Ships Nostalgia banner

Liverpool Pub Nostalgia

34K views 69 replies 36 participants last post by  makko 
#1 ·
#10 ·
Great to see all those old pubs,sadly for me my first pub as a manager was the Clock in St Domingo road,it was a good little pub, a coal fire in the snug and service to, but God forbid if you let the fire go out.I then moveed in the d out to Halewood then Netherley to pubs that I would never dream of including in the list of great Scouse pubs.The last pub I was ever in where your ale was served in the snug,was the Perch Rock in New Brighton it was run by an old Cunard Yank John Gilmore he kept a good pint.

#11 ·
Yesterday I had some business in London Road, Liverpool. I had intended going into MA EGERTONs on my way back to Lime Street station.
sadly this establishment has closed it's doors and can be added to the long list of lost pubs.
Happily Paddy's and The Lord warden are both doing well.
On Dale Street most pubs were very busy.

Good afternoon!!

regards Malky

#13 ·
Oh The Boathouse in Sandhills Lane with the Sandhills opposite and The Atlantic around the corner. Never had a pint in the Boathouse as it was a Bents pub did not like their bitter, the Atlantic had a good pint of Guiness. It was a Higson pub the Sandhills was a Walkers house and more modern than the other two.

#17 ·
The Boathouse was where we went for the last few jars before sailing in the Ivernia on a Friday evening.
If I remember right she used to leave Huskisson Dock at about 21.00, so we had to be back aboard by 20.00, and it was sometimes quite a wrench to leave because that Boathouse was full of some very tasty ladies at the time>
Regards,
Pat [=P]

#14 ·
Liverpool pubs..simply the best in the world.Some of the ones mentioned I must have been in but the drink plays havoc with the memory regarding the pub names.Went on a two day bender with the sparkie I sailed with on the Olivebank,a Liverpublian of the first order(P C Smith)and that was the first experience of the hospitaltity of those fine establishments.

#18 ·
The Cottage on the dockroad,I only visited it a few times,not a place I would have gone home with a lady from as a couple of lads I sailed with, sailed with more than they bargained for,one of them was allergic to penicillan and the chief steward nearly killed him,left him ashore in Las Palmas.

#20 ·
If you don't mind me crossing the Mersey........about 1978 I was acting as a Cargo Super. jointly with a BP Super. loading some project cargo in Birkenhead,
The dockers at that time were 'touchy' about the job as using the floating cranes was a priority but they could make more money on car carriers, which our gangs had missed out on...........so long breaks ensued! They came back after a lengthy lunch break,we hadn't had any, and called a meeting......

We backed off and went looking for something to eat....only place open advertising food was The Bidston on Wallesey Road...I got the last portion of 'Scouse Pie'..and 10 minutes later wished I hadn't as the worst case of projectile vomiting I have ever had took place............my BP colleague had a ham sandwich so no ill effects........

geoff

#24 ·
A Few mentions of Jimmy Rickets on this thread, sailed with Jim on the Mauritania a character if ever there was one,had a photo of us all a Caribean port but unfortunatley Ive lost, a member asked me about it sometime back ,sorry I didnt reply. There were lots of characters on the Maurie most of us got the sack after the cruises I think the bosun was a Welshman.

#25 ·
Jimmy Ricketts was a great shipmate, a good seaman and a source of amazing yarns. Jimmy was one of those people to whom things happen. He was always finding himself in trouble not of his own making.for instance, ashore one night in Manhattan, and wandering around in 42nd Street he quite innocently asked a passer by did he know where there was a gent's toilet. The passer by summoned a policeman, and Jimmy was banged up in the slammer on a charge of importuning!
Regards,
Pat(Jester)

#26 ·
Jimmy Ricketts.

Pat,Tom,
do you know if Jimmy has a son.? I sailed with a Gerry Ricketts deep sea,and in 1983 flew out to Brest Dry Dock to work by and bring over a Norwegean Jack-up Rig to Morecambe Bay Gas Field. He is from Kirkby and would be 60 +yrs old.
As for those Dock Rd pubs, I must have had a Pint in most of them over the years, from the North End to the Dingle.Happy Days.(Jester)
ttfn.Peter.

