aigee site now contains sheltered housing. Perhaps upgrading its use for us!
Happy days
Bill
Bill,

Keith Scott (GK Scott)was actually a 1954 Intake BP Marine Engineering Apprentice. 1954 was not the initial entry

The initial (full) group was the 1952 intake consisting of 51 personnel.

The initial BP Marine Engineering group consisted of 6 guys at Acton Technical College who were brought into the BP fold as they finished their independant two year OND Mechanical Engineering Course (no Marine Engineering endorsement) in the summer of 1962.
Three actually failed their OND and were let go. The remaining 3 went to Llandarcy Refinery Apprentices workshops for 6 months and went to sea at the some time on the same ship January 1963 and served 15 months as Apprentices.

Graham

Last edited by Graham Wallace; 13th February 2018 at 17:34..
Old 14th February 2018, 13:32
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1973 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesmi View Post
I was at Riversdale in 1970,71,72 as a Radio Officer student so didn't mix too much with the non-R/Os. I wonder if any ex-Riversdale R/Os are reading this?
Only just noticed your post from a few years back. I was also there 1970-73 then went to sea with Marconi....were you in the hostel (Kinsman House)? My memory for names is not as good as it used to be but don't think we were in the same class? Were you with Garry Black, Pete Barnard, Alan Cloke etc?

All the best

Ivor (aka John Davies)
Old 14th February 2018, 16:25
Department: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by oglebilluk View Post
... the Aigee site now contains sheltered housing. Perhaps upgrading its use for us!
Happy days
Bill
I think it was knocked down and a road widened over it. Could be wrong.
Old 26th February 2018, 01:01
Department: Deck
Active: 1975 - Present

Roger Green

Belated so, I feel I must record on this site, the sad passing of Roger Green 22 October 2017, at a far too young an age.
I was at Riversdale with Roger Sept 78 to July'sh 79 on the OND course Phase 3. A great time had by all, especially the football!
Sadly missed.
Old 14th April 2018, 16:30

Just found this site and glad of it. Brings back many happy memories, was at Riversdale between 70 and 74. Remember well watching Top of the Pops in the common room in Kinsman House to the accompaniment of loud bangs on the roof as some joker dropped anything and everything from the rooms above. The Kinsman opened at this time, before that we used to go to Garston but can’t remember the names of the pubs, maybe something to do with the amount consumed. As for Greasy Annies and the ‘ meat’ and potato pies they were an intergral part of college life. We used to get a week in a cottage in Coniston which I believe belonged to the college where we did a bit of walking and a lot of drinking and a good time was had by all. Happy days indeed. Shame it’s all gone.
Old 16th April 2018, 18:13
Active: 1976 - 1983

Ah, that would be Lawson Park - we had a great week there except the bit where two silly buggers got lost and we had to go out in the dark to find them!

Greasy Annie's too - what memory!
Old 16th April 2018, 21:34

Thanks couldn’t remember the name of the place. It was a guy called Les Cusworth took our group there used to lecture on heat engineering at college.Great guy, had to be to teach me but got me through ok
Old 16th April 2018, 21:43
Active: 1976 - 1983

You're welcome. It was mechanics I struggled with but it dawned one day and was OK from then on! Had Bond for Heat, can't remember the others. Power Plant was Nobby Christian....Harry Scott.....good blokes. Arnie Kirkbride for Electrotech, then Kenny. Seems a long time ago - 76-80.
Old 16th April 2018, 22:02

Don’t recognise most of them but will never forget Arnie with the thick glasses, took us for electrics as well. Good to look back after all these years.