#27 ·
Peter,
I dont recall if Jimmy ever mentioned a son, but I believe he did live In Kirkby.
Jimmy was about 45 when I sailed with him in 1964.
regards,
Pat

#28 ·
Sailed with Jimmy from Oct 64 to March 65 cant even recall if he was married or not certainly I mnever heard him mention children. He did have a niece who worked in NY and lots of her mates used to visit us on the Ivernia when in NY, but I dont recall his niece visiting. Some of the girls were from far and wide in the UK a number of them were from Sale in Cheshire, cockneys and some Scandinavians plus the Scouse ladies oh the Glaswegians also.

#30 · (Edited)
I stand here proud and alone,at the moment anyway,I ran the Cooksons Bridge for 2 and a half long,hard years.From late 77-early 80 I was the licensee of what was then,officially the Taylors Arms.It was always known as Cooksons after the Cookson family who had it as a tenancy for ages,their son Jimmy Junior played for Everton and it was a shrine to Liverpools famous second team.Let me tell you boys,it took a ex-seafarer to control,I`ve never met a group of people with more of a propensity for gratuitous violence.they would fight for any reason whatsoever.
Memorable customers include,Jon Big Gun Cannon,Norman The Human Hosepipe Clucas,Easy Edna.Sue The Snug S**t,Jose Garcia,Nice Barney and `orrible Barney,Scon`ead;and of course my barmaids The Red Setter and Our Irene.
It had been managed for 2 years when I took over and still had dead pigeon corpses in the old lofts down in the cellars,apparantly when Greenalls gave young Jimmy the chance to apply for the tenancy he went for his interview with pigeon s**t on his tie and seemed surprised when he didn`t get the job.
I earned,saved and squandered a fortune there,still 32 years later haven`t had as much fun in those years combined as I had at Cooksons.

#31 ·
When I joined Alfred Holt as a junior engineer in 1959, I was based in the Birkenhead workshop but each day travelled on the ferry and overhead railway to Seaforth KG 5 dock to work aboard ship. I heard the local lads talking about a pub which they pronounced the Kara Dock. After a few days I ventured to join them after work for a pint. I still have to smile about the first sighting of the pub sign. Being Welsh I immediately pronounced it correctly as the Caradoc (the emphasis being on the second 'a' in the name). The pub is still open and I occasionally pass it if I am going north. Happy memories.

#32 ·
When I joined Alfred Holt as a junior engineer in 1959, I was based in the Birkenhead workshop but each day travelled on the ferry and overhead railway to Seaforth KG 5 dock to work aboard ship. I heard the local lads talking about a pub which they pronounced the Kara Dock. After a few days I ventured to join them after work for a pint. I still have to smile about the first sighting of the pub sign. Being Welsh I immediately pronounced it correctly as the Caradoc (the emphasis being on the second 'a' in the name). The pub is still open and I occasionally pass it if I am going north. Happy memories.
That would be Gladstone Dock, Flintite. KGV Dock was where the Blueys tied up in Glasgow, and the Overhead Railway didnt run that far!
Regards,
Pat(Jester)

#40 ·
My apologies, the mists of time have clouded my memory. BUT, I have no recollection of ever taking a bus to Gladstone dock, only of the OH railway. My last signing off was in London (KG 5?)
Flintite
Well just to put matters straight, there was a bus service which more or less mirrored the route of the Overhead Railway from the Pierhead to Gladstone Dock gate in Seaforth, just across the road from the Caradoc, and its neighbour, the Winifred. This was the number one bus route.
the Overhead Railway was demolished, as Barry says, in 1957, and shipped out to Japan as scrap. My first ship, the Achilles, carried a few hundred tons of it to Kobe in 1958.
The Overhead Railway had 19 stations between Dingle in the South to Seaforth and Litherland in the North. Seaforth Sands, the penultimate station was where you got off for Gladstone Dock.

There are 3 KGV Docks in the UK, London, Hull, and Glasgow. The Glasgow KGV was Blue Funnel's Scottish base, there were often three or four Blueys loading and discharging there during the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

Attachments

#36 ·
Barrie

I have a good scouse m8 i sailed with from seaforth L;pool, Your correct the old dockers umbrella ran further than seaforth but only to Seaforth Sands. When the overhead train pulled into Seaforth @Litherland Station it was switched back onto the overhead. You could then take an L,M,S,Train as far north as Southport. He also informs me there was and i can never remember a KG5 in Lpool that was in London docks. The pub on Merseyside RED RUM,,, I once asked the trainer at Aintree race course were he got the name for the great horse explaining i had drank every rum under the sun at sea but never red rum??????? He replied spell it backwards?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.