Last edited by Keith Ideson; 17th April 2018 at 18:17..
Old 18th April 2018, 19:24
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Neil,
You have rattled some cobwebs there - I too had Bond for Heat, Nobby and Kenny for Electrotech - I was there for Phase III in 83. Another guy I remember is Dandy but don't know what subject.
Dave
Old 18th April 2018, 20:48
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
In my days ; teachers were George Harwood Maths ; Lt Cmdr Kenworthy Neal
Heat Engines ; Mr Endbinder Electo tech : George Saltrese EK,s and many others
who escape me now ; but the names will come back ( brain is on dead slow ahead in fog ) Derek
Old 19th April 2018, 14:23

My location
Derek, wasn't George Saltrese a BOT examiner at some stage? He seemed to be around forever and then a day!
Rgds.
Dave
Old 21st April 2018, 00:54
Super Moderator
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
George Saltrese

I very much doubt it . George when giving lessons would come out with amazing stories which usually ended up with him telling us he had invented the item under discussion . We had very little belief in most of his stories ; however they were entertaining . Derek
Old 19th November 2018, 20:24

Long Time ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagem (Cornish) View Post
I think that Jim Cullen might have been Jim Culkin.

Now, Riversdale Road was always full of dog **** and Jim, bless him, who was also also resident in River House, used to maintain a map showing all the latest deposits. This was fine when heading to the Aiggie, but a bit (s)hit and miss on the way back to River House.
Hi Greg,

I am replying to your post of 3 years ago so this may not reach you, I hope it does.

I found this site when searching the Net after a recent visit to Liverpool. Good to see that Mike G and Pete Gil are in touch.

Some more names I remember from River House are Bob Mathews, Ray Roberts, Barry Maynard, Teddy Finn and Alan Kevan. From Ferdie’s year I remember Bob Smith and a guy called Fothergill. Alan and I did degrees at Liverpool Poly and I am still in touch with Alan. He lives in Bolton and I live near Market Harborough in Leicestershire.

I have a very, very, very vague memory that I may have produced a dog s**t map but I will proudly take the credit anyway. Of course, It would be different if I had a reputation to loose.

Hope this reaches you, best wishes Jim C.
Old 19th November 2018, 21:16
Active: 1963 - 1970

My location
An age before time, even

Hi Jim,

Yes, it reached me just fine; good to hear from you.

I was in Liverpool on Saturday (17/11/18) and, after June's Calder College reunion lunch, we visited Paddy's Wigwam, where I wondered where both you and Ted Finn may have ended up.

I left EDs in 1970, having sailed as 3rd on Pegu, and went to Sheffield Poly for my degree. Every job bar one since then had something to do with either ships or the sea, although, whilst in the one that didn't, I did design the hydraulic cylinder that operates Peterhead Harbour bridge.

Bob Matthews came from Chester and I was there a couple of weeks ago, but couldn't recall his surname. Yes, I've reached the point in life where I keep losing my place in the script. Mind you, there's still a lot of EDs, of which I have many fine memories.

Best regards,

Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Culkin View Post
Hi Greg,

I am replying to your post of 3 years ago so this may not reach you, I hope it does.

I found this site when searching the Net after a recent visit to Liverpool. Good to see that Mike G and Pete Gil are in touch.

Some more names I remember from River House are Bob Mathews, Ray Roberts, Barry Maynard, Teddy Finn and Alan Kevan. From Ferdie’s year I remember Bob Smith and a guy called Fothergill. Alan and I did degrees at Liverpool Poly and I am still in touch with Alan. He lives in Bolton and I live near Market Harborough in Leicestershire.

I have a very, very, very vague memory that I may have produced a dog s**t map but I will proudly take the credit anyway. Of course, It would be different if I had a reputation to loose.

Hope this reaches you, best wishes Jim C.
Old 20th November 2018, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by makko View Post
Derek, wasn't George Saltrese a BOT examiner at some stage? He seemed to be around forever and then a day!
Rgds.
Dave
I took up Judo in mid 60s in Liverpool,a George Saltrese was a well known Black Belt instructor at the time. Would it be the same person?.
Old 20th November 2018, 21:27

Riversdale & Kinsman House

I was at Riversdale 1970-74 marine engineering. I remember George Saltrese being a Judo expert and he was kicking on in age back then.
Old 23rd November 2018, 15:38

My location
Maybe that is where I remember GS from, judo! I shall have to ask my Dad when I next talk to him.
Rgds.
Dave
Old 6th December 2018, 14:27
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1973 - 1986

Riversdale 1970 - 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesmi View Post
I was at Riversdale in 1970,71,72 as a Radio Officer student so didn't mix too much with the non-R/Os. I wonder if any ex-Riversdale R/Os are reading this?
Hello Steve - I should probably remember you as I was a Marine Radio Student at Riversdale 1970-73. I lived in Kinsman House (the Tower Block Hostel , 6th floor) all of that time.

Managed to pass my MPT and City & Guilds and got a job with Marconi. Had my interview in Pall Mall, Liverpool alongside Pete Barnard who had been in the other radio class but also lived in the hostel.

I stayed with Marconi until I was made redundant in 1986 and now live in Aberystwyth, Mid Wales which was where I came from originally.

All the best

john Davies ( aka Ivortheengine)
Old 15th December 2018, 21:14
Active: 1984 - 2002

Hi at Riversdale for phase 1 engineering 84-86 then back in 88 for phase 3. Only girlie doing engineering at the time. Does anyone remember Mr Christian? Can't remember the tutors name that took machine shop who's pride and joy was his Morgan. Good days.
Old 16th December 2018, 22:40

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna.endeavour View Post
Hi at Riversdale for phase 1 engineering 84-86 then back in 88 for phase 3. Only girlie doing engineering at the time. Does anyone remember Mr Christian? Can't remember the tutors name that took machine shop who's pride and joy was his Morgan. Good days.
Nobby Christian, remember him well! I did phase 3 in 1983 at Riversdale. We were told that pumps/hydraulics never came up. We did not study hydraulics. They did! All 18 of us in Ocean Fleets had to repeat our exams. I am very au fait still with pumps.
Rgds.
Dave
Old 1st January 2019, 00:20

My location
George Saltrese

Quote:
Originally Posted by makko View Post
Maybe that is where I remember GS from, judo! I shall have to ask my Dad when I next talk to him.
Rgds.
Dave
Well,

Talking with my Dad, I got chapter and verse on George Saltrese.

Apparently, he was a bit of a mystery man. He went to sea with Blue Funnel. He was a master of Ju Jitsu and Judo and was on the Welsh Judo Board. According to my Dad, George was a very underrated Dan belt.

His main interest was Mu Shin, the empty mind. The symbol in Chinese is a simple circle in a broad black ink brush stroke. Mu Shin is the concentration of the mind to produce nothing. It can be used as a defence/weapon in very precarious situations. The eyes take on a glassy, dead appearance, the person has no thoughts and become almost hollow, a sort of "living dead". The whole point being, where does the mind/soul go when someone goes Mu Shin? George was very coy on the subject and would allude to time/space travel!

He was also a master of Shiatsu, the manipulation of nerves, making people unconscious/dead and bringing them back. Now a lost/black art in modern Judo.

One day, he turned up, out of the blue, at a Judo grading. he got talking to my Dad and asked him to help organize a Shiatsu course. This, they duly did. George's fee was only petrol money from his home in North Wales.

George set up the Shiatsu Association as head and my Dad became Secretary. However, before it took off, George had a car accident. Although he survived unscathed, according to him because he went Mu Lin a split second before the impact, age took its toll and he passed away.

He left all his papers and writings to my Dad, but Jimmy Griffiths of the Poulton Victoria Judo Club, who was a big mate of George, picked the papers up from George's wife to "give to my Dad". Nuff' said, Jimmy too died and the papers were forever lost.

George shared the same birthday as my Dad. George was "on the square", Woodchurch Lodge.

Apparently (although, looking at the dates, Dad may be confused) George was the leader of the recovery of the HMSm "Thetis" and his photograph featured, aboard the rescue tug, sporting a sidearm in the Liverpool Echo. My Dad has been forever moved by Thetis and the needless loss of life due to burocratic wrangling at the Admiralty.

So there you have it. A little bit of history/nostalgia about a man who created an impression on his students for his love of Marine Engineering and his masterpieces in chalk on a simple blackboard, never to last beyond the end of the class!

RIP - George Saltrese, wherever Mu Lin might have eventually taken you!

Rgds.
Dave

Last edited by makko; 1st January 2019 at 00:38..
Old 13th September 2019, 21:15

Response to Keith Ideson (April 2018). We wee on the same valses on Phase 1 1970-72 & I think Phase 3 in 73/74. Thinking it will be 50 years since we started in September 2020. Are you in touch with anyone else from our year?